A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,806
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: yarn questions from a beginning knitter  (Read 819 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2004 06:15:00 PM »

hey all you crafty ladies (and gents!),

i hoping you can help enlighten me about choosing yarns for knitting projects. i recently started learning to knit. then i heard so much about stitch n' bitch, i had to buy that. now i'm really excited to start making some of the patterns in that book! it seems like all of the patterns suggest using Brown Sheep brand Lamb's Pride yarn. I promptly went to my local craft store, Michael's (i live in NE florida, i don't have a lot of choices like you new yorkers do!) and found almost exclusively acrylic yarns. boo! so here are two questions:

1) if i buy my yarn online, does anyone know if www.kaleidoscopeyar ns.com is a good place to use? they seem to have the cheapest prices on Brown Sheep yarns, but i want to make sure i'm not overlooking anything.

2) living in NE florida as i do, if i were to decide to make some of the projects in cotton or acrylic instead of wool blends, are there any guidelines you can offer for choosing an "equivalent" yarn to the one suggested? i'm guessing that if i choose something that is about the same thickness/same guage, that pattern should work up about the same. (except i won't be able to block or felt it.) am i right?

sorry for the rambling post! (i feel like i've done nothing but blather on since i just this board, but i can't help myself; you all have such great ideas!) thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
kayray
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004 06:44:57 PM »

Hiya,

Can't help you with the online-yarn-source question, as I've never bought yarns online, being blessed with _good_ local yarn shops (i.e. not just Michael's)  :)

As for swapping yarns, you can't, unfortunately, substitute a same-gauge cotton yarn for a woolen and expect the garment to turn out right.  Well, for something relatively simple, like a scarf or hat, it would be ok, and not much of a heartache if you had a rip it back and try again.  But I wouldn't recommend trying it with a sweater, especially as a beginner.

Cotton and wool have VERY different stretch, resiliance, etc.  Knit up a sample in each material and see how differently they act!

There was a nice tank-top style sweater on www.knitty.com a while back, the one with short-row shaping, and I think it was probably cotton!  Nice for a warm climate :)

Now, that Lion Brand worsted-weight wool/acrylic blend that they sell at Michael's, on the other hand, could be substituted for any worsted-weight 100% wool yarn as long as the gauge is right and you're not planning to felt the finished project.

Hope that helps! Have fun with your knitting!

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
evandra

no no no anything but crafting

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004 07:32:00 PM »

Kaleidoscope is great.  Also KnitPicks and The Yarn Co. (New York). Also Elann!

You can block cotton, but not acrylic.  You can't felt acrylic either (unless it's predominantly wool, with just a touch of acrylic).

If you find a pattern you like in wool, but want to make it in cotton, you're better off looking for a similar pattern that's designed for the kind of yarn you want.  There are plenty of long-sleeved, cabled sweaters designed for cotton if you want one like that; conversely, there are plenty of tank-tops for wool.

You can also go for Mission Falls 1824 patterns (check out Camilla Valley Farm's online store), which are designed to be interchangeable with either their wool or cotton yarn (both yarns are delightful to work with).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Acrylic Sponge Painting Technique
Glazing Acrylic Painting Techniques
How to Paint Shadows and Highlights With Acrylic
How to Paint Tulips With Acrylic
How to Paint Abstract Flowers With Acrylic
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...