A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
597 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jack and Sally  (Read 4360 times)
Tags for this thread: movie_monsters , nightmare_before_christmas  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishgurll
« on: February 03, 2009 11:22:20 PM »

My first post - and apparently because of the rules I cannot post my pictures yet... Eff!!

And it's a bit late, hah, considering they were my boyfriend's and my halloween costumes - but I finally tracked down some pictures, these my Dad took before we left for a party.

Everything was handmade. For Sally I started with plain white fabric in five different textures which I dyed to get my colour palate. I'm a total perfectionist and nothing I found was working for me... This way I got exactly what I wanted. I even went so far as to rip open a pen, steal the ink and add that to my pot of dye just to get the result I wanted. And of course, my need for perfection led to referencing movie stills to get the look of the dress just right.

From the front...

From the back...

I wanted the look of the legs and the arms just right (hah, naturally) so I used two pairs of white stockings and I hand sewed with wool Sally's stitches. For my face, after the makeup (and gaudy fake eyelashes - which were oh-so-fantasmo) I cut inch long pieces of wool and using the eyelash glue I stuck them to my face to match the wool stitches on my arms and legs - I totally impressed myself with that one...

Shot of my face/make-up (and Jayson being awesome in the back)...

Jayson and I together...

For the Jack Skellington side I had a lot more trouble. This was my first stab at men's clothing and I'm really glad it went as well as it did. That being said, the pants are made from scratch (where it became extremely obvious to me that boys do not have the same parts nor do they have the same overall shape as girls, eff...) and I altered a old pattern for a shirt-dress to make the jacket.

From the front...

From the back...

For the make-up I covered him with a layer of normal white make-up to protect his skin but I used black acrylic paint to get the vibrancy/opaqueness for his eyes and mouth. Mostly, I was really pleased with the result and the paint held up really well (except around the mouth... after a little partying/snogging/getting festively tanked)

Anyway... Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my boyfriend's favourite movies and naturally it was well worth all the trouble! Smiley

I hope ya'll enjoy!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010 02:02:15 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed links to images » THIS ROCKS   Logged

- I use antlers in all of my decorating -
Solarwen
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009 07:16:06 AM »

oooh o_0 I likes what I see! The colours and fabrics you picked for your Sally dress are great, they have that muted Burtonesque feel and great job on the Jack pants and jacket! It has a very Joker+Harley channeling Jack+Sally or perhaps the other way around CX Great job!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishgurll
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009 08:00:53 AM »

oooh o_0 I likes what I see! The colours and fabrics you picked for your Sally dress are great, they have that muted Burtonesque feel and great job on the Jack pants and jacket! It has a very Joker+Harley channeling Jack+Sally or perhaps the other way around CX Great job!!!

Thanks so much!!
My boyfriend mentioned that he felt a little like the joker too. I think it was the hair, haha, but maybe its cause the joker face was so insanely popular last year...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Solarwen
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009 06:31:25 AM »

Well it's the whole look really (: The make-up definitely has a more "maniacal" feel than Jack haha but I like it, it's dark and less kiddy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishgurll
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009 09:56:17 AM »

Yeah, I know what you mean.
If you think about it Sally is basically human shaped. Jack on the other hand is ridiculously tall and thin (he's a skeleton after all) and he has a giant round head, not so human shaped... A little is added and lost in translation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pjhamel
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009 01:29:12 PM »

OMG!!! I am in love with your guys' costumes. And here I went as a simple pirate. Arggh! Great job on everything - the costumes, the makeup. You both look fabulous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will happily do personal swaps for beads, buttons, and fat quarters!

My Pinterest
swans.
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009 02:07:18 PM »

Those are the best Jack and Sally costumes i have ever seen
in my entire life. You get major props from me. Those are
fantasticccc!! Jack does remind me a little bit of the Joker
((as others have stated)). But it is still awesome and i
think you just did an amazing job. i have to stop babbling
now or i will just be telling you for five pages how neato i think
it all is. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scarfish
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009 12:19:47 AM »

your costumes are so unbelievably adorable!!! esp sally  Cheesy thats the best sally dress EVER i kinda want one just to wear!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishgurll
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009 09:39:24 AM »

My sewing ego is wiggling with delight.  Thanks everyone for the kind words! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Siesna

Got it memorized?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009 03:03:54 PM »

I've seen a lot of crappy Jack and Sally costumes, but I must say, these have to be the best I've seen! Good show!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Insari Sushi Recipe
Vietnamese Shrimp Skewers Recipe
Crab Meat Salad Recipe
Indian Lentil Stew Recipe
Turkey and Ginger Panini Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
April 17, 2015 Featured Projects
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Mini-Cabinet
Laundry Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...