A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby Keepsake Bottles (6 different images)  (Read 712 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oddmentsandtweaks
Editor In Cheese

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2009 01:11:01 PM »

Here are some necklace pendants I made for baby shower gifts and/or expecting parents. I also thought of the purpose of using them as a mini-urn. For instance, if a baby dies and a family member wants to keep some of the ashes. It's an idea I haven't really suggested to many people.

The bottles are wire-wrapped with a charm of baby's feet on it, and small bead charm.

The corks are removable, so that you can add your own things. Maybe a baby's first haircut? First tooth to fall out? Nail clippings? Perhaps a fragment of a favorite baby blanket to keep for later years? It's your choice what you put in the bottle! Anything that will fit!

Each bottle will hold 2ml.

The beads on this bottle are a pale blue theme, possibly to denote a baby boy?

The beads on this bottle are a pale pink theme, possibly to denote a baby girl?

The beads on this bottle are a yellow theme, for either a boy or a girl.

So what do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://oddmentsandtweaks.artfire.com
------
No swaps right now :_(
pyrovitae
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009 01:20:32 PM »

i think they're lovely and as a keepsake there is so much that you can do with the simple design you provided.

however, the idea of a 'mini-urn' is a bit morbid and best kept to yourself...the last thing a prosepctive parent would want to hear about is the death of their wee one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TallTeenTurtle
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009 01:42:49 PM »

Very cute.  Cheesy I like how the beads are transparent.

But please, no mini urn!  Shocked That might freak people out a bit.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
SassyRedhead
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009 01:44:08 PM »

I also suggest a green one for either gender.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
James Quinn
oddmentsandtweaks
Editor In Cheese

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009 01:44:56 PM »

however, the idea of a 'mini-urn' is a bit morbid and best kept to yourself...the last thing a prosepctive parent would want to hear about is the death of their wee one.

Hehe. That was my thought, too. This was the only place I'd mentioned it at all. I want to do some more specific bottles with the "urn" theme, though, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------
oddmentsandtweaks
Editor In Cheese

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009 01:45:25 PM »

I also suggest a green one for either gender.

I thought about that, too. I think I'll do that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------
LTR450GirlOrl
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009 01:46:22 PM »

I dont think the mini-urn idea is morbid at all! Miscarriages and still births happen all the time, unfortunately. I think this would be a beautiful way of keeping a little bit of the baby (or any cremated person for that matter) close by. I dont think the OP was going to suggest that to random pregnant women. The bottles are an awesome idea and would make great keepsakes, regardless of the item(s) inside... great idea!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not a real sport unless you can die from massive internal injuries.

http://i31.tinypic.com/14uja81.gif
TheSeamRipper
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009 02:38:06 PM »

I'm with the previous poster.  I think that this would be a lovely container for ashes should such a sad occasion arise.  If you do a little research, I'm sure you could find an appropriate way to market it.  I'd start by searching for other goods and services that cater to a similar population.  For example there are organizations that do portraits of and for families who have just lost an infant or a pregnancy.

These are lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DoodleLou
I don't know what I don't know. But I want to know.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009 02:56:24 PM »

My bestfriend says the greatest gift she ever got was from her Grandson.  He lives across the state from her.

He wrapped up a seemingly empty box and gave it her.  When she opened it, he told her that he put some of the love that he had for her in it. It was only "some" of the love because he had so much that he thought he better give her some...And if she ever needed to feel extra loved, she could take some out.  He'd fill it back up for her again later on.

I can see these bottle being something like that.  Perhaps filled with the love and joy that new parents have with the new baby that can be sent to a Grandparent, aunt/uncle or best friend?
A way of saying.....we love you and wish you were here.  I'd love that kind of gift myself. 

Just another suggestion for you to consider!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Self diagnosis: Obsessive, complusive crafty addict with AD/HD tendancies.

"The thing about glitter is if you get it on you, be prepared to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies." Demetri Martin

https://www.facebook.com/Feeding.the.Habit
oddmentsandtweaks
Editor In Cheese

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009 04:43:42 PM »

My bestfriend says the greatest gift she ever got was from her Grandson.  He lives across the state from her.

He wrapped up a seemingly empty box and gave it her.  When she opened it, he told her that he put some of the love that he had for her in it. It was only "some" of the love because he had so much that he thought he better give her some...And if she ever needed to feel extra loved, she could take some out.  He'd fill it back up for her again later on.

I can see these bottle being something like that.  Perhaps filled with the love and joy that new parents have with the new baby that can be sent to a Grandparent, aunt/uncle or best friend?
A way of saying.....we love you and wish you were here.  I'd love that kind of gift myself. 

Just another suggestion for you to consider!

Wow! That's so sweet! A great idea! I'll definitely have to keep that in mind. It makes me feel like my bottles can be even more special now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

------
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn to Play the G Major Scale in Violin
Keeping Elbow Still When Playing Violin
How it Felt to Butcher a 700 Pound Steer
Introduction to Vibrato on Violin
Vibrato Exercise on the Violin - Sound Waves
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...