A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Origami boxes made from magazine pages  (Read 5422 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Helcura
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: March 18, 2005 03:42:10 PM »

I love Tomoko Fuse's origami boxes, but origami paper's kind of expensive.  I figured out that magazine pages (not covers) are about the same weight as origami paper.  These are some boxes made from magazine pages - I was surprised at how nice they came out, and the ones with words on them are kinda cool Undecided

Okay -I'm doing something wrong, 'cause the picture's not working, but it's in the Craftster gallery at http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=7244  (sigh . . .)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2011 09:52:33 AM by Phizzychick - Reason: to fix photo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
slystr
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005 05:11:27 PM »

very very lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005 10:47:19 PM »

Those are gorgeous!  I don't know much about origami -- are the instructions for that kind of thing readily available?  I love your choice of magazine pages. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
Mary Bell
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005 03:21:23 AM »

I make boxes out of paper too but they are a different pattern than this so I would be interested in the instructions too.

These are a little more classic looking than mine and I find them very charming. I paritcularly like the newsprint effect on the one.

BTW another paper that works well is Calendar Pages and if you are like me and my husband you don't throw them away and you've got a million calendar's under the bed and this gives you something nice to do with them. (I wouldn't touch his collectable LOTR ones though!:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Helcura
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005 01:15:24 PM »

I got the directions for these boxes from Joyful Origami, by Tomoko Fuse.  She's got other books too.  I found it in the library.  The instructions are illustrated and the boxes are pretty easy to make after you figure it out the first time.  I found I had to sort of jiggle the pieces a bit in order to get them to slide into place.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2005 12:46:06 PM by Helcura » THIS ROCKS   Logged
merman dan
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005 01:22:12 PM »

Those are really cool.  I haven't done much origami since japanese class in elementray school, but Ill have to try these.  Thanks for the book referance!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PimpernelSmith
I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2005 02:52:32 PM »

Most excellent!  I got into origami when I worked at an art store (ahhh -- the employee discount!), but now that I do not, living with the full cost of the paper has been a bummer -- especially when trying something new that I know I'll screw-up at least twice.

Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
lucid501
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2005 09:43:18 PM »

I love Tomoko Fuse's origami boxes, but origami paper's kind of expensive.   

Here is a great link for FREE origami paper! All you need is a color printer and you can print out origami paper to your heart's content

http://www.thekhans.me.uk/origami/paper.php

I believe you need adobe acrobat to open the files, but they are presized to 6 inches square and oh so convenient when you are without origami paper. My fiance also does origami with the paper placemats when we go to restaurants like Bob Evans and Steak n Shake--they work great and the servers really enjoy it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepaper
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005 03:39:56 AM »

Here you go:
You need to copy and paste the UBB Code that is under your picture.

Very nice job, I would have never taught of using magazine paper.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010 04:42:55 PM by Phizzychick - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fabricfightsfire
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2005 04:26:22 PM »

those are so cute  Kiss! lucid501? That website (http://www.thekhans.me.uk/origami/paper.php) was great thanks! also to ilovepaper... whats a usb code...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw Santa Claus from Rise of The Guardians
How to Draw Zero No Ruizu of Zero No Tsukaima
How to Draw Ultimate Echo Echo from Ben 10
How to Draw a Seal Character from Crossfire
How to Draw Catdog Campers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...