A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,489
Currently Running With Scissors:
653 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yudu Screen Printing Machine  (Read 56235 times)
Tags for this thread: iron_on_letters , yudu  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sweets2005
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2009 05:28:05 PM »

Hi all, I am new!

I am happy to have found your site. I am considering getting the YuDo but I have a few questions. I am a total beginner and have never done anything like this before. The closest thing I have done to screen printing is iron on transfers! I would like to make baby onsies and child t-shirts but these are my questions:

Do they make a platen board to put child sized tshirts or onsies in the machine or do you have to use the adult sized platen always? How do you print onto smaller things?

How many times can you use the emulsion sheets? Just once?

This is a dumb question, but obviously you can only use the transparencies once, right? Can you save them for future use?

How many times can you use the mesh screen? Can you ruin it with certain colors or types of inks?

Can you use any other brand materials? Ink? Emulsion remover? Transparecy sheets?

After you have the image exposed on the screen (or whatever the final step is), how many tshirts can you print with that?

How do you print in multi-color? Most of the projects I see are just black or white and I would like to see some multicolored ones and how they were done.

These questions are just more for your opinion. What are the advantages of silk screening? For simple, crafty projects made just for fun, why not just use iron on transfers? Can't you use more colors with that?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these!! I have learned so much from you already.

P.S. Does anyone know if AC Moore coupons exclude the YuDu?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paigetoo
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2009 06:07:05 PM »

Welcome Sweets2005,
I started out just as you, using iron on transfers and have never done any type of screen printing until the YUDU. I am very addicted to this machine and have started printing on everything I can get my hands on. Where I work, our sister company is a very 'Islandy' restaurant. We've sold shirts and jackets, some hats I'd embroidered but that was it. Now that we have the YUDU I've done baby oneses, baby caps, bibs, paper gift bags, a nylon type boat bag, my daughters (size 6/7 kids) shirts, canvas.....
To answer some of your questions that I've had experience with

1) Platen Board - Is one size and adult. To print on child sized items, slide piece of card board between the fabric. For the best results, spray the card board with a little temporary spray adhesive then secure the fabric. This keeps the fabric in place and helps prevent any shifting during printing for a cleaner imprint.

2.) Emulsion sheets - one time use. Once you burn the image - it's done. For smaller things, you do not have to waste a whole sheet, you can cut it down. Or what I'm doing is fitting as many images as I can on the one sheet. I simply tape over the items that I'm not using.

3.) Transparencies - yes, one use but saving them for future use is exactly what I'm doing. I've re-burned several screens reusing the same transparencies without any problem. I only purchased one pack of the YUDU transparencies. I'm now using a generic ink jet transparency from the office supply store. Check in the overhead projector section. They are yielding the same results as the YUDU ones. The only thing is to make sure you have a very dark print on the transparency. If it isn't dark enough, it won't burn well enough to the emulsion and then won't wash out completely - ruining the emulsion.

4.) The Mesh Screen - you can use, reuse and keep on using - like the energizer bunny. I've just switched to using Speedball ink and I'm loving it. It has a little thinner consistency than YUDU ink but the results are equal. The benefits -> washes out of the screen easier, doesn't dry in the screen as fast meaning you can print more items in one sitting, is cheaper and has a broader color selection (oh the colors!). The most important thing is to properly heat set the ink. That applies to both the YUDU ink and the Speedball ink. If you don't heat set, it fades so much during the first wash and then looks like a shirt that's about 2 years old.

5.) Quantity off of a screen - I've done about 300 shirts off of one screen and still going strong. The letters on this design are about 1" and the smallest letters are 1/4". Some of my other screens I've had to re-burn, because the finner areas just started to wash out. Part of this may also be all the scrubbing I've done to clean the inks out. I believe that now that I've switched Inks this will get better. I barely have to wipe the screen at all with the sponge when washing off the speedball ink, the YUDU ink took a little more work to get off.

