A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,578
Currently Running With Scissors:
731 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yudu Screen Printing Machine  (Read 55131 times)
Tags for this thread: iron_on_letters , yudu  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2009 09:53:03 AM »

Here are my first attempts!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=311654.msg3580761

THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
popartinferno
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2009 06:28:02 PM »

Does anyone know of a good (cheap) place to get the emulsion sheets online?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErinBassett
« Reply #122 on: July 18, 2009 11:02:03 AM »

Sorry I don't get on here often enough to answer your Yudu questions...feel free to email me if you need a question answered quickly (erinb@runbox.com)

kitschkween & craftADDchick - Great 1st shirts!!  Looks like you both are Yudu addicts now.   Grin

Those of you that are having trouble with your emulsion may want to check out my video tutorial on how to do it. 

I've printed a few images on one transparency so I need to mask the other areas while I print. What's the best way to do that?

You can either cut up your transparency & emulsion sheet & burn just what you need on to the screen or you can burn all the images that are on your transparency onto a full sheet of emulsion & tape off the designs you aren't using as you go.  I prefer to use packaging tape on the front side of the screen (so I can see through it), but others like the blue painter's tape.

Okay, I made my first shirt and it rocked! But, the next one came out a bit splotchy, and the 3rd one smeared a bit.

Do I need to clean and dry the screen between printings? I'm switching them out as fast as I can...

I'm printing on youth-sized tees, so I bought a piece of 11" X 14" plexiglass (just under $4 at Home Depot) and applied a coat of spray adhesive. Seems to be working okay, but now I'm wondering if I need to buy more so I can do multiple shirts in a row more quickly... What do you think?

Your splotchy problems may be from the weather, when it's hot & dry your ink will dry on your screen quickly especially if your design has fine details.  I live in Southern CA, so it's pretty hot here & the AC sucks any moisture we do have out of the air....I can usually get about 8-10 shirts printed before washing out my screen...but if you'd rather be safe than sorry you could rinse it out after ever few shirts. 

Also, don't be afraid to use a lot of ink on your screen...you can always reclaim what you don't use.

And, here's another question:

Do you think it would work to cut the emulsion sheet? That way, if I only had a small design, I wouldn't waste a whole sheet... If I taped it carefully around the edges, it should work... maybe?

Yes cut it up!  I tape off around it so the ink only goes where I want it to.

Please LMK if you have any other questions I can answer.   Grin

~Erin
My Blog
My Yudu Projects & Tutorials
Follow me on Twitter

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ErinBassett
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2009 11:05:47 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention that Provo Craft will have the 220 mesh screens and kid size platens available soon...can't wait to try them out.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2009 12:05:58 PM »

Thanks for the tips, Erin! I managed to work most of them out on my own, and printed 9 shirts (all I needed) in a row without any issues. Flooding the screen between prints is something I'd have to say is the most important thing I learned. My plexiglass "platens" seemed to work pretty well, too- they really helped me speed up the process.

I may have figured out the next thing I'm printing (I have 19 or 20 shirts sitting here waiting), but I just need to have the time to start it (I have a few more pressing projects on the list).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tbach
« Reply #125 on: July 26, 2009 08:13:36 PM »

My wife surprised me with a Yudu for Father's Day - had to be sure I hoarded enough supplies and changed utility sink faucet to one with spray. Everything was in place, so this afternoon I printed my first t-shirt design.

This site and the Yudu forum site have been very helpful to me. I decided to use Speedball Inks from the getgo - easier to work with in a jar, better color availability and less expensive - also used the drying retarder. I was able to print multiple shirts before I felt the screen needed to be cleaned. Had a devil of a time with emulsion sheet - actually harder for me than the old emulsion tray scoop that I used when I took a junior college class 10-15 years ago. I think I got the screen too wet - took FOREVER for it to dry. At one point, I thought it was dry enough (after all, I had run it thru 3 drying cycles in the Yudu . . .) When I tried to peel off the mylar cover, a lot of emulsion came along for the ride. Oops! Decided to respray and try to reattach mylar sheet and squeegie again. For the most part, that worked . . . but I let the sucker dry over night! There were some iffy areas along the edge where my repositioning was not perfect, but it was where I could tape anyway. If I can figure it out, I will attach a photo. Yeah, I know the letters look like they are partially printed, but I had to search to find a font with that look, so it has nothing to do with the screen printing.

