A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
550 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sydneysiders, Spotlight  (Read 3064 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chloecat
« on: January 31, 2009 09:07:04 AM »

Just wondering how many of you have been to different Spotlight stores apart from the one close to where you live.
So far I have been to Belrose,Rockdale, and Castle Hill, the latter two were not long ago as my fiancee had to buy some computer stuff, and Belrose isn't that far from me.
Before Spotlight moved from  Dee Why to Belrose  the fabric selection was alot of variety now it really sucks the rolls of fabric has been downsized.

I am wondering if anyone has been to the Bondi Junction or Merrylands store and if they are big stores,and if it has a good variety of fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/nesst

Looking to do swap im after Alova Suede,will do personal swap with Usa in exchange for fabric.
sairosaurus
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009 04:06:15 PM »

Hey,

I haven't been to Bondi, or Merrylands, but I have been to Liverpool, Castle Hill, Penrith & Rockdale. All of which are good stores, Castle Hill would definately been the smallest and oldest of the lot, with less of a fabric selection. Rockdale and Penrith are pretty similar in size and age.
I'm hoping that Castle Hill gets updated (but not moved!!), I regularly visit it to pick up bits and pieces as it's on my way to class.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009 04:19:27 PM by sairosaurus » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Paulie_86
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009 07:37:00 PM »

Hi! I read somewhere on another forum that the Merrylands Spotlight has closed down, but was replaced with the new store at Auburn. I've been to the Auburn one as it is close to uni and I quite like it. It's the largest Spotlight I've been to, but they never seem to be that busy!  They have a large selection of fabrics from what I have seen (I haven't had to buy fabric from there), as well as a large selection of everything else!  So if you're ever out that way, I definitely recommend you check it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Florentine  -  A sewing, knitting, crafting and cooking blog.
Chloecat
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009 11:09:27 AM »

Thanks, I will have to check it out before I travel tom any of them then, and the Auburn store is listed as Lidcombe which I didn't know.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009 11:30:29 AM by Chloecat » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do swap im after Alova Suede,will do personal swap with Usa in exchange for fabric.
Kerri_Da
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009 05:10:31 PM »

I have been to quite a few, Some of whichhave closed down since but here goes.
Bankstown - Last visted late 02 or early 03 Nothing spectacular, more bits & pieces then materials. Only went there as closest to where i lived at the time
Castle Hill: Small, old,  helpful staff, nice place to visit, needs more parking.
Blacktown- Was a great store I liked it.. But it's gone
Merrylands- small, crowded, awkward to park ate, again GONE
Auburn/lidcome- Nice & spacious  lots of stuff to see. staff aren't as nice as anywhere else
Penrith, last visited at old store, was good, but haven't see the new store. might go there sunday and check it out.

If i had the time & Patience I would go to Auburn, but normally end up at castle hill as it's now just up the road from new place.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
knickerlady
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009 10:03:06 PM »

Ummm... Rockdale is my favourite, mainly because its so much bigger, cleaner and tidier than the others I've visited like Birkenhead and Bondi J.
Although I've always scored well on the fabric tables at Birkenhead when sale time rolls around!!
I just think its a pity that the Sewing/Craft sections are getting downsized in favour of cheap homewares... hmph!
Although the notion that the new Lincraft in Alexandria replaces the one in the city is laughable! There isnt even a quarter of the fabric selection as there was!!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Jean Harlow always carries sugar in her bag. She says you never can tell when you are liable to meet a horse." Movie Merry Go Round - 1936
Wink hehe!
You can see my little pieces of sugar at www.kissmequick.net.au
Now on Etsy www.kissmequick.etsy.com
Chloecat
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009 04:27:04 AM »

I would like to go to the Auburn store ,maybe in a couple of weeks time, Dee Why used to be a good store until they moved to Belrose now they have nothing of interest for me,half the fabrics have gone. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Coco18
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009 05:22:36 PM »

My local one is Bondi. I dont' sew but the range of fabrics seem decent to me. But yeah, it is rather messy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shelsta78
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009 08:01:56 PM »

Rockdale is by far the cleanest and most organised as well has having the most helpful staff. I live next door to the Birkenhead Point one and will only go in an emergency because there's so many horrible staff there and they never have what you want.

I've also been to Auburn which was good, but didn't have a great selection.

I know it's not strictly Sydney, but if you're heading up the coast for any reason, take a pitt stop into the Gosford one - it's MASSIVE and because it's a large retirement area, there's loads of fabric, wool and all other goodies because so many nanna's live up there.

Likewise, the one in the centre of Newcastle is great - although hideously messy and a really old building the staff are amazing and knowledgeable and they have great stock, I think again it's because of the Nanna's and also proximity to a country area where Craft and sewing pursuits are more common.

I know it's not Spotlight, but the Lincraft Bulk store at Alexandria homemaker centre is also quite good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
julietalpha
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009 01:11:58 AM »

I concur - the Newcastle shop is messy but great to poke around in.  There is also a new one at Rutherford that I've only visited once but it is very big.

The one at Tuggerah is also relatively big and messy but still good.

But woe is me - I'm now in Canberra and I've got to go interstate to get to a Spotlight.  The nearest shop is in Queanbeyan, which isn't far but it sounds a long way!  We've got two small Lincraft stores in Canberra and they're both fail in comparison to Spotty - small, expensive and they don't seem to have much variety.  I get the feeling Lincraft just isn't as good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

So much to make, so little time!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Smooth, Shiny Hair
Easy Hair Extensions
Gloss Products Review
What to do With Thinning Hair
Beauty Hair Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...