A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Nomadic furniture...going where other furniture fears to tread!  (Read 1363 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cherry_faery
« on: February 02, 2009 10:12:21 AM »

First off, I want to say that I hope I'm posting this in the right place.  Please do let me know if it should go somewhere else.   Grin  Alrighty then!

My adventures in cardboard began a while back when I moved.  I had a ton of boxes left over from the move and even though I offered to give them to anyone who might need them for anything I could think of, no one would take them off my hands.  Living in a single bedroom apartment, this quickly became a problem and for a long time, my excessive amount of cardboard boxes piled up in my little storage room.  Last spring I discovered that you could make furniture from cardboard through this link here:http://www.instructables.com/id/Cardboard-shelf-for-groceries/

Here is the result:

Here are 2 shots from before I painted the shelf

And 2 after shots.

Thanks for looking! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make anything except a straight line.
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009 10:24:22 AM »

Ha! That is absolutely awesome! I love, love, love the shape/design of it. It's very sleek and chic!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
cherry_faery
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009 10:35:59 AM »

Thank you muchly for the comment!   Cheesy

The design was inspired by something an Ikea catalogue, actually.  I think the best part about building cardboard furniture is that you can technically still go shopping and tailor what you see to what you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009 11:46:55 AM »

That looks pretty darn good for cardboard!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

like_cairo
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009 08:21:09 PM »

Very impressive! And it will be so easy to move around. Is there a weight limit recommended, or is it kind of touch and go?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_faery
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009 01:01:47 AM »

Thank you thank you!

As far as the weight limit goes, it depends on how thick the cardboard is.  That said, you'd be surprised how well those supports work.  I kept adding weight to things like the cubby shelf or the top while I was building it and I was pretty impressed at how much it could take.  Something like this little table probably won't support a person but it would hold up a stack of decently heavy text books.  There are people who've made China cabinets out of cardboard and had them hold up nicely. 

Hopefully I've answered your question to some degree.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blackchampayne

...Pain Passion Soul...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009 04:21:23 PM »

I read all of that tutorial (to be honest it's a little hard to follow without reading it a few times and googling some words lol) but I am moving cities in a few weeks and I definately want to try the circular swirl shelf idea with the boxes I'll have left over.
Did you cover yours with glossy tape prior to painting? I think I'll try that paper framers tape (that framers use to seal the mounting at the back) and brown paper....much more expensive though....and somewhat defeating the purpose of recycling the boxes...
I suppose a lot less tree goes into paper than furniture though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am a beautiful pig...and no one can tell me otherwise Cheesy
cherry_faery
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009 12:10:52 AM »

I know what you mean about the tutorial.  I had to read it a few times myself but if you follow the pictures, you should be able to get what you're looking to do.  I would say, for a first time project, it's great to start with something simple just to get the hang of it.

As far as the glossy coating, yes that is tape and no you shouldn't do this with clear packing tape like I did.  I started thinking too much when I did this and worried about too much moisture making the cardboard too weak.  The biggest reason that you shouldn't cover it tape like I did is that it makes the surfaces bumpy.  No matter how hard I tried to get the tape to go on straight and flat, it doesn't work.  If you coat the whole thing with a sealer after you paint it, it should be fine.  Depending on the cardboard, you could also try decoupaging it or paper mache too.

Good luck with the move and happy building!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Are Juice Cleanses a Good Idea?
Gwyneth Paltrow Reveals Skin Care Secrets
Helpful Makeup Tools That Make Application Easier
DIY Organic Face Mask for Smooth, Hydrated Skin
Follow Just One Step to Lighten Dark Spots and Acne Scars
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...