A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pirate Murder Mystery Party  (Read 2124 times)
Tags for this thread: pirate  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

isadora12000
« on: February 02, 2009 08:54:03 AM »

I hosted a pirate themed mystery party last fall. I mailed out invitations to each guest that contained their identities, a “local paper” to let them in on the goings on around the island, and costume ideas. While all this information came in the game packet that I could just copy and send out, it was very plain so I typed everything up in a “pirate-y” fount, printed it on parchment like paper and tore the edges. I sent out the invites about a month early so everyone could get their costumes in order and had time to make arrangements if people cancelled. You have to get the mood going early!

During that time I got busy crafting!

I’m always making costumes so first I made sure my costume and one for my mom was finished – as the host I just put together a typical wench/tavern costume out of my costume closet. My mom was the island chief so we reconed a brown and cream dress into her costume. 

Then I made nametags for each player, I used badge holders and found some skull and cross bones lanyards, in each badge holder I placed a name tag, and all the secrets and abilities for each player. The holders worked out great because all the information a player needed was right there for them. Since there were 4 groups of people, 2 pirate gangs, British governors and their family, and the natives on the island each tag also had an icon that identified them with a group – so is was easy to see who was friend and foe. I also stamped some black leather bags and stuffed them with “gold coins” to give to each player, even though the game didn’t call for money – I felt it might be more fun to encourage deals and alliances with money.

Name badges and money pouches

Some pirate-y letters

The party was held in my grandmothers beautiful old farm house, the living room has high ceilings with exposed wooden beams and a fire place – it was perfect for the tavern feel. Since the party was to be located on an island I knew I wanted a tropical feel, but wanted it to be a tavern atmosphere too where guests could drink, mingle, make alliances and find the killer.

Flying the Pirate Flag

I set up small tables with glass lanterns and candles for people to sit at. I also made some coasters out of cork board and stamped them with pirate images

A large table with drinks and another with food was also set up in the area to encourage people to move around. I made food that could be walked around with – Jamaican Jerk chicken kabobs, cheese, fruit and veggie trays, cheese fondue (one of the characters had a fear of cheese – so I made sure to have a few cheesy dishes), red beans and rice, shrimp, bread and a watermelon that I made into a pirate ship!

No one was able to guess the killer in the end but everyone had a blast and we are thinking about making it an annual event!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Consider what ideas are lost by censorship.
nikimac

28 and life to go

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009 09:10:52 AM »

That's so great!  I love murder mystery parties, but I'm never clever enough to come up with the characters' backgrounds on my own.  "Scurvy Knaves" sounds hilarious, by the way.  Good job.  I wish I'd been invited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love planning parties - come to me if you need any ideas!
meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009 09:24:53 AM »

That is really cool. I like the way you jazzed everything up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
nevaehyeknom
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009 01:24:48 PM »

I'd like to try that! Did you just find all the murder mystery background info online or something, or make it all up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
isadora12000
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009 05:58:50 PM »

Thanks it was super fun.

I bought a kit and just jazzed it up - I'm going to write my own for next time, there is a lot that goes into the game.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~*Craftster formerly known as jennieingram*~

I really need a Sonic Seam Ripper.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009 07:26:44 AM »

You + Party = Adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mistress Jennie's Etsy | Pinterest | Harry Potter Craftalong - Summer Semester

It does not due to dwell on dreams and forget to craft.
2497teresa
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009 03:29:34 AM »

wow.... you had such good ideas!
i also want to plan such a cool party!
it was a lot of work, wasn't it?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
isadora12000
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009 05:30:44 AM »

I wouldn't say it was a lot of work, but I live for planning and creating a party that people can get into... so if you aren't into that and don't like to craft everything 10 times better then how they come in the game packet, or maybe don't like/want to cook food for the party, then yeah it might be a lot of work Wink It was fun to me and I really enjoyed watching everyone enjoy themselves in a game that could have been very boring and awkward if no one got into character and played!

All you can do is give it a go. Buy a murder mystery kit that you think your friends will get into and then go to town making it even more cool!! I'm sure your party will be a fun time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
No Makeup Makeup Look Tutorial
Brow and Lip Techniques at Fashion Week
Wear Your Heart on Your Manicure!
Skin Benefits for Using Retinol
How to Determine Your Skin Type
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...