A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,383
Currently Running With Scissors:
684 Guests and 42 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Under this respectable veneer, danger lurks...  (Read 1254 times)
Tags for this thread: coat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KitschyCoo
« on: January 29, 2009 06:08:06 AM »

I finished version two of my boys coat last night.  Version one was the marching band coat and it was single breasted with a hood, this one is double breasted with a pointy collar.  Is the collar too big?  Huh 

This side of the coat is blue twill and I've closed it with with green buttons. I had black buttons all laid out, but decided that was a little bit too conservative for me so I used forest green. What do you think? It was about 1AM when I made this decision so maybe it wasn't an entirely lucid conclusion!  I was planning on six buttons but I ran out of supplies, should I add them when I get more or is it okay with four?

This picture shows how the cut differs from the girl's version, it's more boxy and wider through the shoulders. It's still slightly a-line but much less so than the girl's.

He might look like a respectable little fellow, but I made the other side out of Tattoo fabric from Alexander Henry. Might look innocent enough from a distance (albeit busy), but take looking closer there are tattoos, knives, gambling and pneumatic women in bikinis. Perfect for an impressionable toddler. But maybe not for Grandma.  Grin

Thanks for looking, feedback always appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vegbee
Tutorial Contributor

tip-toeing though the pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009 06:39:50 AM »

I've wanted to comment on your last few posts but never seem to have the hands to type with - I love the way your jackets are developing and adore the double breasted ones.  I'm always excited to see your latest creation.  Thanks for sharing  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Flutteringby
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009 08:26:34 AM »

I just love that tattoo fabric - fantastic - love the jackets and I think the Green buttons are fab
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandodeb
Viva Handmade!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009 10:29:52 AM »

Great coat!  I love reversible garments.  I don't believe the collar is too big, but if you make another I'm sure you could downsize it if you want.  Personally, I think the collar balances the rest of the shape and weight of the coat.  I like the buttons, and four is perfect!

The tattoo fabric is a fun surprise!  Good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kid_md
Sew Busy

Longing for more time - to SEW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009 02:51:15 PM »

So cute!  The collar and buttons are perfect, and that lining fabric is genius!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

UUmom2many
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009 03:34:47 PM »

Super cute! I still am amazed you're making your own patterns they're so good. I can't even fathom how you do it! It's definatly something I aspire to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crystal

Homeschooling mom to five, 2 with special needs. Fabric hoarder, urban homesteader, writer, weight lifter and general crafty bitch.
faliciagayle
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009 06:24:40 PM »

super cute!  I think the tattoo fabric is genius.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mediocrates
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009 10:08:26 AM »

I love it! I think the collar size lends a decidedly vintage feel to it, while a smaller one would look a little more modern. My preference, of course, is for the vintage...

Can't wait to make the little girl's version from the pattern you sent, and I should note that after comparing your directions to the ones that came with my most recent sewing project, my husband thinks you're either a genius or some sort of sewing god. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry ID: mediocrates
klum78

Actual size shown

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009 10:28:11 AM »

This looks rally great!  I am excited to see the development of more boy stuff!  There are not enough cute boy patterns out there.  I may have to give this one a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We are in the process of switching over to cloth diapers.  Would love some advice, hint, tips.   Will swap for diapers!
My etsy shop: KimberlyMade
Wisty Goodness
KitschyCoo
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009 03:49:00 PM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback!  I'm in a quandary about the collar, the feedback on my blog was the collar is a bit too big!  And someone said the cut is still somewhat feminine, so now double angst!  I need to decide soon, the coolest fabric in the world is heading my way (been waiting two weeks  Shocked) for hopefully the final version.

Super cute! I still am amazed you're making your own patterns they're so good. I can't even fathom how you do it! It's definatly something I aspire to.
It gets much easier the more you do it.  Especially as now I have a wee arsenal, I can mix and match sleeves, necklines, lengths etc.  Saves me from doing it from scratch each time!

Can't wait to make the little girl's version from the pattern you sent, and I should note that after comparing your directions to the ones that came with my most recent sewing project, my husband thinks you're either a genius or some sort of sewing god. Smiley
Ha, that made me laugh!  You can just tell your husband I'm a dork, that's the truth  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
S1:E10 | Madeline Checo Slims Down to Get Pregnant | Decoding Style
How to Take Your Look From Day to Night With INGLOT Cosmetics
How to Create Converse-Inspired Nail Art
Get Youthful Eyes and Lips With JeNu Active-Youth Skincare System
Beautiful and Healthy from the Inside Out
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...