A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
613 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rubix Cube Earrings - I know, they really aren't very good.  (Read 1895 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

x_maggief

Once upon a time

View Profile WWW
« on: January 28, 2009 06:45:10 PM »

So.
I'm not really proud of these.
They turned out shitty and were a damn lot of work - I wanted them to be authentic.
I scrambled my rubix cube and used that to make sure they looked authentic. Aka, if they moved they'd be 'solveable'.

But. Well. I cut up all the squares seperately.

9 x 6 x 2 = 108 little mini tiny squares.

And I don't even have pierced ears.

But, my friend loved them. It was her birthday and she kept hinting about how much she wanted a rubix cube, so I made her these to go along with it.
=)

Even though they're crap, I thought I'd share, maybe you could give me some advice??

Left earring.

Right earring.

The two together finished hanging on a mug. Yeah. I'm creative.... xD

And that's the best view of the best one so, uh, yeah. =)

Yep.
That's all.
=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My wists: http://wists.com/x_maggief

My tumblr: maggiefisher.tumblr.com
kabochan
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009 06:55:45 PM »

Hon! Have some confidence in yourself!  I have never once seen anyone say, "wow, you really didn't do that very well did you" on here, so don't worry!  So maybe you would have liked them to look "perfect".  If you wanted something to look "perfect" and seamless then buy it at the store.  I love them and am really impressed at the detail you went to even make them solvable!  You made these, and that is awesome.  Be proud of yourself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

greenspan still rocks my monetary policy
alixianervosa

That's what she said

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009 07:00:28 PM »

I think they're cute!

Did you use anything besides the clay to put them together?  I don't know anything about clay, but maybe if you did them  again you could line the cubes up on toothpicks or something to make them stay in straight lines when you bake them?!

Like I said, I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I thought I'd try.

Your friend liked em, and so do I!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." -Willy Wonka
JuJu!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009 07:02:02 PM »

Wow...
Those are soo cute!
all those tiny cubes...wow haha.
Cheesy  Great, I love them.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
farihahk
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009 07:09:55 PM »

i think that they're adorable! but for the future, try to cut strips of florists wire (23 gage i think...not too sure) just cut a couple of strips and stick them through. kind of like a skeleton. lol im not describing it very well, sorry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyndy225
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009 07:19:43 PM »

I think they're cute too! and the amount of work you put into the detail is impressive.

I'm not sure what your process was exactly, but I think the clay might have been too soft, just work it until it does what you need it to. And I'm not sure what you used for cutting, but razor blades work great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

x_maggief

Once upon a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009 08:05:27 PM »

Thank you so much. =) You crafsters really know how to make a girl feel good!!

Okay, let me see. I didn't use anything else, I just made a black square and stuck all the other colours onto it. If that makes sense??

I know what you mean about the wire, but I don't know how well that would work? You know what I mean? I don't know. Just with the way I did it. And thanks, I don't plan on doing them ever again. >D

Maybe! Razor blades! Agh! Shoulda thought of that!
I was using like dental floss, like. Pressing it really thin and then pressing the floss down, like that combined with one of those things that you use to check if a pie is baked.
Something like that.
=)

Thanks again, guys, it really means a lot!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cherry_faery
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009 08:12:56 PM »

I'm in agreement with everyone in that I think they're pretty awesome too!  It should also be said that you deserve kudos for the fact that it's clear that these are Rubix cubes.  You can tell right away what they are so you should be proud of that alone.  

As far as advice goes, I've found that working with polymer can sometimes be a little frustrating, particularly if I've been working on something for a while and my hands have warmed it up a lot.  It can sometimes help a piece to let it cool off, particularly if you're working with different colors in the same piece.

In any case, you shouldn't be down on yourself because a gift like this means worlds to people like your friend.  It shows that you know what she liked and that you care enough about her to put the time in to make her something special.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make anything except a straight line.
peri81
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2009 09:57:10 PM »

Those are super awesome! I know my niece would love to have something like that. She is in love with her Rubix cube. I also think that it is extra neat that you went to the extra trouble to make sure it was solvable.

If you decide to ever make them again maybe just make a block and score deep to make it look like they are separate blocks and than paint them? I don't even know if that is possible with the material you used.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
x_maggief

Once upon a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009 10:37:20 PM »

Awh, thanks so much, cherry_faery.
Yeah. Me and polymer clay don't really get along well. I just get frusturated because it's so small and I get fingerprints all over everything and I hate how people can make SUCH amazing things and mine just look blegh. But thanks for the advice- I'll try that!

After I did them, peri81, I kind of figured that would be easier. If I just used a white square. I just didn't have much time, I made them the day of the party, right? So I went this way. And next time, I'll try that.

Thanks. I was debating making one of the scrambled and one of them solved, but, I didn't know if people would get it, so, well, yeah! Plus neither me nor the friend who got them know how to solve them or have ever done it, so I felt good to make it scrambled in the pretense we would never get any farther ourselves. =D
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get a Perfect Cat-Eye Every Single Time
The Perfect Shadow for Your Eye Color
How to Fake Flawless Skin in Seconds
2 Kickass Ways to Wear Divergent Liner
Meet Our New Korean Beauty Correspondent
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...