A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,051
Currently Running With Scissors:
434 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's a Tetris Afghan.  (Read 5057 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CaterpillarPeacock
Crawling for your love.

Tiny hats always beat big ones.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 29, 2009 09:07:33 PM »

This is the afghan that made me realize that I hate making afghans. I have so much respect for those who make these on a regular basis.

That's right it's a Tetris afghan! This was SUPPOSED to be a birthday present for my boyfriend, last April. Then it turned into an anniversary present when I hadn't finished by August. Now it's done done done, so, Valentine's? I think so.  Unfortunately, now that we live together I couldn't keep it a secret any longer, so he already has it. It's living on our wall.

Construction details: 

It's made from Red Heart Soft worsted weight yarn. I tried to pick the colours according to the Nintendo DS version of Tetris since that's the version he plays. They're pretty close, except for the purple really. I used a G hook I believe.

The whole thing is constructed with granny squares made from double crochets, sooo many granny squares. I seamed the whole thing using the black yarn and single crochet. HARDCORE.

Now that I'm done all I can say is NEVER AGAIN.

Enjoy!

Edit: Featured on http://geekcrafts.com today!! thanks!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009 09:43:33 AM by CaterpillarPeacock » THIS ROCKS   Logged

spooky.kitty
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009 09:44:24 PM »

yay i love it  Cheesy

and This is the afghan that made me realize that I hate making afghans.
lol i feel the same i tried makin the s'n'b no signal afghan and totally gave up not even halfway through.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CaterpillarPeacock
Crawling for your love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009 09:48:29 PM »

yay i love it  Cheesy

and This is the afghan that made me realize that I hate making afghans.
lol i feel the same i tried makin the s'n'b no signal afghan and totally gave up not even halfway through.

Oh trust me, there were many times that I thought about giving up but it was just one of those things, once I get an idea in my head I HAVE to see it through.

While working on this project I kept all the squares in shoe boxes so they didn't take over my entire bedroom. Then I moved, and moved again. After completing the entire thing I found A WHOLE BOX of black squares tucked away with the rest of my crafting stuff. It was like an entire afternoon's work. Now I have all these squares and no where to use them. I wanted to use them to make a border, but that was a bust when I realized there wasn't enough to go around, and I remembered that I HATE making afghans. So, they will live in their box until I can put them to use. *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shutupandsmile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009 10:19:40 PM »

ooh very nice

you could donate the extra squares to one of the charities that takes square donations and then assembles them into afghans
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009 06:20:34 AM »

Love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
CaterpillarPeacock
Crawling for your love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009 07:47:38 AM »

ooh very nice

you could donate the extra squares to one of the charities that takes square donations and then assembles them into afghans

Good call! I'm gonna start looking into that right now. Thanks for the suggestion Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meekssandygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009 08:11:29 AM »

Cool!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BunnieBard
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009 09:59:12 AM »

Oooh haha, the "Hey this is an awesome idea and should be easy... right??"

Wroooong. I have made one and only one afghan out of squares, because just when you've finished all the squares and think you're done.... no. No, now you've got to sew them all together.

Phwoo! I congratulate you on your effort, though! Late or not, it turned out great. I am a huge fan of all nerdy crochet...  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CaterpillarPeacock
Crawling for your love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009 11:20:26 AM »

Oooh haha, the "Hey this is an awesome idea and should be easy... right??"

Wroooong. I have made one and only one afghan out of squares, because just when you've finished all the squares and think you're done.... no. No, now you've got to sew them all together.

Phwoo! I congratulate you on your effort, though! Late or not, it turned out great. I am a huge fan of all nerdy crochet...  Smiley

You clearly understand exactly what I was going though while working on this labour of love. Nerdy crochet is indeed, where it's at.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prettyinkpink
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009 11:23:59 AM »

Wow, looks like a looot of work, maybe this is a "never again" piece but is unique and awesome. Very well done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Straightening Techniques
Sexy Short Hairstyle Tips
How to Dye Hair at Home
How to Create a Messy Ponytail
How to Do the Slip Knot Braid
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...