A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,491
Currently Running With Scissors:
520 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yudu Screen Printing Machine  (Read 56237 times)
Tags for this thread: iron_on_letters , yudu  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

h-chan

<3 Xia Junsu (duck butt) <3

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #140 on: May 07, 2011 10:18:48 PM »

Is anyone else having the HARDEST time getting the air bubbles out of the emulsion sheet? I've followed the DVD tutorial and tips in the book, but it seems if I don't wet it enough, I get white spots, if I wet it too much and squeegee, the emulsion starts coming off. I've already tried two sheets and I'm at my wits end T.T. Please help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eu Kyang Kyang!!!

http://www.wists.com/h-chan
h-chan

<3 Xia Junsu (duck butt) <3

« Reply #141 on: May 07, 2011 11:24:41 PM »

Something is not going correctly, so I'll quickly run you through what I did.

I wet the screen with a spray bottle, then laid the emulsion sheet dull side down on the back of the screen.

I used the squeegee to attempt to get rid of the bubbles and excess water. Both tries still left some white spots (even after rewetting) and wiped away a little emulsion or made it runny.

On both sheets, I used a hair dryer to dry them until they didn't feel wet to the touch. The edges of the plastic sheet on the emulsion were hard to grab but came off clean. The emulsion on the screen did not look even, but I decided to try burning an image anyway since I already wasted a sheet.

I put the image printed side up on the light box, placed the emulsion sheet (emulsion side down) on the image, put a 10 pound bag of sugar on top and pressed the light button (7:30 timer). The emulsion turned blue but no image burned. So I am at a loss to figure out what went wrong.

Lastly, I tired to save the screen by using a scrub sponge, very hot water and simple green to clean it. I got some emulsion off but the amount of scrubbing I did seemed to stop removing the emulsion after a point. I can tell because the water isn't spraying through easily like it is on the parts of the screen without emulsion. If I went and bought emulsion remover, do you think it can be saved even though the emulsion has dried? Or should I not bother trying anymore and just invest in a new screen? I'm trying to keep the screen wet with simple green until I can get the emulsion remover tomorrow.

I have read the entire thread and followed the instructional dvd step by step but this is frustrating. You all make it look/sound so easy! Any help would be appreciated because this machine is making me feel like and idiot. Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eu Kyang Kyang!!!

http://www.wists.com/h-chan
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2011 06:31:20 PM »

Hmmmm... I found that I had better luck when I cut the emulsion sheet to the size I needed. Handling a whole sheet gave me similar problems. I put water on my fingers and dripped it onto the underside of the spots that had the bubbles.

I'd give the emulsion remover a try- I have only used that to remove the emulsion, and it's always worked great!  I used it to clean screens after they had been used and then sat around for a while and my screens are fine. I know it's expensive, but it's cheaper than a new screen.

I haven't had any problems burning images, so I'm not sure what happened with that. It's weird that it turned blue but there was no image. Maybe it was an old sheet?

Maybe you should practice with a smaller piece of the emulsion to get a feel for it... I cut it with scissors and put the extra emulsion back in the tube.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
BrownCorduroy
« Reply #143 on: June 15, 2011 06:34:46 AM »

Thank you all for the wealth information in this thread! I received my Yudu yesterday (or Yoda as my gf calls it: "tshirts make you will" lol) and cannot wait to get started.

I used to work at a screenprinting shop and have been thinking of setting up a mini shop in my basement for a few years now, but just haven't have the funds to dedicate to it, but I found the yudu on amazon for $127 with free shipping and couldn't pass it up!

Has anyone found a good liquid emulsion they could share? I saw a post about the yudu hack kit, but I'd rather just buy the recommended brand directly...

Thanks, again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jonibologna
« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2011 05:44:08 AM »

I used Speedball Diazo Photo emulsion and it worked absolutely perfect!  I bought the "kit" and it came with the emulsion remover which took off the YUDU brand emulsion sheet that my friend messed up when she first tried to apply it.  I read nothing but horror stories on the YUDU sheets so I decided to skip all that frustration and go right to the liquid emulsion.  I took a few years of silkscreen classes in college so I had some experience with screens.  I also got myself a 10" scooper from silkscreeingsupplies.com and that made applying so much easier ($11.90+ship = totally worth it)

Hope this helps!  Sadly most YUDU discussions seem to be dead so I guess I'm a little late on the scene.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2011 01:42:13 PM »

I appreciate the information, Jonibologna! I'm getting ready to help my sister silkscreen some shirts for her business, and I've been looking into alternatives to the emulsion sheets (I do okay with a small piece of the sheet, but have troubles with a full sheet). I was thinking about the Yudu Hack Kit, so I'll have to check out your suggestion as well! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
Jonibologna
« Reply #146 on: June 25, 2011 04:53:46 AM »

The YUDU hack kit is pretty much the same thing, I just didn't want to pay $67.95 because I wasn't sure if it would work.  I decided on the Diazo kit because it was $19.46 and the scooper was $11.90 =$31.36 which I thought wasn't as scary as the almost $70 (plus I had a $50 AMZON gift certificate)  From what I have read it seems that both the hack kit and the stuff I got are pretty much the same thing.  GOOD LUCK!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nerdyartist
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2011 05:15:09 PM »

I tried the emulsion sheet ONCE and decided it was more trouble (and expense!) than it was worth. I picked up the Emulsion kit from Dick Blick and will never go back to the sheets.

You can get the scoop coater, but you can also just use your plastic squeegie/spreader that came with the yudu. That's what I've been using and have had zero issues. (Although - it does take a try or two to know how thick/thin to have the emulsion on the screen.)

And while I'm not sure this is related or not - the images I'm able to get with the liquid emulsion have been really sharp!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

my brown eyed girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2011 10:44:42 AM »

Thanks for the great info Jonibologna!  I just ordered the kit and I'm going to see if I can't find a scoop coater locally!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

« Reply #149 on: January 07, 2012 09:44:57 AM »

I used Speedball Diazo Photo emulsion and it worked absolutely perfect!  I bought the "kit" and it came with the emulsion remover which took off the YUDU brand emulsion sheet that my friend messed up when she first tried to apply it.  I read nothing but horror stories on the YUDU sheets so I decided to skip all that frustration and go right to the liquid emulsion.  I took a few years of silkscreen classes in college so I had some experience with screens.  I also got myself a 10" scooper from silkscreeingsupplies.com and that made applying so much easier ($11.90+ship = totally worth it)

Hope this helps!  Sadly most YUDU discussions seem to be dead so I guess I'm a little late on the scene.

How long did you burn the screen for with the Speedball emulsion?  I had trouble (I think I burned it too long) when I tried a week ago? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Double Dare: Ice-Queen Makeup Made Chic
Double Dare: The Cat-Eye Goes Punk
Double Dare: V-Day Pink Makeup Goes Edgy
How to Create the Perfect Cat-Eye
4 Best Shimmering Bronzers
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...