A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,729
Currently Running With Scissors:
664 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: sewing box?  (Read 1442 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlnamedema
« on: February 18, 2004 04:47:53 PM »

i'm starting to sew alot more/craft alot more and all of my stuff is all over the house. any ideas for fun things to put on the box/what box to use etc.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

the hottest ugly chick in the world.
Lara
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004 11:09:10 PM »

you can use a basket and line it with fabric, then put a wide fabric or ribbon band around it with pockets for your scissors, threads, and other sewing supplies.

another idea is to use a metal lunchbox, you can paint or decoupage it and stick a fabric or ribbon band in it with pockets to store things, you can stick some felt on the inside of the box lid to pin your needles in.

you can also use large cigar boxes to store your sewing supplies.

my mom uses a spice box (a wooden box with lots of drawers usually found in ikea) to store her sewing supplies in.

if i have more ideas i'll let you know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bree
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004 11:25:56 PM »

Well, this isn't very crafty, but right now most of my sewing stuff is in a really big Rubbermaid container. . . Actually... the material is scattered over the floor and needs to be put back into the container... bad me!
The container works way better than a bunch of bags, especially if you don't have a whole lot of stuff to store.

For sewing supplies like thread and pins and whatnot, I've got my grandma's old sewing basket, but for an idea that recycles and is crafty, you can use those round plastic containers that tobacco comes in. Put quilt batting on the lid, cover it with fabric, (use hot glue to stick the fabric on), then wrap ribbon around where the fabric ends. You can also use those cheap plastic strings of beads, the kind that come on a roll.
The nice thing about having the quilt batting on top is it makes a built-in pin cushion!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just throw caution to the wind... then sit back and watch your life begin"
dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004 10:40:37 AM »

I use to waste a lot of time and money looking for or rebuying sewing items because I wasn't organized. I finally spent a weekend and about 100 in supplies to get more organized, heres some of my ideas.For patterns I use manila folders which are 25 for 2.00 at like office depot, I scan a pic of the front of the pattern and tape it to the front of the envelope this way I dont have to try and fight the cut pattern back into that lil envelope it comes in (zip locs work good but they dont stand up in a file cabinet.I then store them in a file cabinet and Im ashamed to say I took up 8 drawers just for patterns . For stuff I use at the machine i made a pocket organizer that hangs under my machine it was out of old drape fabric so basically free. It holds my seam ripper a measuring guage and a stiletto etc. and my machine has its own pincushion on it. For like rulers and stuff I made custom wall pockets for each one with a silhouette of it on the outside, and I use the cheap yardsticks as rods for them, looks cute. My scissors I keep on one of those accordian type coat racks. And for little bitty stuff like grommets, buttons and snaps, I stole one of my husbands tackleboxes that has clear sides so I can see whats in each one, plus I have one of those label machines, I label everything. I put things like bias tape, seam tape etc. into clear shoe boxes, and I buy the underbed boxes and clear plastic storage bags for fabric at dollar stores when I can find them. I also schedule my sewing time, and my fandamily has learned to deal with it. I dont have a dedicated table for sewing and my machines are set up in a closet, but I still manage to sew 8 hours a week as oppsed to the measly 2 before. And when I make things like tshirts or purses I make 2 at a time and put one away as a gift . The last and final thing I did was cover one of those cardboard foldout cutting boards with felt, so if I have to put what Im cutting away temporarily i can fold it up and the fabric stays put . I keep all my in progress projects in drawstring bags with the pattern and notions needed and fabric all together and then hang it in the closet in between sewing time. I use fabric bags because I hate storing fabric in plastic, and it looks tackier then a drawstring bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
karissa
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2004 08:11:42 AM »

Thos clear zippered bags that comforters and sheets come in are soooo handy for fabric + yarn!

You can see exactly what's inside and with the zipper all the  contents are easily accesible!  Plus they are squishy, so you can cram them under your bed or in your closet or any other little crevis you may find!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love love love,
Karissa xoxo
http://www.crackersandhoney.com
silloh_77

If anyone needs me: I'll be at the thrift store...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2004 11:41:58 AM »

My new thing is  to use Altiod tins to holds your bobbins, etc. They fit perfectly.Anotehr tin holds my pins.   I put some pictures from the Joanne's ad on the outside  so I know exactly what is inside.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annabianca
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2004 09:46:29 AM »

My sewing box looks like that (it's a toolbox actually) .
I use little photo film containers for buttons, needles ... and all the little stuff.
I also use Ziploc bags for bigger stuffs like ribbons, bias...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Date Night Outfit Advice
Outfit Advice for Lazy Days
Mini, Midi, Maxi: How to Wear Skirts in Winter
How to Get Out of Your Winter Style Rut
How to Master Leggings in 3 Looks
Latest Blog Articles
October 2, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight on: Washi Tape
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...