A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 296,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can I use this particular FO?  (Read 305 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KharmicCurse
« on: January 29, 2009 03:02:00 PM »

So I would like to try some very simple M&P soap and massage oil for My Guy for V-Day. Beyond reading a book on Melt & Pour, I don't have any experience with this craft.

He's kind of picky with what scents he likes, like most men probably. He likes sandalwood, but loves vanilla and cinnamon. Sandalwood and vanilla aren't very hard to find, bath accessory-wise, so I thought I would make some cinnamon-scented swag.

My question is this: is cinnamon something that doesn't mix well with skin? Will using a Fragrance oil instead of Essential oil avoid any problems with the strength of cinnamon? Should I look for an oil that has another scent/herb blended with the cinnamon?

And since I haven't really found any info in the book that covers this, what is different from an Essential oil and an Extract, that makes EO's usable in soap/etc, but extracts not?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gigiallin
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009 06:03:13 PM »

Cinnamon EO can be irritating on skin, but an FO should be fine as long as it's approved for use in soap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009 06:50:44 PM »

Essential oil is a product that is pure plant essence. They are oil based and they are pretty close to being pure which-ever-plant you choose. The book definition is: "An oil is 'essential' in the sense that it carries a distinctive scent, or essence, of the plant." It you believe in alternative medicine or aromatherapy, they have the healing properties of that plant. (Lavender = calming, anti-inflammatory, etc.)

By extracts, I assume you're meaning the stuff you buy in the baking section at the store? That CANNOT be used in soap because it is alcohol based. If you go and grab your vanilla, orange, almond or whatever extract out of your cabinet, you'll see a large portion of it is alcohol, water and maybe some sugar and colorant. Alcohol and soap are NOT friends!!! Do NOT use extracts! (as your trivia fact of the evening, vanilla extract was initially produced with bourbon and vanilla, PERIOD. Nummy, huh? Smiley )

I would use cinnamon FO, as gigiallin said because cinnamon EO is very irritating to the skin. (Cinnamon and peppermint are the EOs you want to be careful with as one is irritating, and the other can be burning.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
KharmicCurse
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009 08:52:27 PM »

Excellent, thank you both!

The book I have, while interesting, is pretty spare on the "why" of it all. It mentions that extracts and baking sources Can't be used, just doesn't go into the reasoning. Thank you for satisfying my curiosity!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adding Background Elements and Importing Photoshop Smart Objects
A New Way to Flatten Images in CS3
5 Tips For Layer Styles
5 Things You Need to Know About the Gradient Tool in Photoshop
5 Things You Need to Know About Filters in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...