A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Where to start  (Read 465 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dukemanistan
« on: February 01, 2009 12:45:58 AM »

HI, I joined this site because I saw a friend of mine coming here all the time and a lot of the stuff that you all do looks pretty sweet so I thought I would join up, maybe do some craft type stuff myself, even though I am admittedly short on craft/art skills.

Any suggestions what sorts of swaps/craft events might be a good place to start?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When it comes to textile crafts, I am only sew sew.
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009 06:48:57 PM »

What do you like to do?  Or like period?  What do you WANT to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
dukemanistan
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009 12:52:33 AM »

What do you like to do?  Or like period?  What do you WANT to do?

That is in a sense my problem I've never done much in the way of craft stuff.  I know I can't really draw well or sew/knit.  I was looking for some suggestions of simple, sort of entry level craft stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When it comes to textile crafts, I am only sew sew.
betty@freekidscrafts.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009 02:53:43 PM »

There is always decoupage. Find an item that you would like to redo, even something as simple as a box to get your feet wet and expand from there. The more you see what's on craftster, the more you will be inspired to branch out. Be brave...you don't have to start out at the top of the craft chain.

If you are a meticulous person, there is alway quilling or origami, but they take patience and perseverence but produce beautiful projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009 03:14:27 PM »

Personally, I would just look for something that I personally think is really pretty/neat/cool/funky and either find a tutorial, or a kit, and try my hand at it.  Local craft shows are great inspiration for me, as is this site.  That's how I started with a lot of stuff.  I wanted to learn to crochet - bought a small how-to booklet, and some starter supplies, and went at it.  I saw a necklace kit at a craft show that I thought was beautiful so I bought it and went at it, and have been beading since.

Is there anything in particular that you find wonderful, and really thought to yourself, "I wish I could do that"?  Just go for it!  Start with something small, and work up from there. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009 11:46:46 AM »

Start with jewellerymaking and simple beading. Anyone can make simple earrings, bracelets and necklaces that look good, the supplies are cheap, and at the end you can wear what you made and proudly tell everyone who asks "I made this"! There are loads of suppliers who do 'beginners kits', and plenty of people here - myself included - can give you advice on what to buy and where to buy it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
superhooker

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009 08:08:28 AM »

Knitting is a really good, pretty easy way to get into crafting too. The supplies to start (a pair of needles, a bit of yarn) are pretty inexpensive. 

I would say to go to the different categories in craftster...look through some of the projects, check out a couple of the tutorials, and then, like other people have said, just find something that looks really cool!  It will make it much easier to catch on to the new craft if you are really wanting to do it.

There is sooooo much different stuff on craftster, you are bound to be inspired by something.  You could do collage, or crochet, or cake decorating, or card making, or crimp your hair....all of them have a section here, so you can post pictures of the awesome stuff you do.
And PLEASE, don't worry about being new at something.  Everyone here has been a newbie too, and we are really nice, promise!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Matt Ruby on How to Make Personal Connections in a Crowded Room
Thinking Maps Differently
How Standup Comedian Creates and Refines Material
Matt Ruby on Why Standup Comedians Need a Short and Long Game
Mike Tyson On The Sheen Roast Red Carpet
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...