A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 303,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
700 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Present for Nanny  (Read 2863 times)
Tags for this thread: template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: February 03, 2009 06:38:06 AM »

Ok, so my mom (Nanny to my kids) is a travel nurse.  This makes it difficult to give her pictures of the kids to remember them by while she's away.  She can't really drag around a bunch of framed pictures from city to city.  So, I came up with this idea to have each of my kids (the two that are old enough anyway; my youngest is only 2) embroider a little picture that could then be made into a card.  The card will stand up by itself and act as a sort of frame and the little piece of embroidery will warm her heart every time she looks at it Smiley.    Anyway, I asked my middle child, Sebastian, (he's 5) if he wanted to do that.  Surprisingly, he was pretty into it.  I asked him what kind of a design he would want if he could pick anything at all and he said "a heart inside of a heart inside of another heart" so I made that in AutoShapes and traced it out onto a piece of an old shirt of his.  I ironed it down to some interfacing and then let him pick out his floss colors.  I showed him how to do the first couple stitches and then he went at it by himself.  Here are a few pictures of him working hard:

He does pretty much everything in his underwear, so why not embroidery, heeehee.

Here it is once he finished:

It's obviously imperfect and obviously done by a small child, but that's what I love about it.  It's SO a little piece of him, know what I mean?  BTW, those are his initials (S H) and the year at the bottom.  Anyhow, then came the card-making part of things.  I just have this template thing that I got from Hobby Lobby that allows you to make a card and envelope out of any kind of paper.  I let Sebastian pick out the papers for the inside and outside of the card and we glued them together (he loves to use a glue stick, heh).  We then glued his embroidery to the front of the card (after ironing, of course) and it looks like this:

Then we glued a piece of craft paper to the inside and I had him write a little message to Nanny.  I told him to write whatever he wanted.  Here's that:

In case it's hard to make out, it says "Nanny, I love you with three hearts".  Awwww!!  Also, I think it's hilarious that he then wrote his name in the top corner like he was at school or something.

Lastly, we made an envelope out of craft paper and used a cutout of one of the leftover bits of paper to seal it.  Here's that:

Ok, the best part?  I had the pictures of him working on it printed out and put them in the card.  I know she'll cry when she gets it.  My mom's a crier.  But, I'm not gonna lie.  I teared up a couple times when I looked over at him stitching away and concentrating so fiercely on something for his Nanny.  He'd take a break once in a while and then he'd say "Well, back to sewing".  It was great!  My oldest (she's 10) will do one next.

P.S.  Sorry that some of the pictures are so crappy.  It was cold and cloudy and we had to take them inside.

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009 06:42:51 AM »

That's really sweat! I teared up reading this! It's a fantastic idea, I'm sure she'll love it as I think any Mom/Nanny/Aunt/Anything would. Smiley

"Every day is better than the last!" -Logan, age 6

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009 06:45:00 AM »

What a sweet idea!  I might have to steal this for my mom for mother's day!
and what a darling little man you have!

"The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues."
-Elizabeth Taylor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009 06:50:04 AM »

oh my goodness, that is the sweetest thing EVER. I'm sure Nanny will treasure it. Smiley

I am and always will be a proud NIU Huskie. 2-14-08, we will always remember.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
 -Margaret Mead

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009 07:23:39 AM »

What a sweet idea! Sebastian did a marvelous job. I'm sure the recipient will be touched and impressed.
(And frankly, though I'm not even related to him, I teared up a bit, too.)
There are 10 types of people in this world...

...those who know binary, and those who don't.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009 08:44:03 AM »

If Sebastian were my son, I would be sooooo bursting with pride!!!  As I'm sure you are!!!  Great mom's make great sons!   What a great kid!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009 10:52:05 AM »

Adorable! I'm so impressed with his idea too, it's amazing how creative children can be and his design was really appropriate. I hope he will want to do more in the future so we can see how your little protege is coming along   Cheesy

Tutorial Contributor

Member of the Papercraft Gang

Gimme some sugar baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009 11:41:04 AM »

That's fantastic! He did a great job Smiley

P.S. I love that he does everything in his undies. My 5yo has taken to wearing old stained tanktops the moment he gets home.

Poking myself with needles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009 12:43:07 PM »

That is so sweet, and such a thoughtful gift.  I would love to receive something like that!

Lovely bags, clutches, and home decor!

My Flickr!

~*Cutie Patootie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009 02:35:58 PM »

that is one of the cutest most thoughtful gifts ever..i'm sure your mom would love it!  Smiley

!Current Swaps!
October 2009 Birthday Swap
Celebrating Twilight
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Getting Started
Canon XSi/450D: Set White Balance Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Spot Meter Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Shutter Priority (Tv) Function
Canon XSi/450D: Set Image Quality/Resolution Function
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...