A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
646 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painted Furniture *new stuff added  (Read 6331 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rissaroo
« on: March 18, 2005 05:15:48 PM »

Here is the latest, a furniture revamp for my boyfriend's dresser and nightstand. He picked the colors. They are a bit girly but at least it matches the other stuff there. I wish i had before pics to show how different it looks. Oh well, picture beat up brown stained wood with plastic faux leather trim...

Here are some pictures of things i have painted. Most of them are done using acrylic craft paint. The "wine rack" is metail so i used metal craft paint.

Happy pink chair - this one reminds me of a lisa frank notebook!

I love this school desk/chair - i got it from my old work, we had a bunch of these lying around and my boss hated them because of the awkward shape. This took a lot of masking tape!

The purple stool i did years ago as a TV stand - now i have a bar so it is a stool. I had to do another one since Boyfriend Donny moved in because we were fighting over it!

i have one sad lonely bottle of wine at the moment on this - it was actually a bathroom organizer, originally...

« Last Edit: September 17, 2005 07:33:03 AM by rissaroo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rissaroo
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005 06:37:25 PM »

I did these about five years ago - they have been through a couple of interstate moves and so are a bit beat up, one of these days i need to match the paint and touch them up. Still, you get the idea!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazigal72
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Jeweled Whore

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005 06:43:45 PM »

wow!! I'm so jealous of your colorful furniture!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only dead fish go with the flow.

If you're gonna play with fire, then you're gonna get burned.

Craftster has the best Mod Squad ever. <3

Remind me that we'll always have each other
When everything else is gone.
rissaroo
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005 07:05:49 PM »

Oh i forgot to post this side table.

When i moved out of my old apartment, the landlord was cleaning out the basement the same day. They were dumping all this old stuff at the curb, and i snatched the table and threw it in the moving van before anyone else could claim it! for the paint, i actually mixed two leftover colors from my kitchen!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lizbot

is it just me or is it getting awesome in here?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2005 12:46:27 PM »

wow! you're apartment is definately not lacking personality! the painted chairs remind me of my high school. i went to an alternative school and in addition to making locker panels to personalize our lockers we could also paint  old wooden chairs so they were all over the school.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meowsley

Meow....I'm one stitchin' kitten!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2005 01:30:10 PM »

Oooh! I love everything, you're so creative!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No Cookies No Peace!!
Monsters aren't Pansies!!
justanyothergurl

Amelie likes cracking creme brulee with a teaspoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2005 01:56:44 PM »

oooh! I love it all. Makes me want to get some paint and find something to paint it with...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT MTV

Question Assumptions

"the leprechauns are after my stash"
-bearded guy's shirt at the Common Ground Fair
MorningtonCrescent
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005 08:30:20 PM »

Do you have to sand or prime the furniture before you paint? I've got this big, old bureau of drawers in my bedroom that's no less than 50 years old...and it looks it. (Not in a cool antique-y way, but in a worn-out and scratched way.) Have you done anything large like this before?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rissaroo
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005 10:26:07 AM »

nothing that large, yet.

I have a dreser that i stained years ago that is up to be repainted, along with boyfriend's dresser that could be in worse shape than yours.

For the small pieces, i usually just sand them to dull any finish that is already on there, and then use two coats of craft paint in the base color. My futon frame and the 2-tiered table were done with leftover wall paint in semi-gloss finish - that is thicker and will cover a dark wood better - it also takes longer to dry and has to be thinned in order to do any small details.

For a large piece, i would say to sand it enough to dull the finish and smooth out any rough spots, and this would also be a good idea if you have a lot of scratches. Use wood putty to fill in any holes and sand smooth. Primer is probably a good idea, especially if you are painting a light color over a darker wood. You could just do extra coats of paint, but primer is generally cheaper than paint, so there you go... also you can have primer tinted at the hardware store, i believe. Primers also, in theory, "grab" to the wood better and create a surface that the paint can grab onto - thus minimizing your chances of paint scratching or peeling off.

there is also wood sealer out there that they highly recommend for completely unfinished wood - it makes the surface less porous and more even, so that it will be a more uniform surface for the paint or stain. I've used mod podge for this purpose as well for small pieces, like unfinished picture frames, and it does make the painting smoother and easier.

depending on what you paint with and what you are using it for, you'll probably want a polyurethane finish. I've used the delta ceramcoat interior varnish for several pieces. i have also used polyurethane from the paint aisle at home depot. the kind you buy at HD tends to be thicker than the craft store kind, which has its plusses and minuses. Be sure to look for the clear, non-yellowing kind, otherwise you can end up ruining a paint job. Depending on how much your piece will be used you'll want to use more polyurethane. you can also pick the shine (matte, gloss, etc) that you want for the piece. If you are using wall paint in a gloss finish you may not need a sealer - for instance i don't think i used one on the futon frame.

i hope this helps, let me know if you want me to clarify anything, although i'm not really an expert i just kind of figure out as i go along...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msbubbly
Good girls do Bad things

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005 08:51:20 AM »

Those are some very cool painted pieces.
I love them
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you; if that doesn't work, then "KICK ASS"
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Maggie Simpson - 28th Drawing
How to Draw Rainier Wolfcastle - 57th Drawing
How to Draw Bart Simpson - 3rd Drawing
How to Draw Homer Simpson - 1st Drawing
How to Draw Young Homer Simpson - 58th Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...