6.) Multi Colors - I've not tackled this yet. I have read the how-to. You have to burn each color separately and print one at time. Yesterday I was at a screen printers shop and she had a separate screen for each color. The shirt stayed in place at all times, would print one color, change the screen, print the next color, and so on.

7.) Coupons - In SW FL Michael's, AC Moore and Joann's coupons all exclude the YUDU. Michael's and Joann's excludes the machine only but not the supplies.

I love this machine. My next project is to burn some of my daughters coloring pages as images and print them on shirts. This way she and her friends can use fabric markers to color their on wearable wearable coloring book pages. I hope this helps and good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sweets2005
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2009 06:28:29 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate it! I think it would be so cute to have your daughter design something. I actually thought of using my neice's drawings for t-shirts. She is only 7 but she draws the cutest, most detailed pictures! It would be a good gift for her mom and I would even wear her mermaid design, LOL!

It's a shame you can't use the coupons but I saw that coming! Michaels has it on sale for $249 (with a $50 gift card by mail also). Is that a good price?

The reason I want one is that I am kind of thinking of doing this as a side business once my babies are born. I would like to make cute onsies and t-shirts (specifically for twins since I am a twin and I am having twins) and sell them on etsy or whereever. I am not looking to make a ton of money, just here and there for some fun money. Plus I think it would be a neat hobby (if I have time with twin babies!!).
Do you think it would be worth it to make and sell or should I leave it to the professionals?

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paigetoo
« Reply #93 on: April 02, 2009 07:29:20 PM »

Congratulations!!
$249 isn't too bad. If you're not in a rush, watch Joann's. I picked mine up on sale there for $199.  Also, watch ebay. I've seen some machines (new in box) going for $175-200. I've picked up some of my supplies from the company listing them with good results.

Also, check into your local kids/baby consignment stores. I have a great one I work with that actually gave me my own wall for my items. (Sewing outfits, purses, tutu's, etc.) I've been so busy with work stuff that I haven't had time to work on kids items for the store buy it has soooo much possibility.

I'm finding that the most expensive supply is the emulsion paper. I only buy with coupons. There is other emulsion film out there, but I haven't tried it yet. It comes in similar sheets and also in rolls where you just cut what you need off the roll.

When you use a drawing (I just tried this) make sure that it is dark dark dark. If it isn't traced extremely dark black it won't burn all the way thru the emulsion. When this happens the emulsion doesn't wash easily away and you'll find yourself scrubbing and scrubbing until the emulsion ruins. I just went thru it this week.

I also just imprinted ribbon for the clothes I make. I had been embroidering clothing sizes on ribbon and then sewing them into the clothes. On one of my screens I used the extra area for 1 2 3 4 etc and PaigeToo. Now I have very soft and nice looking tags to go into the clothes. So much easier than the embroidery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sweets2005
« Reply #94 on: April 02, 2009 08:10:47 PM »

Wow the ribbons sound nice!

I just talked to my husband, who works for the state making street signs and he said he can get me the emulsion paper for free since they screen print some of their signs. He said he could also just have his plotter/cutter machine cut the design right out of the emulsion paper but I don't quite get what that means since I barely just started to understand the YuDu process. But he could help me! So saving on the emulsion paper would be great!

Thanks for the tip about Joanne's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crystalpeace
« Reply #95 on: April 02, 2009 08:43:00 PM »

Do they make a platen board to put child sized tshirts or onsies in the machine or do you have to use the adult sized platen always? How do you print onto smaller things?
they dont have a smaller platen at this moment they might be making one for later one

How many times can you use the emulsion sheets? Just once?
emulsion sheets are light sentive so they are to be used once, but you can print the same design over and over again that was burned into the emulsion that was put on the screen

How many times can you use the mesh screen? Can you ruin it with certain colors or types of inks?
from the yudu inks i have tried the red does seem to stain the mesh but seems to fade over time
the only thing i know about on how you could ruin the screen is if you pressed down to hard  and tore a hole into the screen.  i personally havent used any other inks so i dont know if  any other inks could ruin the screen.

