A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,947
Currently Running With Scissors:
414 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Living Room fireplace makeover and tablecloth into ottoman cover+cushion-img hvy  (Read 4649 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

celticchrys
« on: February 01, 2009 09:29:56 AM »

I've recently rearranged my living room, and in the process, I wanted to improve several things.  I wanted to cover the old worn second-hand ottoman I have, and I wanted to be able to use the coffee table as an ottoman as well.  I found a large tablecloth at Big Lots for $5, and used it for materials:

I had an old padded mattress cover I never use, so I cut it into rectangles that would fit the top of my coffee table:

I sewed the layers together:

I used a piece of the table cloth to cover it.  It makes propping your feet on the table much more comfortable:

I used the same fabric to cover the ottoman, so it would match:

The Fireplace:
When I moved my furniture, the ugly fireplace was no longer hidden by my entertainment center.  It's ugly gold bricks with mismatched brick in the center, and ugly tiles.  I rent and have been forbidden to paint this monstrosity.  I was inspired by this idea of using foam core and wallpaper:
http://www.designspongeonline.com/2008/05/diy-project-kates-wallpaper-fireplace.html
I already had a lot of leftover vinyl wallpaper, but foam core, this much of it was too pricey for me.  Instead, I used tri-fold project boards made of cardboard; the type you use for a science fair project presentation.
Before:

Closeup of the ugly bricks and tile:

Putting up the cardboard:

With all cardboard up; it was white on one side, and I didn't keep it all turned the same way.
Here it is with all cardboard up:

And here it is covered in white wallpaper.

I'll add a close-up of it finished later, etc, after I've neatened the edges.  I also plan to put candles or something in the center.
I used clear packing tape to attach the cardboard to the fireplace, and to attach the pieces of cardboard to one another as well.  I also used the tape to adhere the wallpaper to the cardboard.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009 09:53:12 AM by celticchrys » THIS ROCKS   Logged
wienersandbeans
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009 10:36:31 AM »

Does the wallpaper you used have any patterning on it? If so, I'd love to see a close-up shot.

It's amazing what an uplift that fireplace blind gives your room! You're inspiring me to attack my own hideous fireplace: brown tile surrounding black-and-gold metal.

Awesome re-upholstering too. Great project, thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Blue Rose
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009 11:48:09 AM »

holy cow! that fireplace really is ugly O_o
great job on covering it up Cheesy
The ottomans look inviting too Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MorganMay

nephew and his Dragonheart that I made for him!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009 12:09:44 PM »

Oh wow!  CC;  that is a major change.
The room looks much larger and more inviting this way. 
The ottomans look great too;  it's amazing how simple things can make such a difference.
Can't wait to see it up close.

Morgan
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009 12:11:13 PM by MorganMay » THIS ROCKS   Logged

celticchrys
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009 04:06:27 PM »

Thanks for the great comments, everyone!

Does the wallpaper you used have any patterning on it? If so, I'd love to see a close-up shot.

It's amazing what an uplift that fireplace blind gives your room! You're inspiring me to attack my own hideous fireplace: brown tile surrounding black-and-gold metal.

Awesome re-upholstering too. Great project, thanks for sharing!

Here is a macro shot of the wallpaper texture/pattern.  In person, the stripes are about 1 centimeter in width, and the overall effect is like beadboard.

Here is my first attempt at filling the box in the center.  A set of Moravian star christmas lights draped over a still life.  I had thought first of candles, but decided real fire next to paper covered cardboard would be bad.  This is definitely still changing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onlybluemomma
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009 04:48:54 PM »

LOOKS AWSOME!

check out walmart or even dollar stores for thoes battery operated candles.. you can get all different sizes of pillars.. they look like real  candles but it's a little light bulb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
celticchrys
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009 05:52:56 PM »

LOOKS AWSOME!

check out walmart or even dollar stores for thoes battery operated candles.. you can get all different sizes of pillars.. they look like real  candles but it's a little light bulb!

What a great idea!  I received several of those in votive size for Christmas.  I'll have to dig them out and add them to the arrangement!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skankamaggot
It seems that different people have an idea of what I am, and what I should be. And then there's me.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009 09:28:08 PM »

WOW the fireplace looks awsome!  It was so ugly before, what was with those horrible tiles  Roll Eyes  I really like the new look though, maybe to put in the "window" you could get one of those scroll candle holders that holds 3 pillars, and use the LED candles in it - they even sell remote control candles at target!  I put one of those in my fireplace when it's not in use. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elby

I'm feeling inspired

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009 09:54:36 PM »

Great idea!  Looks great

THIS ROCKS   Logged

celticchrys
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009 06:12:38 AM »

WOW the fireplace looks awsome!  It was so ugly before, what was with those horrible tiles  Roll Eyes  I really like the new look though, maybe to put in the "window" you could get one of those scroll candle holders that holds 3 pillars, and use the LED candles in it - they even sell remote control candles at target!  I put one of those in my fireplace when it's not in use. 

Remote control candles? OK, I'm totally going to go visit Target now, to look for these!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The North Carolina Relish Expo
Sioux City Jam Preserves
Grilling Tools from Sioux City
A Visit to Jolly Time Popcorn Factory
Sioux City Relish Cooking Show Highlights
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...