A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
625 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fibre Friday - 30th January 2009  (Read 3853 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

patchworkarmy

Goin where the water tastes like wine...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2009 10:18:45 PM »

go slow and stop when you need to. Go at the pace the fiber wants to go. also, it's best suited to thinner yarns. I've found with my own yarns that when I try to navajo ply bulkier yarns, there's always a lump where the "loop" ends up if you get what I mean... but keep trying! it's fun.
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

icemelon
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009 10:36:50 PM »

oh my gosh! so many amazing yarns this week!
If i was forced to pick a favorite, i'd have to say pmpknpunk's green sparkly one. because you all know i'm a big sucker for sparklies! And Jazzturtle, yummmyum yarns!
And everyone, yay!

I wish that I had had more time this week to spin, but i did happen to pick up an ENTIRE OUNCE of pink angelina! I'm so excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wynn
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009 10:54:44 PM »

Mmmm... so many yummy fibres!
I am recently fibre-obsessed, but I am addicted big time. I blame all of you and your beautiful squishy yarny goodness Smiley! I am teaching myself to spin on a drop spindle, so hopefully I will have something to show off in a week or two, instead of just lurking and drooling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myklia
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2009 06:15:20 AM »

I am recently fibre-obsessed, but I am addicted big time. I blame all of you and your beautiful squishy yarny goodness Smiley! I am teaching myself to spin on a drop spindle, so hopefully I will have something to show off in a week or two, instead of just lurking and drooling.

That is exactly how I started.  First you discover Fiber Friday, go into serious drool mode, then you get a drop spindle kit and start spinning.  I hear all these stories of people finding free or super cheap wheels,  I hope I can get that lucky.  I should post on freecycle and see if I get lucky.

I hate being gone away from the thread for a day, so many gorgeous yarns this week.  Oh my, I am so envious.  Where is the drool emoticon?? Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2009 07:17:43 AM »

That is exactly how I started.  First you discover Fiber Friday, go into serious drool mode, then you get a drop spindle kit and start spinning.  I hear all these stories of people finding free or super cheap wheels,  I hope I can get that lucky.  I should post on freecycle and see if I get lucky.

I hate being gone away from the thread for a day, so many gorgeous yarns this week.  Oh my, I am so envious.  Where is the drool emoticon?? Wink

yup thats how it all starts... Click on the pretty pic of yarn one friday thinking  "hrm I wonder what they made out of that beautiful stuff?"  and then to find out that they MADE that beautiful stuff holy cow, your addicted.  I love it I'm so glad I stumbled on fiber friday,  Theres no turning back baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thenutmeg2000

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2009 07:43:06 AM »

Wow Faren, the batts came out amazing for your yarn!! That looks lushious!! I am proud of you!

I have only one to post, and I am tardy. This is the one I did last week for a swap here for the handspun yarn swap. My partner recieved so I can post it now. I posted the roving a bit ago but I will post again. Peacock Feathers, 2-ply, hand dyed by me:

Which begat this yarn:

The hat is made of Spunky Ecclectic NOrwegian top from her FoM club last year. I also knit the hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2009 11:41:43 AM »

I got started the same way lol, or at least I thought I did.  After I bought my wheel I called my mom very excitedly and told her and she said about time you've been wanting one for 5 years now.   A good friend bought her wheel about 5 years ago and I studied and researched and drooled and desired for a long while then moved and got caught up in other things then we flash forward and found fiber fridays and lost myself lol there was no resisting the 2nd time around. (getting an awesome deal on my wheel helped too)

I've yet to ever try anything on a drop spindle, the logistics of it don't make sense in my brain.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
nikolelily
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2009 12:02:02 PM »

better late than never!

im pretty proud of this one, i think about 120 yrds?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

think for yourself, question authority.
Jane Doe

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2009 03:19:21 PM »

nikolelily - beautifully warm colours.
natashafatale - love your colourful yarns
jazzturtle - your yarns look like so much fun to spin  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jane Doe

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2009 04:38:10 PM »

I'll jump in the tail end of this.
Electro was spun in time, but the camera battery was flat  Undecided
So I bammed it up a notch, and went for some really bright electric colours to corespin

I filled an XL bobbin so it's almost a double skein.
Lotsa yarn  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
3 Habits That Damage Your Hair and How to Avoid Them
Celebrity Hair Trend: Braided Chignon
Jennifer Aniston Sports Shorter Hair Cut
Three Back-to-School Braided Looks
How to Get the Perfect Curly Cut
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...