A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
560 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help! Ideas for art projects for adults with disabilities  (Read 5553 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LittleBlueTeacup
« on: January 28, 2009 07:20:48 PM »

I recently started volunteering with a local charity. I run an art class every week for groups of up to 20 adults with disabilities. I see 2 groups every week, spending about an hour with each group.

I am trying to think of ideas for easy art projects that aren't too childish. The adults I am working with need varying levels of support. Some are quite independent, others have limited speech and need more help with new things. I think art is great for everyone because you can't get it wrong - it's up to you what you make. I want to give people a chance to experiment with different colors and textures, create something new, build their confidence and give them another way to express themselves.

Does anyone have any ideas for projects we could try?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
eye.heart.art

big, fat AND delicious!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009 09:08:39 PM »

I work with children with autism but not in a group setting.  Are you that only person giving instruction?  Do you have any aides/helpers?  I would start with painting.  Make a slide show or power point around a theme for inspiration and then let them do what they want.  Some themes could be Fauvism or impressionism, food, land or city scapes, animals, etc..  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Help me get naked in Greece! LunaGrrrl.Etsy.com
TechnicolorAquahearts

Proud Slytherin in the HP Summer Craftalong!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009 01:42:13 AM »

Printing with things like vegtables, kitchen utensils and other objects that have texture is great for groups with a widely varied skill level. The items can be chunky enough for people who have lower motor ability and the textures can have enough variety to spark the imagination of the ones that have a higher functioning level. There are lots of ways that a printing project can be made less childish: They could make a print and then use it as a background for some other art, or they could print on a bag or other wearable item.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: www.lynnaquaheart.etsy.com
Like me on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/AquaheartStudios
Follow Me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/LynnAquaheart
I have a blog about all things creative! http://lynnaquaheart.blogspot.com
CamOovas
Don't drink and craftster.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009 08:29:01 AM »

I am not a fan of scrapbooking myself, but where I work we had a group doing scrapbooking and everyone seemed to love it.  It's something that can be very simple or more complex, depending on what level people are functioning at.  Plus it is personal and something they can share with their friends and family.  If you need supplies, check out someplace like sherwin williams- they will probably give you lots of old wallpaper books.  Sometmes they charge for them, but if you tell them what it is for they probably won't.

Also something like bath scrubs or salts might be good- they could pick what color or scent they want to use so everyone's could be a little different.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009 08:50:15 AM »

clay projects work well too..they are tactile and allows the art to be abstract..

you can make your own clay to make the costs very low.

rubbings..put different textures under paper and you can lay down a roll of butcher paper down and use crayons to rub the different textures..

painting is great .. you could make scratch and sniff paint so itll be multisensory..

good luck..sounds fun!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
WiccadWitch
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009 01:01:43 PM »

Polymer clay might be an idea. There's quite a few simple jewelry ideas women could make, men could make something to affix to a tie tack, maybe?

The only problem is that they would have to be cured in an oven so they wouldn't be able to take them the same day probably.

They could also make ATCs or other demensional artwork that could be framed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Uñas Espaciales - Laura Sánchez
How to Pull Off Elizabeth Taylor’s Coral Lip Look
Hair Removal Methods: Wax Strips Vs. Epilator
Skincare Picks for Ethnic Skin
Quick and Easy Ways to Look Rested
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...