A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,472
Currently Running With Scissors:
663 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial - Boxy Cosmetic Bag with higher placed zipper  (Read 40166 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , template , cosmetic_bag  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: January 30, 2009 04:03:59 AM »

Ok.  Let's get the ugly stuff out the way.  Please do not take this tutorial and sell it (even if that means taking your own pictures and re-writing the steps).  I have worked hard in figuring out how to raise the zipper higher in this type of bag and I do NOT appreciate it being taken and sold and making a profit off someone else's hard work.  So PLEASE....do not sell this pattern.  If I find this pattern/tutorial for sale, I shall pursue the matter to the FULL extent of the law.  I do realise there are similar tutorials but this differs in the zipper placement and is a complete new pattern.  HOWEVER, in saying that I have no problem if you wish to sell a bag that you make from this tutorial - so it's not all ugly talk!!!  Wink

This tutorial arose from a question about my earlier tutorial on a cosmetic bag.  I have taken the boxy cosmetic bag (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=128258.0), and altered the pattern, in that I have raised the zipper in the sides, so that the zipper does not sit in the middle of the side.  Here's what I mean:

What you need:

14.5 x 13 inch fabric for main fabric
14.5 x 13 inch interfacing
14.5 x 13 inch lining
12 inch or longer zipper (this is trimmed down later)

Cut fabric/intefacing/lining to the above measurements.  Iron the interfacing to the wrong side of the main fabric.

Then cut yourself a template from cardboard that measures 3 1/4 x 5 1/4 inch with a 1 1/4 square cut out of the corner.  The next picture shows how it will look (including all the measurements):

With the 14.5 inch side towards you (the side at the bottom of the picture in the next photo), trace around the template on each of the corners as shown in the picture:

Cut out the corner pieces just marked.  This is how it will look once all the corner pieces are cut:

Sew in your zipper.  In the next picture, you will see why a 'longer' zipper is helpful.  I sewed this zipper in when it was fully open:

This is what it's like when the zipper is sewn in and trimmed:

Sew the small end pieces together on each side.  If you wish to sew little 'tabs' in to help with opening and closing the bag, now is the time to sew them into this seam:

Before you do the next step MAKE SURE YOUR ZIPPER IS OPENED otherwise you will have trouble turning the bag once you have completed the next step.  OK.  Now pinch the corners and sew all four sides of the bag.  It should start looking something like this:

Once you have all sides done, turn right sides out.  Now to start on the lining.  Press 1/4 inch along each long edge like this:

Then continue with the side ends as you did the cosmetic bag and then each side corner as you did for the cosmetic bag.  Hand sew the lining to the bag:

That's it!!!  Enjoy!!  As always, if you have any questions, please ask.

Wink
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009 01:51:08 PM by queenofdiy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
stewd_arts
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009 05:10:06 AM »

Oh. My. God.

Where did you find that Mr. Men/ Little Miss fabric?! I want it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"From my rotting body, flowers shall grow and I am in them and that is eternity."
    Edvard Munch
MightyMouse
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009 05:14:48 AM »

Thanks for the tutorial and I chime in: Where did you get that awesome fabric???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hockamama
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009 05:40:42 AM »

you are truly the queen!  thank you so much for posting this, and all the trouble you went through to raise the zipper.  I'm very happy and impressed that from our conversations, you knew exactly what I wanted.  thank you again! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A work of art is the unique result of a unique temperament.
  ~Oscar Wilde

wistpinterestfacebook
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009 06:43:51 AM »

I don't sew, so I'm always impressed by anyone who can sit down and figure this stuff out.  I'm even more impressed because I saw the bag you did before, and this is a great improvement.  Excellent job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009 07:28:20 AM »

This looks so completely "do-able"!  Thanks you so much - great job on the tut!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd.etsy.com
rauni
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009 07:38:41 AM »

Thanks so much for the tutorial, this is great!

Rauni
Northern Canada
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009 01:41:51 PM »

Thanks everyone for your kind words.  I truely appreciate it!!  Kiss  Kiss

Oh. My. God.

Where did you find that Mr. Men/ Little Miss fabric?! I want it.

I live in Australia and I found it while on holidays at our fabric chain called Spotlight.  They were clearing fabrics for $2 per metre......I bought what was left on the roll (I think about 6 metres in total)!!!  I'm happy to do a swap if you would like some (or something made from it!).

Thanks for the tutorial and I chime in: Where did you get that awesome fabric???

Thanks MightyMouse.  The green fabric I also got from Spotlight.  It's a Christmas fabric.  Also, you have a PM  Wink

you are truly the queen!  thank you so much for posting this, and all the trouble you went through to raise the zipper.  I'm very happy and impressed that from our conversations, you knew exactly what I wanted.  thank you again! Grin

Hey hockamama!!  I was going to send you a PM but it was late when I finished this tutorial!!  I tried rounding the corners at the top but it just looked awful. 

Also, for anyone needing a more comprehensive look at how these bags are made, there's a fantastic tutorial on the original boxy bag eg. it shows the zipper being put in together with the lining being sewed in at the same time (an overlocker is helpful):

http://patchyapple.wordpress.com/2009/01/15/patchyapple-boxy-bag-tutorial/

These tutorials differ in that you can see how the zipper sits in the sides.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009 03:44:30 PM by queenofdiy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
JerseyGal
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009 06:36:34 PM »

Again, queenofdiy, you have outdone yourself!!  Thank you so much for your wonderful tutes.  Just remember how much you are appreciated here on craftster.
I will try one of these soon.  My cosmetic bags are my favs.  And your tutes make it very easy to create something special.
Thanks from the New York City area to you there in Australia!!!!  I guess that makes you "world famous"!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SUBMITEVERYTHOUGHT
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009 07:45:35 PM »

Wonderful bag! Thank you for the clear, concise tute! Your creations are so unique and well thought out. This rocks and you rock for sharing. I gotta hit the button NOW!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Genesis 8:22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 19/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 22/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 2/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 21/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 20/30
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...