A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 304,768
Currently Running With Scissors:
485 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: PART 1 of PATTERN ADDED on P 2 The "Should have read fine print" costume  (Read 13134 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

phantasmafreud
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009 10:41:28 PM »

I'm trying to write down a pattern for the helmet and pteryges and will post it when I'm done, if there's any interest.  Smiley 

Interested, INTERESTED!!! lol  Cheesy
Seriously though, this is completely awesome, I would make one for every baby in sight lol.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009 10:42:29 PM by phantasmafreud » THIS ROCKS   Logged
ZellaBella
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009 04:53:22 AM »

sooo cute! great job with the costume
THIS ROCKS   Logged

antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009 06:03:35 AM »

This is so fantastic! I'm sorry it didn't work out for the contest, but I know it will still be a huge hit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
Aliped

Only dead fish go with the flow ....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2009 09:27:08 AM »

Yea that is pretty awesome! Great job!

Ditto!! Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009 09:44:17 AM »

Aw, so cute! It's fantastic, esp the helmet!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2009 10:52:16 AM »

This is seriously cute. It's too bad about the contest, but now the pattern belongs to you instead of Lion Brand. You could make bank around Halloween here in Southern California as warm as it is here. This looks really well made. I bet you'd get a lot of takers for the pattern alone. But imagine what a non crafter would pay for their little centurian!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
froggmomma
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009 01:12:10 PM »

so how do i get that pattern in an adult size?? lol love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged

He asked, and I said yes.
I'm looking for Home Interiors resin butterflies, and License plates from other states. PM me for swap info. I love to swap.
magadoo

I'm a robot in disguise

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009 05:32:22 PM »

I love this!  I would love for you to be generous enough to post a pattern... please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwydion
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009 12:13:53 AM »

Wow... I didn't think there would be that much interest.  Cheesy  Glad you guys like it. Thanks for all the lovely comments!

I guess the contest exclusion of NJ residents was due to the fact that Lion has a location here in NJ.  But it was a fun project anyway.  Smiley

I'm posting parts of the pattern as I get them done (in between wrangling a grumpy teething baby)...stay tuned...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gwydion
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009 12:16:42 AM »

I hope this makes some sort of sense!  Still working on helmet pattern, but it will be up soon.

Pteryges.  Worked on H hook.  Worsted weight yarn (4-ply).  Main Color: 1 skein (Med. Brown) Contrast color of your choice (1 skein)

Take ¼ inch elastic and pull snugly, but not too snugly, around your kid’s waist.  Add ½ inch.  Cut TWICE this length, sew ends together to form a loop.  Set aside.  (You CAN make them exactly to waist size and just use a button closure, but I wanted a little more wiggle room, so I made them a bit larger than needed and added elastic to gather them a bit at the waist.  Also for extra “cling” on a wiggly kid.)

With Main Color, Chain to fit around subject’s waist, plus about 3 inches.  (Should be a multiple of 4 stitches).  I used 80 ch. Ch 1, turn.
HDC in each stitch across.

Ch 1, turn.  SC in first 2 stitches.  Ch 2 (buttonhole) skipping 2 sc, SC in next 8 stitches.  Chain 28. Slip stitch into last SC.  (SC 4, Ch 28, slip stitch into last SC) until 4 stitches from end.  SC in last 4.  Ch 1, turn.  You’ll have a weird-looking belt thing with lots of loops hanging off, but don’t despair—it will look better.

SC in next 3.  [Yarn over hook and insert in next SC.  Keeping yarn on hook, HDC OVER BOTH STRANDS OF CHAIN-28 loop and pull yarn through all loops on hook. Work 14 more HDC over both strands of loop.  You will have a tiny little loop left at the end.  (Don’t worry if the HDC look oddly spaced; they will even out when you work back up the loop). Work 9 DC INTO the remaining loop.  Now, working back up toward the belt, continue to HDC over the CH-28 loop, inserting your hook above the post of each HDC on the other side.  Continue until you have 14 HDC on this side of loop.  Yarn over, insert hook above the post of the SC-HDC cluster on other side, pull yarn through.  Keep all loops on hook, pull yarn through next SC, YO, and pull through all loops on hook (HDC-SC together).]  SC in next 2, then repeat all the stuff in [].  Continue to the end of the loops—you’ll now have a number of leaf-shaped flaps.  SC in each stitch to end of belt.  Fasten off.

With Contrast Color, join in last SC worked.  Ch 1, turn.  SC in same SC, SC in next SC.  2SC together (in next SC and in first HDC of loop).  SC in next 14 HDC down.  2 SC in first DC.  SC in next 3 DC.  4 SC in next DC. SC in next 3 DC. 2 SC in next DC.  SC in first 14 HDC up.  4 SC together (last HDC up, next 2 SC, first HDC down). 

[Keeping loop on hook, insert hook in the previous SC of the flap just worked.  Insert hook in next HDC of next flap, SC through, pulling through all loops (this will join first flap and second flap).  Repeat for next 6 HDC below.  SC in remaining 7 HDC down.  2 SC in first DC.  SC in next 3 DC.  4 SC in next DC. SC in next 3 DC. 2 SC in next DC.  SC in first 14 HDC up.  4 SC together (last HDC up, next 2 SC, first HDC down).]  Repeat [] until all flaps are edged with contrast color.  SC to end of belt.  Do not break yarn or turn.

