A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,204
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do I get started making my own beauty prods.?  (Read 627 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jennygurl
He knows me better than I know myself

Smile til it hurts

View Profile WWW
« on: February 01, 2009 06:19:37 PM »

???HELP!
I've seen so many talented Craftsters on here making their awesome vegan lip balms, and body butters, soaps, even mineral makeup, however...how does one get started with that?
I've read some books but if I dunno jack on this topic how would I know where to get started, where to look? I'm so super lost in all this that its frustrating.

My love for skin care and all around beauty prod. makes me want to make my own at home but I just don't know how to do it. Eventually my dream is to sell them but I don't think its fair for me to ask someone on this board who is already doing that how THEY got started....alas I'm at a loss

HELP PLEASE! I feel like I'm drowning in an overwhelming sea of internet information and don't know where to look. HELP!
THANKS!

« Last Edit: March 10, 2009 09:12:05 PM by jennygurl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness; I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness" Psalm 17:15
http://beautymania.ecrater.com/-beauty on a budget
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009 06:48:13 PM »

well..I guess it starts by asking what it is you'd be the most interested in..soaps,lip balms,make up..

and read up on it..try some recipes,figure out what you like and what you dont..

this list is great put in a search and see what you can read up on..

start at one thing and see what you like and dont like about making it..maybe soaping is not what you like but you like lip butters/balms..

its super fun to try out new stuff and even better once you figured out a product that you like..

good luck..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009 07:15:55 PM »

I agree with Smittenheart: write out a list of what interests you and what does not. Then analyze things piece by piece. For instance: are you comfortable working with caustic chemicals (sodium hydroxide)? If not, then cold process soap may not be your bag quite yet; perhaps start with melt and pour soap making and progress from there.

Second: What is your motivation for making your own stuff? Do you want vegan products? Organic? Maybe you just want all natural (no artificial colors and preservatives)? Those are excellent ways to start weeding through the plethora of information on the internet. If you want vegan stuff, you know to avoid tutorials on how to render beef tallow and where to buy the best lard.

Third: Think "small" at first. Selling your wares is a great goal, but start by making stuff and enjoying it. That way you'll learn what is good, what is not good. That is crucial before you sell. Wink

Fourth: Check out suppliers for kits. Bramble Berry has awesome kits that will get you into the feel of stuff. Start simple with lip balms, melt and pour soaps, bath bombs, etc. Sure you may use a pre-made base, but it'll give you an idea where to begin.

Once you figure out where you want to start and what your motivation is (that's right, Norma Desmond), you'll find a TON of willing and helpful people on this board and a gaggle of tutorials to help you on your way.  Smiley

Oops, I forgot to say to breeeeeeeaaathe deep. It can be overwhelming to see all the information that is out there when you first start!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009 07:17:22 PM by Nymeria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009 12:02:45 AM »

Not to throw more info at you, but here are some links that have been compiled by members of this board...ie, we have found them useful, so at least it is narrowed down a little from just the entire internet!

Suppliers and getting started~ http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=202977.0

Also, when picking a few products to start out with, I would recommend picking things that use the same ingredients so you don't go crazy buying things. Some basic oils and beeswax can be used in lip balms and lotion bars, that kinda thing!

When experimenting, find a recipe, make a very small batch, and see how you like it. Tweak whatever you need to so that it is how you want it, and take copious notes so you don't forget what you did! A 3 ring binder is great to keep things together.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/13

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
emassad
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009 02:29:46 PM »

You have had some great suggestions already.  As far as soap you can make a really nice recipe w/ oils from the grocery store but lye might be more difficult to find.  I started w/ m&p soap and it as very rewarding and then I moved on from there.  You can get some decent m&p bases from places like Michaels & Hobby Lobby so you won't have to pay shipping. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elaine
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chinese Food FAQ
How to Make a Chinese Food Meal Plan
Common Chinese Food Raw Sauces and Ingredients
How to Cut Chicken Meat into Strips and Triangle Shapes
Learn Chinese Food Cutting and Preparation Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...