A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,523
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Having some problems with this heavy duty snap kit...HELP!  (Read 7184 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Eveamlizya
Lollipop Assassin

Art isn't a hobby...it's a way of LIFE!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2009 02:53:32 PM »

Ok I bought some snaps to put on a wallet over the weekend...
I went to try it out on a scrap piece because I've never used snaps before...
I thought I followed the instructions like it said until it came to actually attaching it with the tools that came with it...what tool am i supposed to use?  I tried just using one, and it says hammer...i did.  I did both sides and it doesn't snap...the posts are still sort of up and in the way...i don't know exactly how much to hammer, which tool to use, or what i'm doing wrong...
PLEASE HELP ME...

Here's the brand and name of the snap:

Here's the instructions on the back:

And here's all the pieces plus the tools:

I really need to know how to do this...I need to finish this wallet b/c I have like 8 more to make...
Thanks ahead of time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BT
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009 07:57:05 AM »

I don't know if this will help much, but I did see Michell Beschen set snaps into leather on this episode of B Original.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/cr_jewelry/article/0,2025,DIY_13762_5251408,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009 01:25:00 PM »

I'll try to help.

A - Take the "decorative/pretty" part of the snap (bottom left in the picture) and push the post through the hole. The decorative/pretty part should be on the outside of the wallet flap.

B - Place the decorative/pretty part on top of the "anvil". Make sure it is on the smooth side of the anvil (that is the round piece above the "attaching tool" and the hole puncher in the picture, it is upside down in the picture).

C - Place the "socket" part of the snap (top left) over the post. Make sure the bowl side is up (so just like it is in the picture.

D - Place the "attaching tool" (bottom right) on top of the post with the end that is on the right in the picture on the end of the post. The little tip that you can just barely see in the picture should sort of "fit" into the end of the post.

E - Whack the end of the "attaching tool" with a hammer several times. The post should split and spread out holding the socket side of the snap in place.

F - Repeat with the other side of the snap. The flat part of the snap should be "inside the wallet" with the post sticking out to the outside. Place the anvil with the raised side up (the way it is in the picture) inside the wallet , under the snap. Place the "stud" side of the snap over the post (as it is in the picture). Place the tip of the "attaching tool" on top of the post and hit the tool with the hammer. Again the post will split and spread out.

How much to hammer? The post should split and spread so the the sides of the post are flat against the snap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet
How to Cut Plexiglas
How to Determine the Value of Your Beanie Babies
How to Design Quilts
How to Develop Basic Welding Skills
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...