A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,559
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sculpey 3 and the new Studio don't blend?  (Read 631 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mpicky
« on: February 02, 2009 06:16:44 PM »

They are made by the same company.

I bought 2 colors of the new studio clay, I decided to play around and make a skinner blend with 3 colors.  The Studio clay is pretty soft, so I wanted to use a softer clay to add to the blend (not FIMO!).  So, I used Scupley 3 white in the middle of the 2 Studio colors (blush and iris).  I conditioned each color really well, made carrots out of them and ran them through my pasta machine.  As the clay began to blend, the blush color began to peel off of the top of the white.  The Iris blended okay, but not well, like I am used to with Skinner blends.  When I make them, I try to stay with the same brand, maybe this is a lesson learned. But, I do that because one will blend faster than another due to consistency, not because it will peel off! But, I have never experienced anything like this, it sucks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009 07:48:08 AM »

I haven't heard of anyone combining Studio by Sculpey with any other brand or line of polymer clay, but here are a few things about it from my website:

...when raw, it has a sort of suede, papery, foamy feel and texture
(because of that it doesn't stick to itself very well when raw, and also probably won't stick well to plain metal or glass without adding glue, etc.) and it takes a little longer to mix colors together
... resists fingerprints though because of the fabric-y texture
...is initially soft and not-sticky, but can get too soft or even sticky with more than a little handling or pasta machining, or with warm hands ...conditions about like Sculpey III (but some reports that when older, can be crumbly when conditioning)

So it sounds like its consistency is just so "cottony" and "dry" that it might not mix easily with regular polymer clays, and is in fact acting like a material that resists the clay (like plain paper would do).  It might just take a longer time to mix though, or you could try mixing an additive into it first it to see if that improves things (liquid clay, Diluent-Softener, Vaseline, veg.oil, glycerine, etc.).

(If you want to read more about the characteristics of Studio by Sculpey line of Polyform's clay, check out this page at my site, under The Sculpeys > Studio by Sculpey:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Characteristics.htm )

Report back if you find out anything more about that!

Diane B.

And P.S., in the case of Polyform in particular, just because they manufacture various lines of polymer clay doesn't at all mean that those lines are the same in characteristics, handling, etc. (in fact, Premo was developed by someone who really didn't like the Polyform clays but used their chemist to create her own characteristics for that line).  The characteristics of the Polyform-manufactured polymer clays are actually all over the place now that they're making quite a few lines!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2009 08:00:12 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
IcedDecember
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009 09:35:53 PM »

I've mixed Sculpey Premo with the Studio Scupley and had it turn out all right, but I did find the Studio clay to be a bit more crumbly in general, making it difficult to mix.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Noadi
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009 01:51:22 PM »

A straight mix of studio with other polymer clays will work because you're really working them thoroughly together but studio doesn't even really like sticking to itself so things like skinner blends are harder to pull off because of the layering.  If I was going to do it I'd probably mix the studio with a neutral color clay like maybe premo frost or white and then use the mixes to do the skinner blend as the stickier clay would help balance the cottony studio texture. I haven't tried this as I rarely do skinner blends but worth the experimenting if you do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Halo Braid on Short Hair
Graphic Eyeliner at the Custo Barcelona Spring 2014 Show
Perfect Red Lips at the Monique Lhuillier Spring 2014 Show
Anthony Vaccarello Spring/Summer 2014 - Paris Fashion Week
The Best Beauty Vitamins
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...