A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Valentine's Day Gifts? Is this unusual?  (Read 4134 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2009 05:41:11 PM »

My mom sends me cards and sometimes candy for all the holidays and sometimes just because. She sent me *2* get well cards last week. I think it is sweet and just reminds you that no matter what you mom is always going to be there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
Imsleepy

Zurich, my service dog

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2009 07:16:19 PM »

In my heart, i knew it was a good thing. 
It is!  It shows love.  It says "You're special."  It says you're thinking of them.  It's one of those "little things" that individually hold more meaning than all the big things put together. 

I'm an anti-Valentine's Day person.  I've always had bad luck on that day, romantically-wise.  Even when I was married, my husband would disappoint me.  (He went out of his way to disappoint me on holidays, one of the many reasons he's now an ex  Wink  )  But even though I don't like the day romantically.. I always get my sons a little something.  They're now 24 and 19.  The 19 yr old is now living out of state, and I'm mailing a package to him of little nothings.  A small heart shaped box of Russel Stover candies.. I think they've got like 4 candies in them.  That's what I usually get each of them, but this year, because he's out of state, I'm throwing a bunch of other little things in there too.  Nothing extravagant, all things he doesn't need.. but hopefully will give him a smile. 

Basically, the day is supposed to be a romantic holiday, but I prefer to think of it as a day to show love, especially the non-romantic kind!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~If someone offers you a gift, and you decline to accept it, the other person still owns that gift. The same is true of insults and verbal attacks.
~We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart.
~Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.  I'll take cheese over worms!
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2009 10:13:10 AM »

Just so you know, I got a Valentine's card yesterday from my mom. And when I called her to say thanks, she said "I'm sending another one because it was funny."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
colourandy
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2009 10:20:36 AM »

The thing you have to ask yourself is, do they enjoy it ? Because if they do, then there's no need to stop.

My father & step mum have always given me presents & candy on Valentines Day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the1irishgirl
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2009 11:43:38 AM »

No, I don't think it's weird at all!  My family still celebrates and I'll be getting my daughter a few little valentine things and mailing my parents a card (sheesh, I better do that today!).  I'm making valentine goody bags for all the children of my co-workers, too - and let me assure you, I don't have romantic feelings for my coworkers children.   Roll Eyes

Maybe you need to get your friend a little something, too, so she feels what it's like to get a little unexpected present letting her know someone is thinking of her.  Maybe then she'll understand why you do it!  Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scream-a-little
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2009 10:15:20 PM »

Just another thought... maybe you should print these posts out for your friend?  Wink
Well thank you all for backing me on this one.. I did up the goodies for my girls last nite... hair goodies and cheap jewelry..  a bit of candy and little heart books.. just little thingies..
dh is getting some 2nd hand books and some candy..
i think i will be doing a roast for dinner for them.. or something a little fancy
hope everyone has a wonderful valentine's day.. kisses & hugs.. scream-a-little
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"One shoe can change your life"   Cinderella
PrincessJasmine
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009 04:48:59 PM »

I agree, I'm 32... my parents are divorced and I still get cards from both mom and dad for v-tine's day.  I think it so sweet.  Carry on darling   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DarthSqurl
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2009 10:55:20 AM »

Oh my goodness no don't stop! If it makes you happy, then go on doing it.  My mom claims that "Cupid Angel" (along with the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, depending on the holiday) still visits me and my siblings and we're in our 20s.
I think it's sweet and I love getting her things too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes, my guinea pig is hairless.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Ways to Wear Blue Makeup
October 2013 To-Do List
Beauty Buys to Join the Fight Against Breast Cancer
Gwen Stefani Collabs For OPI Nail Collection
How to Find Your Perfect Shade of Foundation
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...