A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What to do with a GINORMOUS Stained Glass Window?  (Read 720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

robosnail

80's Hairstyle Rock and Roll

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2009 11:20:56 AM »

I found a really big stained glass window at the side of the road this week (crafting jackpot!), and I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what to do with it.  My first thought was to make a table out of it, but it's really heavy - I'm just guessing, but probably around 40kg (about 90lb) - and the wood is pretty old, and doesn't feel too stable.

Here's the whole thing.  It's about 75.5cm x 106.0cm (29.75" x 42.0"). The clear center glass is 74.0cm x 41cm (29.25" x 16.5"). The small Squares are 9.0cm x 9.0cm (3.5" x 3.5"). The long rectangles are 30.5cm x 9.0cm (1'0" x 3.5"). And the short rectangles are 14.0cm x 9.0cm (5.5" x 3.5").  The colours look much prettier in the light.

And here's a picture of the detail on the center panel.  It's still a bit hard to see, but there's a floral pattern on it.

I'm going to strip the paint for sure, but that's as far as I can decide on. 

Any thoughts?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009 11:41:41 AM »

Maybe once you strip the paint, you could just regrout the panes into place again, or use glazing points to hold them.  Put some heavy screw bolts into the sides and hang it with some picture wire.  Put it in front of a window.  Looks awesome.

Or you could separate the panes and frame each one for a different window in you home.  Then take the large piece and make an occasional table.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009 11:43:39 AM by pinokeeo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://PiNOKEEOs.artfire.com

50 projects for 2014--20/50
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=430313.msg5136721#msg5136721
Recovering from surgery and crafting again!!!
cindy065
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009 01:40:03 PM »

you are so lucky !!!!! i would hang it on my wall. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grammar_gremlin
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009 04:04:15 PM »

Maybe once you strip the paint, you could just regrout the panes into place again, or use glazing points to hold them.  Put some heavy screw bolts into the sides and hang it with some picture wire.  Put it in front of a window.  Looks awesome.

I second that.  What a lucky find!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nutfish1
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009 05:27:55 PM »

I second that.  What a lucky find!

I third that.  I would love to find something like that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
robosnail

80's Hairstyle Rock and Roll

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009 08:05:34 PM »

Or you could separate the panes and frame each one for a different window in you home.  Then take the large piece and make an occasional table.

That's a good idea.  I hadn't even thought of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
x46
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009 09:01:17 AM »

Hang it in front of a window instead of a curtain using a couple of really strong hooks.  Or, hang from the wall with a light behind, or from the ceiling with a light above.  Wow, do you have luck or what?  If you decide you don't want it, I bet there's a place that restores windows that would love to have that glass. It took the man who repaired mine over a year to find the right bit of glass to match what was already in the window.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Non-Messy Easter Kids Crafts
Creative Alternatives to Pumpkin Carving
Mom Hacks: Chalk Eggs
Creative Easter Centerpieces
How to Make Marbled Easter Eggs
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...