A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question about urchin hat..  (Read 635 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

weet!
« on: January 29, 2009 12:51:35 AM »

so i decided i'd give knitting a second chance.. (in the past i've only ever done the most basic hats and scarves) and started making an urchin hat from knitty yesterday. so i got to the end of the first wedge and got a little confused by what the pattern meant in the 6th, 7th, and 8th row because it doesn't seem to follow with how it looks in the picture... so here's the part of the pattern..

"There are 5 wrapped sts on the wider side of the wedge; this edge will form part of the hat brim. There are 8[9, 10] wrapped sts on the narrower side of the wedge.

Row 6 [WS]: K to end.

Row 7 [RS]: K all sts.

Row 8 [WS]: Sl 1, k to end."

sooo i already knitted what i thought it meant so ill just tell you what i did and you can tell me if i'm wrong...
so after row #5 there are about 5 or 6 (i forget exactly how many now but i think its irrelevant at this point) sts that are in the row that are not wrapped sts, and then on one side of those there are 9 wrapped sts and 5 wrapped sts on the other. so in row 6 i knitted all the way to the end of the needle including the wrapped sts. then for row 7 knitted all the way to the other end including all wrapped sts and same for row 8, except for the slip stitch at the end.

if i were to only reading it, it makes sense to me, so i guess the only reason i've been questioning myself was because in the picture it doesn't seem like that edge of the wedge has a whole 2 rows of knitting...

a little help would be greatly appreciated  Smiley thanks guys!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedMenace
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009 08:25:32 AM »

In the pdf version available through ravlery, the wording is a little different (possibly more helpful?)

Row 6: k across all sts, ignoring wraps.

Row 7 (WS): k across all sts, ignoring wraps.

Row 8 (RS): sl1, k to end

It looks to me like you did the right thing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

weet!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009 07:44:15 PM »

well, actually, i would normally take "ignoring wraps" to mean not knitting them... which i did  Huh

oh well thanks for the help  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RedMenace
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009 09:48:27 AM »

Ah. I took it to mean "don't pay any special attention to them, just treat them like normal stitches"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009 10:52:12 AM »

Nope, `ignore sts' means leave 'em be for a while, we'll get back to them later. Well, sorta....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
weet!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009 09:23:47 PM »

well i hope you're right Soozeq, because i already undid the wedges that i already finished and fixed them that way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sharra

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009 01:30:19 PM »

Hi, I also have a question about this pattern so hopefully I'm in the right place. 
I'm really confused in general so I'll just go through the whole process.

Row 1 [rs]: K to last 2 sts, W&T So: 1.) KNIT: knit to the last 2 sts, 2.) WRAP: bring the yarn forward, slip the next stitch, [second to last stitch], on your Left Needle onto your Right needle, bring the yarn to the back Do I slip the stitch back onto the Left needle? 3.) TURN because of how the stitch was wrapped, now I'm in a position to purl, but in order to knit on the next row I bring the yarn to the back and in effect wrap the same stitch again?
Row 2 [ws]: k to end
Row 3 [rs]: k to last st before wrapped st of previous row, W&T So, knit to the last 3 sts, W&T

Repeat these rows [2] times more.  [4] sts have been wrapped in total.

Row 4 [ws]: K to last 4 sts, W&T Got it, I'm now wrapping stitches on both ends of the wedge
Row 5: K to last st before wrapped st of previous row, W&T

Repeat this row 8 times more.  so does this mean that on the RS of the fabric I will be wrapping sts in addition to the 4 that have already been wrapped (in rows 2 and 3,) and on the WS that the one wrapped st of row 4 will now be added to. OR does this mean I will be wrapping stitches on both ends of the wedge for all right and wrong side rows for 8 rows?

There are 5 wrapped sts on the wider side of the wedge, there are [9] wrapped sts on the narrower side of the wedge
I don't get where these numbers come from  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"In the dark cloud descending out of the sky the twice forked lightning-tree grows up from the earth."
Tephra
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009 07:41:51 PM »

Hi, I also have a question about this pattern so hopefully I'm in the right place. 
I'm really confused in general so I'll just go through the whole process.

Row 1 [rs]: K to last 2 sts, W&T So: 1.) KNIT: knit to the last 2 sts, 2.) WRAP: bring the yarn forward, slip the next stitch, [second to last stitch], on your Left Needle onto your Right needle, bring the yarn to the back Do I slip the stitch back onto the Left needle? 3.) TURN because of how the stitch was wrapped, now I'm in a position to purl, but in order to knit on the next row I bring the yarn to the back and in effect wrap the same stitch again?

You do slip the stitch back to the left, before or after turning the work, doesn't matter. Then you bring the yarn back again so you've wrapped all the way around that stitch. If you look down on the gap between the wrapped stitch the the stitches to be worked you'll see an X of yarn.

Row 2 [ws]: k to end
Row 3 [rs]: k to last st before wrapped st of previous row, W&T So, knit to the last 3 sts, W&T

Repeat these rows [2] times more.  [4] sts have been wrapped in total.

Row 4 [ws]: K to last 4 sts, W&T Got it, I'm now wrapping stitches on both ends of the wedge
Row 5: K to last st before wrapped st of previous row, W&T

Repeat this row 8 times more.  so does this mean that on the RS of the fabric I will be wrapping sts in addition to the 4 that have already been wrapped (in rows 2 and 3,) and on the WS that the one wrapped st of row 4 will now be added to. OR does this mean I will be wrapping stitches on both ends of the wedge for all right and wrong side rows for 8 rows?

You wrap stitches at the end of the row every row rather than every other as you started with.

There are 5 wrapped sts on the wider side of the wedge, there are [9] wrapped sts on the narrower side of the wedge
I don't get where these numbers come from  Huh

At the end of row 5 you have five wrapped stitches on the narrow end of the wedge, and one on the wide end. You then wrap the last stitch of every row for eight more rows, which adds four stitches to each side, leaving you with nine and five.

Clear as mud?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sharra

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009 09:44:23 AM »

Ah HA!
Thanks!
I'll have to give this a try as soon as I can sit down with my yarn  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"In the dark cloud descending out of the sky the twice forked lightning-tree grows up from the earth."
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following Patterns
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Diagrams
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Starting Projects
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Stitches
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Advance Patterns
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...