A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: unfinished projects  (Read 967 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Summ3r
« on: February 01, 2009 04:09:20 PM »

How long before you give up on an unfinished project?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009 08:49:16 PM by Summ3r » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheting makes my world go round...

SuMm3R
Crochet J
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009 06:27:10 AM »

I've been working on an afghan for over a year now...the guilt keeps me from stopping. It's the longest I've ever taken, but I just don't seem to have the time to do it. I don't know if I could just give up.... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stitch81
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009 07:10:19 AM »

well, if you are like me, you stubbornly hold on to it telling yourself that you WILL finish it .... one day.  I just pulled out an afghan I started 10 years ago.  I still have 6 skeins of yarn left to use on it.  I have resisted the urge to just finish it off and call it done, because I don't know what I would do with the other 6 skeins.  Unfortunately I am one of those people that have to be in the mood to crochet, I can't make myself just sit down and do it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knkurz
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009 08:10:01 AM »

My unfinished projects are never considered complete until they are actually finished.  Just because you set it aside for a long time doesn't mean that you'll never pick it up again.  I started an afghan about 7 or 8 years ago, and I didn't pick it up again until about a year and a half ago.  Of course, then I powered through it, and I ended up with a REALLY long afghan (9 feet).  You never know when the mood will strike you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009 11:01:19 AM »

The longest on a crochet project is three years. I have a latch hook tree skirt I started over eight years ago and will probably never finish....yuck. I don't really consider my projects complete until they have left for their new home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cjgeo
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009 04:05:37 PM »

I have a ripple afghan (to fit a queen-sized bed) I've been working on for about six years.  I am supremely sick of the sight of the thing, but I will finish it someday.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Zeenobia
Well behaved women never make history.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009 04:08:30 PM »

If you haven't touched it in a year, or if you don't look forward to the finished product any longer, it's time to toss it.  I tossed an afghan I started almost two years ago last month.  I had started it with Red Heart yarn before I knew any better.  Now, I realize that there's no reason to finish an afghan that will be uncomfortable to touch. 

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses! Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Certainty of death, small chance of success... What are we waiting for?"  -Gimli

Check out my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/WendyLadysWares
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009 08:07:45 AM »

The only time I give up on a project is if it just isn't working.  If I find it too frustrating, or the yarn turns out to be full of issues (allergic reactions, changes in gauge, weirdness with colour), then it's time to stop.

If it's just a question of time, then it goes on the pile with the rest of the unfinished projects.  (which is an embarrassingly large pile right now...)

Usually if it's a problem with my skills not matching the project I'll either put it aside until I learn more, or I'll frog it and use the yarn for something else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TShanafelt
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009 01:24:22 PM »

I don't really give up on unfinished projects. Usually, I realize that it's beyond me and I need more practice before tackling it. So, I frog and use the yarn for something I can make. I've actually found that things turn out better that way instead of seeing this unfinished yarn beast lurking on my crafting box.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rottenlittleboys

Inspiration without application is moot.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2009 06:19:47 AM »

When I get a burning sensation in the pit of my stomach just thinking about a project.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Highlight and Contour Your Abs
How To Make Blackhead-Removing Mask
Missing Beauty Products From the U.S.
A Frizz-Free Braid That’s Perfect for Summer
Should Guys Wax Their Body Hair?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...