A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
685 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Question about the Monkey blanket/hat  (Read 1298 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edie22
« on: January 27, 2009 09:27:59 PM »

I really want to make this for a friend of mine that is going to be having a baby soon, but I can not find the bernat denim style rodeo tan ANYWHERE.  At the Bernat site, its not even LISTED.  I'm thinking that means its discontinued?? 

Does anyone know where I can get this yarn?  Or what some good substitutions are?  She's having a girl so I suppose plain tan or taupe and pink would work instead of the rodeo tan and red? 

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Edie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps!
-Yarnies vs Sewists - crafting
-Giant Multi-Theme Swap rnd 3 - stalking

http://www.pinterest.com/edie22
antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009 12:53:10 PM »

The yarn is discontinued, but you can sometimes find it online if stores still have it. Otherwise, try Bernat Softee Chunky Twists yarn in Taupe, which is the closet match. DenimStyle Faded Kahki is also close.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
edie22
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009 11:41:42 PM »

Hi again... another question about this blanket.  I decided to go with the taupe mist by the Vanna's Choice yarn... and I actually really like it.  I've managed to make the monkeys and a hat, but I'm starting on my first square and I can not get it to look right.  I can't figure out the bobble stitch - I end up with too many loops according to the directions, and does it come out kind of lopsided and then the rest of the rows even it out?  I'm pretty frustrated. 

Plus, The N hook makes things all big and really loose and I really dont' like it.  Can I use a smaller hook?  I would much prefer the J or the H. 

Does anyone have any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps!
-Yarnies vs Sewists - crafting
-Giant Multi-Theme Swap rnd 3 - stalking

http://www.pinterest.com/edie22
antarcticraft
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Head Counselor of Camp Crochet

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009 06:52:21 AM »

You can definitely go with a smaller hook if you like, but it will result in a smaller blanket. As for your confusion, do you think  you could post a photo? It's hard to know what the problem is from your description. I do know that I had trouble with my first couple, and actually found the chart to be MORE helpful than the pattern description in this case, as I could actually see where I was going wrong.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vote for the winner of Crochet Challenge 9, our first Stitch-Off! For this challenge, participants explored Shell Stitch. Vote here!
Tangerine_Dreams
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009 12:31:34 PM »

I used a smaller hook (H or J, I can't remember) but I also used Caron Simply Soft yarns, which is a smaller yarn than the Bernats.  I ended up making my blanket 5x5 squares instead of 4x4. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(`v)
`*..*
..*) .*)
(. (. . .`..~Jessica~
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What Gets Easier and What Gets Harder
What It Means to Be a Strategist
Why a Psychologist Chooses Design Career
Design An Arts Education
Design An Arts Education - HGTV Star Danielle Colding on the Arts
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...