Can you use any other brand materials? Ink? Emulsion remover? Transparecy sheets?
couple people have used the waterbased speedball inks on the screens,  provo craft recommands their transparecy sheets as they are not as clear as other transparceys meaning they can burn the design on to the emulsion better when you are burning your design

After you have the image exposed on the screen (or whatever the final step is), how many tshirts can you print with that?
you can print quite a bit of numbers of shirts or other prints with the burned emulsion on the screen, only thing to watch out for is if the emulsion is starting to come off the screen, which i personally only had on one of the 4 screens, only from the emulsion not being put on fully before the burning.  easy way of fixing it is the emulsion block or pputting a piece of packing tape over the hole and carefully removing it when cleaning the screens

How do you print in multi-color? Most of the projects I see are just black or white and I would like to see some multicolored ones and how they were done.
i havent done these yet but you would need to have regisation marks so you can line up the screens onto the other prints,  and you would need to have 2 or more screens for your prints, and you would need to have each color dry before printing the next color
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paigetoo
« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2009 04:06:52 AM »

Wow the ribbons sound nice!

I just talked to my husband, who works for the state making street signs and he said he can get me the emulsion paper for free since they screen print some of their signs. He said he could also just have his plotter/cutter machine cut the design right out of the emulsion paper but I don't quite get what that means since I barely just started to understand the YuDu process. But he could help me! So saving on the emulsion paper would be great!

Thanks for the tip about Joanne's.

From what I've read, there are various types of emulsion. This particular type we are using for the YUDU is a light sensitive emulsion film. If you google for it, try screen printing emulsion film. I'm gonna try to explain & hope what's in my head comes out correctly.
Condensed Version of Steps
1) Wet screen & apply emulsion
2) Dry emulsion * Must be completely dry!
3) Arrange transpariencies, place screen w/emulsion on top and hit the light button to burn images into the emulsion.
4) Run water over screen w/emulsion. Emulsion should now look blue and any images that were burned into it should look greenish. This greenish areas wash out. This gives you "holes" in the emulsion that allows the ink to pass thru the screen and imprint the image.

I haven't read anything about being able to cut out the design w/a plotter first. I also know that they make a liquid emulsion that you scrap across the screen, let dry then proceed as above. I doubt that I try this, I'm working out of the spare bedroom and just ain't committed to that kind of mess.

I did pick up some other inks from a screen printer I know. All her inks were also water-based and I believe that is the key, especially since the speedball worked so well. She even gave me some of the light changing inks. They look clear until exposed to the UV (sun). This I'm saving for the kid projects!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sweets2005
« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2009 05:21:48 AM »

Thanks for both of your replies!

My husband said their emulsion paper is kept in a dark room and they always have leftover scraps of 12x12 and he can bring it home in a dark tube for me. I have no idea how the plotter thing works, but once I try it out I will let you know! He will have to walk me through it.

I really want to take the plunge with this but I feel so guilty spending $250 right now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2009 12:23:05 PM »

I would hesitate to have the image cut out of the emulsion paper - it sounds like a pain to line up.

The emulsion paper tha comes in rolls is more light senstive than the Yuduu stuff I think. We are considering purchasing some because the cost is so much less. We will probably end up getting some dark room lights for the spare room we're using for crafts.

Also - is anyone having a problem burning screens with transparencies? We got some 11x17 ones printed at Kinkos and the black is not very dark. FOUR DOLLARS a page because it's done on a color printer (the B&W copier was worse).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009 12:23:36 PM by animegirlie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
crystalpeace
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2009 06:19:36 PM »

has anyone tried some really interacet designs?  i was thinking of actually making my own screen this time for my demo on the 11th but i gotta see if i can get it prepared before the demo so i can use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ponytail 2008 Spring Trend
Jason Wu Hairstyle Trend - Fall 2009 Hairstyle
How to Style a Chic Ponytails
Short Hair Spring Trends
How to Create a Smooth Soft Hair Wave
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...