A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,303
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Finished top and a question  (Read 2783 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

poerava
« on: February 04, 2009 02:07:16 PM »

I finished my 1st quilt top today. It's about 36"x36" which is a little small for a toddler so I want to add a border.
My question is would you go with a light or a dark color for the border?

It is made with half of Moda Jelly roll, essential dots collection

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Poerava
Please consider being a bone marrow/stem cell donor, you could help save a life. http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html
I have vintage sewing pattern in various sizes available for trade. Also a vintage knitting booklet available. pm if intereste
danni42683
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009 02:30:31 PM »

I don't know what color I would use  I am not good at that kind of stuff AT ALL! (My husband goes fabric shopping with my I pick out main fabric and he picks out fabrics to match he is OCD about the color wheel!!lol)
But I wanted to say that I LOVE this it is such an awesome twist on a rail fence pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melo.joyce
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009 02:42:55 PM »

Oh, wow! This is so cool!
I've never done any kind of quilting, but I really want to...
I think you should go with a dark color... (Hmmm... After googling 'toddler' that I didn't know what it was, I'm not so sure...)^^
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009 02:44:05 PM by melo.joyce » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ninjanator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009 02:44:01 PM »

ooh i love it Smiley I'd go with a lighter colour just cause I associate the rainbow with a light sky Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
kuzatab
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009 02:52:24 PM »

That is really fun!!  You could really use any color at all for the border.  A darker one would be a little more "formal," it would act as a frame, defining the physical space of the quilt and pulling you into it.  A lighter one would feel more active, almost as if the colors are spilling out into the world.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Christine420
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009 03:32:21 PM »

Beautiful! I think a dark color would make the brightness of this really pop!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LibbyK

Eres la fea mas bella y no te has dado cuenta...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009 03:38:40 PM »

I agree that there are a lot of different things that could work - I was thinking maybe gray, but the idea of light blue like the sky seems cool.  You could also use a multi-colored juvenile print.  I personally wouldn't use black, just because I feel like that would make it really serious.

Looks great!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://quiltster.blogspot.com

If you are working on (or thinking about starting) a postage stamp quilt with 1.5" squares, I have scraps and squares to give away.  PM me if you're interested.
momster
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009 03:47:20 PM »

Wow that's stunning.  Maybe you could do a dark top & bottom border & light borders on the side?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009 06:18:29 PM »

Very pretty!

I think there are 2 options you could go with:

1)  a dark blue (like navy) border

2)  make multiple borders, the closest one to the center being dark blue, then a lighter border (maybe similar to one of the colors in the section with yellow and creams) and then another dark blue border.

Personally, I'd go with option 2 since it would follow your theme of 3 stripes.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009 06:19:27 PM by Homerof2 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bridgeywidgey
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009 01:58:56 AM »

Lovely!  Smiley

I think I would do a dark inner border, maybe navy blue.  Then, if you can still use some of that Jelly roll, I would piece a border using sections of that, with sections pieced end on end.  Then another dark border.  Thats just me though!

Its beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laural
I like exclamation points!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009 04:04:10 AM »

Well my mom would sit and analyze whether you should go with white, which is the combination of all colors, or black, which is the absence of all colors.

Me, I would go with whatever color the dots are, assuming they are all one color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Let's put the FUN back in dysfunctional!!

Wists: http://wists.com/PrincessLaural
sloth003
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009 05:25:46 AM »

I too am of the three thin border mind set.  i would use a darkish grey tho ( its my personal favourite neutral) and i love the idea of a pieced inner border.

Good luck and i can't wait to see the finished project
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seeking scraps! I'm in need of a variety of white on white scraps. (2.5inch square minimum) for pixel quilts. Have any? Swap for? PM me! Smiley

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009 08:04:51 AM »

I'd probably use a white border.  It would remind me of clouds.  I know, that sounds immensely silly.  Grin

I think it's beautiful!  Smiley  Let us see it when it's completely finished, please!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Padester
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009 10:50:27 AM »

If it weren't for a toddler, I'd say use black, as that would really offset the rainbow colors nicely.  But you'd want to go with something a bit less severe, I think.  I'd still go darker, though, so either a navy blue like others have suggested, or that 3-stripe border with the two outer stripes dark blue and the inner maybe pieced, or just bright yellow or orange or some other of your favorite bright color from the quilt.

Great work!  I like the brightness of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009 01:53:50 PM »

White!  I love the way it looked with my color wheel quilt. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
evaberry
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009 10:59:12 PM »

That's gorgeous. I would go with a dark border to really make the colours pop out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IamSusie
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2009 10:05:57 AM »

I would not use white. I think red or bright blue would be a good choice or possibly "dark".  The only way to know for sure is to hold your quilt up against the bolts of fabric at the fabric store and seeing what seems right.  I sometimes ask the ladies at the cutting table for an opinion.  They usually like to help. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mambosushi
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2009 12:15:19 PM »

Lots of options for your border on this one.  Very nice.  I would put a narrow light inner border, then a wider bright outer border.  It would make it larger without it being mostly one border, it would look "framed".  Anyway you go, it's beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Dor
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009 06:31:41 PM »

Very nice.  It reminds me of my Grandma's pattern she used all the time only yours is way better colors.  Looks like you've gotten a lot of opinions for your border.  I like their idea of a triple border but, I would go with something that wouldn't show dirt with a toddler.  They like to drag them around and I don't think white would be the best choice even though it might look nice.  Good luck.  I think what ever you use will be fine with all the colors you already have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Padester
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009 05:10:16 AM »

So - what did you decide?  Any pics of the finished product?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poerava
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009 04:45:48 PM »

I have found fabric for the inner border -black with multicolor dots (same colors as the quilt)-, I am probably going to make it 1" wide. I am still looking for the outer border fabric, I would love to find a blue sky with clouds type fabric.
Thanks for all the comments.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/Poerava
Please consider being a bone marrow/stem cell donor, you could help save a life. http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Join_the_Donor_Registry/index.html
I have vintage sewing pattern in various sizes available for trade. Also a vintage knitting booklet available. pm if intereste
SimplySandy
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009 12:20:35 PM »

What a fun quilt! I'm making a quilt with different dot fabric now. They are so much fun and bright.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Buckleigh
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009 07:01:56 PM »

oooo...that black with multi-color dots sounds nice.   Hope you post a pic after you finish.

Buck
crafty guy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Paper Hat
World-Renowned Origami Artist Brings Iconic Music Artists to Life
How to Make a Paper Boat
How to Make an Origami Box
How to Make an Origami Jumping Frog
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!
April 29, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...