A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
374 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: meditation labyrinth  (Read 11431 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2009 07:37:47 AM »

I am trying to finish my dissertation and graduate in the next few months (that would be THE resolution), and I am having anxiety attacks over it. My other resolution is to cope with stress and anxiety by meditating daily. I made a finger labyrinth to facilitate the process.

First, I traced an eleven-circuit labyrinth with a pencil onto a piece of fabric. I decided to trace the path instead of the walls of the labyrinth so that I could make it with one continuous piece of cord. I started with six yards of drapery cord and couched it with a matching color of embroidery floss. I've never done couching before, and I love the process and the end result. I will definitely try more couching later.

To use it, you lay your finger on top of the cord and follow it all the way to the center and back out. For more info on using labyrinths for meditation go here:
http://www.labyrinthsociety.org/

Here is an in-progress photo:

And here is a close-up of the couching:

Because the cord is twisted and the thread matches it, you can barely see the couching threads.

This will be my last post for a long time because I can't craft anymore until my dissertation is done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kstaron
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009 08:18:21 AM »

very nice work. I love using a labryinth for meditation and peace.  Good luck on your dissertation!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jatoha
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009 08:31:36 AM »

I love this, it's fantastic!  It must be wonderful to move your finger over that cord.

My family stumbled upon a labyrinth when traveling a few years ago.  My kids raced through it while my husband and I walked slowly through.  I've been hooked on them ever since, it's very meditative.

This is really beautiful.  Best of luck with your dissertation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

envirocraft
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009 09:50:42 AM »

This is gorgeous!  I like that it serves a purpose, yet it's pretty and decorative. 

I think I might have to make something similar for myself.  I'd use the excuse that engineering school is keeping me too busy to get it done, but seeing as how you're working on a dissertation, I don't have an excuse! lol Best of luck with that.  I have  a friend finishing hers, and I know she wants to rip her hair out, and I can imagine you feel the same way! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Crafts in 2010 27/50 http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=332114.msg3973417#msg3973417

http://envirocraftiness.blogspot.com/
melar
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009 10:27:39 AM »

I love this. I came across labyrinths awhile back and always wanted to make one. I never thought of making the path, instead of the walls. Great idea! Thanks for the labyrinth link. I'll definitely check it out. Good luck with your dissertation. Smart to make the labyrinth to help ease your mind through such a tough period.  Tongue Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You cannot use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have. ~ Maya Angelou
selkie

Duct tape and zipties will fix EVERYTHING!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009 02:26:30 PM »

Your labyrinth is beautiful! I've never seen one with the path before and I think that's probably the best idea i've seen in a really long time!
Selkie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Power is strength and the ability to see yourself through your own eyes and not through the eyes of another. It is being able to place a circle of power at your own feet and not take power from someone else's circle.

Agnes Whistling Elk
sarahmakes
Sarah likes to make stuff.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009 05:20:33 PM »

Thanks, everybody! One result of tracing the path is that the process of laying the cord was similar to walking a labyrinth--I just followed the path much more slowly. Completing this craft was a meditative experience in itself. I do like the feeling of the cord on my fingertip when I'm tracing it. That sensation gives me something to focus on to help me calm down and feel more stable.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009 05:30:48 PM »

so you just trace around the labyrnith with your finger over and over, or just stare at it?  Not sure how it facilitates meditation.....  But apparently others would find it relaxing.... I just can't see how it would be.   What ever floats your boat I guess. 

But, it is very pretty and the couching is done very well!  I think I'd hang it on my wall, as a piece of art Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009 06:07:13 PM »

I so want to touch this! It's just so pretty, and the cord looks so touchable! I never would have thought to do the path instead of the walls, either. I don't meditate, but I can absolutely see how this would have a calming influence.

We have a program in our school for autistic kids, and I wonder if I made a couple of pillows like these if it would help during some of the more stressful moments...

Thanks for posting such an inspiring project!

Oh... one quick question- How did you keep the ends of the cord from unraveling. I have some of this cord in blue, and it drives me insane when I try to work with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
boogirl1984
"If she wants to rock, she rocks. If she wants to roll, she rolls."

Carolina Girl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009 06:11:34 PM »

Oh wow that is lovely.  Great work and I hope this helps you de-stress!

Sort of related, I've done something similar my entire life, just tracing my finger on edges of a desk or cushion or something, almost sub-consciously, to just let myself zone out for a bit.  I never thought of it as sort of like meditation, I'm going to have to look more into this, thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS4 - Software Review
How to Make a Fire Canvas Painting - Photoshop CS3
How to Make a Clashing Planets Scene - Adobe Photoshop Part 1/2
How to Make a Clashing Planets Scene - Adobe Photoshop Part 2/2
How to Download Custom Brushes - Adobe Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...