Work 3 SC in corner of belt, SC up belt edge, 3 sc in corner, and work 4 SC across the top of belt.  Now, holding the loop of elastic on the back of the belt, work the next 2 SC, passing THROUGH the loop of elastic on the back of the belt to secure the end of elastic loop.  SC to 10 stitches from end of belt, working each SC OVER the doubled loop of elastic.  Work next 2 SC THROUGH the other end of elastic, SC to end and around corners, working 3 SC in each corner.  Join to beginning of contrast color.

Slipstitch once around the entire thing.  Sew a ½ inch shank button to waistband.  Weave in ends.

Chain Mail.  1 Skein worsted weight (4-ply) in dark grey.  L Hook. 2 ½-inch shank buttons.

This is really nothing more than a top-down raglan in HDC.  The “chain mail” look is just a function of the larger stitch.

I started with Ch 32.  Ch 1, turn, HDC across (32 HDC).  Ch 1, turn.  (Turning chain does not count as a stitch).

Row 1: HDC in first 3.  HDC, Ch1, HDC (V-stitch) in next HDC.  7 HDC.  V-stitch in next HDC.  8 HDC.  V-stitch in next HDC. 7 HDC.  V-stitch in next HDC. 3 HDC, Ch 1, turn.

Rows 2-4. HDC in each HDC around, including HDC’s of each V-stitch, working V-stitch in each Ch-1 space.  Join.  Ch-1, Turn.

Row 5. HDC in each HDC around, including HDC’s of each V-stitch, working V-stitch in each Ch-1 space. At end of row, join to form circle.  Break yarn.  The resulting slit is at the center back neckline of the “chain mail”.

Row 6.  Join yarn at one corner of back.  HDC in each HDC around, including HDC’s of each V-stitch, working V-stitch in each Ch-1 space.  Ch 1, turn.

**Continue working as above until the yoke, folded in half, is long enough to reach ½ to ¾ inch beneath your kid’s underarm (you can check width on a shirt if your kid is too wiggly).  You want the "mail" to be snug-fitting, with just enough stretch to get it on the kid... otherwise it WILL ride up... or be chewed to death...**

Fold yoke together and HDC around, joining under arms by working 1 HDC in each Ch-1 space under the arms, work HDC around, join.  Ch-1, turn.
Continue to work around in HDC until you have a length you like.

Finish bottom edge and shoulder edges as desired (I reverse-single-crocheted around them).

Ch 20.  Join in top of back slit.  Slipstitch evenly down one side of slit, then back up to the neckline.  Ch 20.  Turn, slipstitch back down chain, back around the slit, and up the remaining Ch 20.  This finishes the back neckline and gives you ties to fasten the neck.  Weave in ends.

On Front of “Chain Mail”: Sew ½-inch shank button on either side of front neckline, about ½ inch from sides of neckline and about 1 inch down from top of shoulder.

Half-Circle Cape:  Worked on J hook.  1 skein dark red worsted (4-ply). 

Chain 6, join to form loop.  Chain 24.  Slip stitch in 5th stitch from hook.  Ch 1, turn.

Row 1. Work 8 SC evenly around loop just made.  Work 18 SC down length of chain.  Work 8 SC evenly around other loop.  Turn.

Row 2. Ch 2 (here and afterwards, does not count as a DC).  DC in each of 18 SC down chain. Turn.

Row 3. Ch 2.  2 DC in first DC. DC in next 2 DC. (2 DC in next DC, DC in next 2 DC) to last DC in row (24 stitches).  Turn.

Row 4. Ch 2.  2 DC in first DC.  DC in next 3 DC.  (2 DC in next DC, DC in next 3 DC) to last DC in row. (30 stitches). Turn.

Row 5. Ch 2. 2 DC in first DC.  DC in next 4 DC. (2 DC in next DC, DC in next 4 DC) to last DC in row (36 stitches).  Turn.

Row 6. Ch 2. 2 DC in first DC.  DC in next 5 DC. (2 DC in next DC, DC in next 5 DC) to last DC in row (42 stitches).  Turn.

Row 7. Ch 2. 2 DC in first DC.  DC in next 6 DC. (2 DC in next DC, DC in next 6 DC) to last DC in row (48 stitches).  Turn.

Row 8. Ch 2. 2 DC in first DC.  DC in next 7 DC. (2 DC in next DC, DC in next 7 DC) to last DC in row (54 stitches).  Turn.

Rows 9-???  Continue, increasing 6 times in each row, until cape is desired length. 

Ch 1, turn.  Slipstitch once around entire piece to finish edge.  Work in ends.  Button loops over buttons on “chain mail” shirt.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009 01:59:02 AM by Gwydion » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try Hair Gloss For Shiny Locks
How to Create a Twisted Bun Hairstyle
Erykah Badu Leads Celebration of Natural Hair
How to Wear a 90s Scrunchie
How to Style a Braided Back to School Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...