A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery Plus Fabric.. How To?  (Read 1418 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JustCheeky
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

View Profile WWW
« on: February 02, 2009 09:38:21 AM »

I'm new to this section of the site, but I'm preparing to purchase my first embroidery machine and I want to make sure that I purchase the necessary machine/software so that I may be able to do the things I've been dreaming in my head.  One of the main things I want to do is this:

It incorporates fabric with embroidery.  I am wondering how this is done... is there special software that is used?  I've seen this technique all over the internet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks and happy sewing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009 02:01:00 AM »

you can buy designs already made that just need to be transferred to your machine to do applique with your embroidery machine.
Or you can buy programs that you can make your own designs with if you want to do more personalised stuff.

Embird is a great all round product and better priced than some of the others.

My suggestion is when you look at machines ask how the designs are tranferred to the machine, some take a memory card while others use a usb stick or some need special software etc to do it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
Yarn or Fabric

CraftyDeb ... reincarnated and renamed

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009 03:46:25 AM »

I agree with Tanza - Embird is great.
You are talking about applique projects and they are easy to do. 
With Embird you will want the font engine program.

Someone here came upon a few free digitizing programs - you can always try them out and see if they will digitize true type fonts as well - that is all  you will need. Smiley well, that and a machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting quilts, afghans & blankets for those that lost their homes.  Pm me!
CraftyDeb website
CraftyDeb Designs etsy
tons of sewing & quilting tutorial links[/url
useless_tears

Zombies |=have=| had feelings too

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009 09:39:21 PM »

You know I seen this too and I have been stumbled on how to create it... but alas I just ran across a video that explains a way this can be done...   Grin    and boy is it simple.  Just as long as you stitch around your letters are decently thick.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8993298041318968591&hl=en
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not always as clueless as I look, only sometimes.
JustCheeky
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009 07:48:50 AM »

Wow!  Thanks SO much for sharing - that video is perfect.  I didn't realize the process was so easy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

useless_tears

Zombies |=have=| had feelings too

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009 06:27:22 PM »

You're very welcome.  If you search the web or embroidery site for applique, you'll get a lot more information and even designs made specifically for applique.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm not always as clueless as I look, only sometimes.
poyupop

Master Craft Disaster!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009 09:10:42 PM »

One of favorite places to get designs has a good tutorial on how to do appliques... She also has some really neat appliques that you can get as well. http://www.urbanthreads.com/pages?id=53 here is the link, and I hope it helps. When I bought my machine, I researched it like there was no tomorrow. I ended up buying a Brother... and I am quite happy with how easy it is. Although Brother requires extra software to be able to move designs from computer to machine.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009 09:12:36 PM by poyupop » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sewing Diva
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009 08:30:43 PM »

I bought a brother's 900D sewing embroidery machine. It has a a 4X4 hoop size, I bought this machine because it is user friendly and not too expensive. I did not want to spend too much on a machine incase I really did not use it alot. It cost me $800.00 Well I have used it ALOT! this machine allows me to purchase designs off the internet and down load them in to my computer and then transfer them to my machine. Now that I have become a little more knowledgeable I wish I had gotten a machine with a bigger hoop. Even a 5X7 would have been a good one to start with.  With a 5X7 hoop I could stitch out 4X4 or 5X7 size designs. Also I am finding I would like to have some software now that I know a few things and would like to have the freedom to change, resize and to optimize stitching. Some patterns that I have purchased and downloaded seem to have a lot of stitches that over lap and with some of the software I could take out the extra stitches. My sister is the one who said to buy the brother's  machine. She has had a PAFF, Bernina and a couple others. She went and tried out the 900D at her local shop and said she really liked it. It has been a good investment. I think that sometime in the future I would like a machine that lets me put a pin drive directly into my machine, and a bigger hoop. Hope this helps, and good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009 08:48:48 PM »

The applique question has been answered, but I wanted to give you some advice for purchasing an embroidery machine.

If you have never used an embroidery machine, you may want to purchase one from a sewing machine dealer who offers support and classes for their customers.  Machine embroidery is very different from regular sewing and it helps _tremendously_ if you can take some lessons.  I do not recommend buying one from Walmart or other store that cannot offer support if you are new to machine embroidery. 

If you are on a budget, ask your sewing machine dealer if she has any trade-ins or knows of a customer who wants to sell a machine.  You can get good deals that way, but you really need to know what you are buying and what you need with and for the machine.

Ask your self what you want to embroider....how large, what items, etc.  A home embroidery machine will not easily embroider things like pockets, narrow pants legs or narrow sleeves (think children's clothing).  Look at designs you like and see how big they are and what size hoop they need (a great source for reasonably priced embroidery designs is emblibrary.com).  See what hoops come with the machine and if there are accessory hoops you can purchase later (I love the concept of the endless hoop that lets you do border designs...but you do not need one to do border designs)

Compare models, and consider getting a dedicated embroidery machine if you already have a good sewing machine.  If you are willing to spend thousands of dollars for one of the top of the line sewing/embroidery machines, consider getting a multi-needle embroidery only machine for around the same price.  This is especially true if you dream of maing money embroidering for others.

Get a machine that uses a standard jump drive to get designs to the machine.  Do not get a machine that needs a special reader/writher box because that will mean that you will have to get some software of some sort.  With a jump drive you can download (either free or purchased for a few dollars) thousands of designs.  And if you want to customize a design (like add a name or saying), you can find a digitizer who will do it for you.  Bottom line is that unless you anticipate manipulating your designs or designing your own, you can save hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars by purchasing ready-to-use designs in your machine's format.

As for software, unless you have a machine that accepts a jump drive, you will need propritary software to get designs onto a card to go onto your machine (my machine is so old I have to physically connect it to the computer).If that is not the case, you can purchase Embird or what ever program that suits your purposes.  Programs nowadays come in "pieces" that you buy for what you need....customizati on (changing a design a little), cross stitch, monogramming, all the way to digitizing (taking a piece of line art and turning it into an embroidery design your machine can stitch out.)  Most programs now are capable of saving designs in a variety of machine formats, but before you purchase it, make sure.  Make sure your dealer can teach you the program if you purchase it from your local sewing store.  If you purchase something like Embird, check out what online tutorials are available.

If you are interested in trying your hand at a digitizing program, SophieSews (mentioned in another post on this board) is a fair program.  Not as powerful as the Viking or Pfaff programs, or Masterworks, but it will let you see what is involved in digitizing.

I could go on and on.  There is a learning curve to machine embroidery and the more you know the better prepared you are for the sticker shock of all of the add-ons (programs, designs, supplies, hoops, threads, etc.).

Good luck,
SewNutzz

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Put a Twist on the Classic Milkmaid Braid
Long Hair Dad Cuts Hair After 20 Years
First Haircut in 20 Years
Healthy Hair Tips
How to Get a Braided Crown
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...