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/186382_TitanicTankTop.jpg

I used Speedball Ink with Drying Retarder, and it worked very well. When I did decide to wash the screen, the ink came out easily. The only problem was that my blue tape also loosened . . . probably should have taken it off, too, before washing. Used little pieces of blue tape for pinholes and imperfections that I could see using the handy light-table built into the Yudu.

Since I have a heat transfer machine, I used it to heat set the ink after printing had dried. Left a post on silkscreening site tonight asking for proper temperature and time for heat set with a transfer machine.

It was fun, and makes me want to print more designs - have a couple waiting already for my grandkids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #126 on: July 26, 2009 08:31:00 PM »

Great shirt, tbach! I haven't used my Yudu since I did my marathon shirt printing session at the end of June. I have a couple of ideas to try, but haven't had a chance.

I'm glad to hear that Speedball inks work okay, and I appreciate the additional info about the drying retarder. I didn't know such a thing existed. I have a bunch of Yudu ink I bought with a coupon, but it's nice to know I can expand my color palette easily.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crankydinosaur
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2009 03:36:32 AM »

1) there is no way to thinken the ink, thin it down-yes, but not thicken it.

there is: when i was in school we had a big tub of something used to thicken our inks. granted we weren't using speedball but i used to buy speedball all the time instead of using the schools inks and i think i remember a professor or seeing someone mix it with speedball.

i am wary of this yudu thing. maybe it's because i learned to screen print using a traditional exposure unit, screens ect. i don't like the how you expose screens with those sheets and the ink costs to much (you can get a big thing of speedball for about the same price) and screens aren't that expensive (hint: cover your wood screen in duct tape - it keeps it from getting warped when you wash it out)

i dunno i think if your gonna get a home printing kit get a gocco!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009 03:40:32 AM by crankydinosaur » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2009 07:29:44 AM »

I still love my Yudu! I am impressed with the level of detail I can get with it. I just made a pillow for a swap, and printed the image on 2 t-shirts as well.

photo taken by freestyle

I looked into getting a gocco, but couldn't find locally available supplies. I'm thinking I may try printing some holiday cards using my Yudu to see how well that works.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009 07:30:59 AM by craftADDchick » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blackie.sage
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2009 08:07:15 AM »

i am wary of this yudu thing. maybe it's because i learned to screen print using a traditional exposure unit, screens ect. i don't like the how you expose screens with those sheets and the ink costs to much (you can get a big thing of speedball for about the same price) and screens aren't that expensive (hint: cover your wood screen in duct tape - it keeps it from getting warped when you wash it out)

i dunno i think if your gonna get a home printing kit get a gocco!

I learned screen printing the traditional (and messy) way at school, and I personally think the Yudu thing is a waste of money. I saw it on TV at work one day and was kind of appalled at it. It made it seem like screen printing was some magical thing no one had ever heard of before... made me kind of angry, actually... but anyway.

Speedball makes a kit, complete with two screens, three inks (I think... maybe more), drawing fluid, fluid remover, emulsion mix, a squeegee, instructional booklet and DVD, and a printing board (has hinges that connect to your screen to keep it in the same place. Great for layered prints.), for about 100 bucks. The only thing missing is the exposure unit, which is super easy to make with a high watt light bulb and a pie tin.

Making your own screen frames, putting in fabric, and making your own exposure unit and printing board would cut the costs down even more.

But I guess the Yudu is just great for everyone who wants everything right there, right when they wanted it, or who aren't inclined to making their own screens/exposure unit/whatever.

I am kind of curious about these exposure sheets tho. It sounds a lot easier than spreading that green smelly goop all over the place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."

Current obsessions: Decoden and fairy kei!
Tumblr!
Melonberry Mint @ Storenvy
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Your Hair with a Flat Iron: Messy Look
How to Get Big Hair
How to Deal with Hair Breakage
How to Curl Your Hair with a Flat Iron: Glam Look
How to Deal with Curly Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...