Ok maybe the subject of this topic is a little laughable, but let me just start with why I've called it the puke & doggie accident proof dog bed! I made my dog porter a dog bed a while back and he slept in it every night, I had a liner, recycled foam shredding and then a pretty cover. well he ate a rawhide whole one night and proceeded to puke liquid projectile all over his bed and it soaked through all the layers into the foam ruining everything.... GROSS..
I decided I need to make a puke/liquid proof dog bed! So next time (um.. he gets no more rawhides...) we can keep the bed and do a quick washing machine on the outer cover.
here were my requirements for this bed:
- Must have a waterproof liner (so I can just wipe off his puke should he ever get sick on his bed again)
- Must have a washable cover (so when porter pukes again I can wash the cover)
- recycled materials for most if not all of the bed, (I felt guilty having to toss the foam that was just trashed from him getting sick so I wanted to make up for it! )
My dog bed was made with:
- Fused plastic bags for the liner (between 4-6 bags thick)
- foam packing peanuts from shipments you've received
- leftover fabric I had in my fabric stash
I did this all in 4 steps
- fused about 40 plastic bags following instruction I found on craftster
- Sewed them into a big pillow case shape (but larger becuase my dog is 80lbs)
- stuffed it with the recycled peanuts I had from shipments sent to my house
- found scrap fabric (you could use sheets or something from a thrift store if you don't have fabric) and sewed another outer pillowcase and added a zipper so I could take off the outer case and wash it...
= $0 I just used recycled bags and peanuts and leftover fabric and stuff in my sewing kit
I haven't posted any of my projects before on craftster and thought I'd take a shot at it by posting my dog bed
would love to know what you think!!!
Here's the pics!
The plastic "fabric" ready for sewing
The plastic Pillow ready for the packing peanuts!
Packing peanuts I"ve saved from various shipments (I had 2 whole bags full!)
the finished waterproof pillow! with packing peanuts inside
finished dog bed.. doesn't look that great on camera
but Porter loves it!