A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,747
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yudu Screen Printing Machine  (Read 57625 times)
Tags for this thread: iron_on_letters , yudu  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mcook72677
I fink you freeky

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2009 06:53:57 PM »

I have had my machine for about two months now and still haven't used it.  I'm taking the plunge sometime this week and doing it.  I have been sketching designs so everything I print will be mine.  The bad thing is that I am not an artist so this has been really hard. 
Does anyone know of any open source artwork?  I just don't want to steal other people's work even if I will not be selling any of the items that I make with the machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade and vintage goodness!
www.gibsgoods.etsy.com
crystalpeace
« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2009 09:57:09 AM »

i just found a forum just for the yudu  www.yuduforums.com  alot of usefull info and alot of projects that were posted
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paigetoo
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2009 10:41:38 AM »

Thanks, I'll scope it out tonight.

The more I use Speedball ink the more I'm in love with it! It washes out of the screens so much easier than the YUDU ink and covers just as well.

I've also started keeping some small paint brushes next to my ink. After I imprint a design and notice that it has a faint area in places I just touch it up right then with the paint brush. This actually saves shirts! some items (the bulky ones like jackets), if you try to lower the screen and reprint, the screen shifts and blurs the image. With the paint brushes I'm able to touch up and after ironing you can't tell any difference.

I've also started to mix my colors. I needed a soft pink so I used a small jar and mixed white ink with a smidgen of red and it came out wonderful. The screen printer that I've been bombarding w/questions said she only purchases the primary colors and mixes any additional colors that she needs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crystalpeace
« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2009 08:26:39 PM »

yeah i just kept the craft stick i scraped off the squeegee and i used that to put ink on the areas of the screen that didnt get covered by the ink in the orginal pass, since you learn after a couple prints by the look of the screen since it looks lighter in color since the ink went from the screen onto the tshirt. and i mixed colors so much none of the shirts i printed were the same color just from the different amount of color that was put on the screen and what was pulled off the squeegee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetyetevil
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 26, 2009 08:25:34 PM »

WOW! I am so glad I found this site...I have been eyeballing this machine since it came out and wondered if it was user friendly or if I needed another degree to use it. I appreciate all of the information provided by those of you who have used and experimented with the machine. Several of you sound very professional and your ideas and trials make me want to definately take the plunge and get one of these machines.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Motleymind
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2009 10:05:53 PM »

The screen printer that I've been bombarding w/questions said she only purchases the primary colors and mixes any additional colors that she needs.

I thought you might be talking to a screen printer. A lot of the tricks you've used are s.o.p. for screen printers. If you want to save on screen making costs big time, try getting liquid emulsion and using a scoop coater to apply it to your screens. Also, I have to say I really admire your ingenuity on getting the Yudu to do mass production. It seems you pretty much had to redesign it yourself to do so. Also, consider plastisol inks. It'll make your life easier, and your screens will last longer.

Do you want to test a build it yourself screen print press that'll speed your print runs up by 4x - 8x? It's unreleased, as we are finishing up the product as I write this. I'll send more info if you're interested.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
paigetoo
« Reply #106 on: June 01, 2009 04:02:38 PM »

I've looked at the liquid emulsion but I'm just fearful of the mess to take the leap. I'm just working off a table in my spare bedroom. But funny that you mention production runs, I just counted and we've done over 600 shirts + all the other misc. items since buying the machine. And I just last week had to reburn the screen where it was starting to wash away in some of the finer areas.

Has anyone tried any other type of emulsion paper? I've looked and searched but the best I have found is like a $100 for a roll. When you do the breakdown it certainly is a better price, however I hate to spend the money on the roll and then find out that it doesn't work on these screens.

Another thought for printing on 'different' things: try those lightweight foam visors like the Mircale Visor. Once you pop the lace out of the back they lay flat. I used the same pocket logo to print on them and they came out fantastic. Just be carefull when ironing or they'll melt!

Motleymind: sure, I'd love to look at the info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Motleymind
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2009 03:19:39 PM »

I've looked at the liquid emulsion but I'm just fearful of the mess to take the leap.

Motleymind: sure, I'd love to look at the info.

On the emulsion, you need a scoop coater that costs about 1.50 - 2.00 per inch in length and some dual cure emulsion that's about $50 a gallon. You'd have to get a drop cloth and it will stain if you spill it. But your wasted money on sheets of emulsion will disappear.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010 12:44:50 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftADDchick
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2009 07:30:43 PM »

So... I've been eyeballing the YUDU since I saw the first post here. Today, I decided to take the plunge and get one (I found one through Amazon for $217, and I think the shipping is free). I have a bunch of shirts to make, but no more than a dozen of each design, and I appreciate all of the tips that I've picked up from this thread, especially the one about putting multiple designs on one emulsion sheet. I'll have to see how many I can squeeze on there.

I'm excited for it to get here, and a bit anxious about using it, so I'll be re-reading this thread a couple of times before I get started Wink

Thanks to everyone who shared such great tips!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The choices you make today determine the choices you will have tomorrow.

51/50: 50+ Crochet Wash Cloth Along- Finally!!! Now for the + part Smiley
crystalpeace
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2009 07:35:45 PM »

So... I've been eyeballing the YUDU since I saw the first post here. Today, I decided to take the plunge and get one (I found one through Amazon for $217, and I think the shipping is free). I have a bunch of shirts to make, but no more than a dozen of each design, and I appreciate all of the tips that I've picked up from this thread, especially the one about putting multiple designs on one emulsion sheet. I'll have to see how many I can squeeze on there.

I'm excited for it to get here, and a bit anxious about using it, so I'll be re-reading this thread a couple of times before I get started Wink

Thanks to everyone who shared such great tips!

i would also recommend again to goto www.yuduforums.com  for more useful tips and projects
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Choose Color Settings
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set Preferences
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - Workspaces, Location Tracking and Slide Shows
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - File Naming Inside the Bridge
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Manage Your Images
Latest Blog Articles
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...