A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,730
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: bunch o' knitting needle bangles -  (Read 11343 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SaltyFishCrackers
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008 05:07:33 PM »

Do you know if boiling them will release bad plastic fumes or make the pot unusable (except for those people who like poisoning themselves and various others I suppose, but in general anyway) ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_queen
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2008 05:36:03 PM »

love the colors!! very bright/vibrant
THIS ROCKS   Logged
doaflip
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2008 10:14:49 AM »

Ok, so I went to poundland this morning and fought my way through lots of rude people who thought I worked there (just because I was wearing black..?) and have now made a bangle. That's right, one singular bangle. It's too hot for melting stuff (!)
I used the boiling method, and after a bit of trial and error found a good way. I hope it's ok to do a sort of mini tut here. Oooh, my first finished project and my first tut, how exciting! (I'm a project starter, you see...)

All you'll need is: Knitting needles, rubber gloves, tongs, a saucepan. Be prepared to use these items for crafting only after this project, because they'll pretty much be toxic and not fit for preparing food. Seriously.

1. Make sure your working area is well ventilated, if you have an extractor turn it on the highest setting. I wouldn't recommend trying this if you have children or pets (especially birds) in the house. Fill your pan about 1/2 - 3/4 full of water, and bring to a boil.
2. Put on your gloves (just to protect your skin from any steam or splashes), and pop a needle into the pan. The pan I used was a small one that I hardly ever use, and couldn't fit a whole needle in. What I did was, put the needle in as best you can, holding the other end with the tongs, very gently and very carefully push down on the needle. As it softens it will just sort of slip down into the water, like spaghetti. You just want to apply a very slight amount of pressure, just to sort of guide the needle down, otherwise a) your needle will snap b) you'll jerk the pan and give yourself a nasty burn. Please don't do that!
3. If your water level has gone down quite a bit, very slowly pour some fresh water into the pan with a jug. Don't want to be burning any plastic!
4. The needle should be really pliable now, and I found the best way to avoid snapping is bending in the water. (Did I mention trial and error? Wink Push and roll against the side and bottom of the pan, making sure you're very gentle and that you are holding the handle of the pan to steady it. When you think you've got a good shape, take it out and have a look, but for the love of all things crafty do not try it on yet! If you're not quite happy with the shape, pop it back in the water for a few seconds and just push and roll again.
5. When you're satisfied, run the bangle under a cold tap for a minute or so, and it should have cooled completely. Voila! However if you try it on now and you're not happy, you can just heat it up again. But don't forget to cool it before trying on again!

I know I sound like a broken record here, but I just want to point out that you're dealing with boiling water and very hot plastic, so please be careful. Although I didn't find there was any smell, just be aware of how you're feeling. Starting to get a slight headache, feel a bit sick or dizzy? Turn off the stove, take the pan off the heat and sit in the fresh air. Also, if you're a minor, do NOT do this without an adult to help you. Really, truly, seriously. Just don't.

Happy crafting, and sorry that turned out to be so long!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tumblr      Etsy     Twitter
julea
I think not, thanks.

I less than three you. <3

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2008 07:31:53 PM »

Something in me stings at the thought of ruining perfectly good knitting needles, but at the same time I really want a few pairs of my own. Really cute! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littlebluegirl
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2008 11:20:51 AM »

Something in me stings at the thought of ruining perfectly good knitting needles, but at the same time I really want a few pairs of my own. Really cute! Smiley

I know what you mean, I wouldn't melt good needles.  These were cheap and I never would have used them to knit with.  Thanks for your comment Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jungrrl
Global Moderator
Crafty Business Advice Moderator
Toys, Dolls, and Playthings Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a portmanteau.

Former Full-time Craftster-er

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2009 05:45:00 PM »

Congrats!!

Craftster Best of 2008!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nicole Richie Perfects NYC Cool in Fringe, Fur, and Leather
See How Vanessa Hudgens Does Casual Polish at the DVF Loves Roxy Event
Dukes Of Melrose Fashion Picks For Last "Meal"
#MyModamobStyle: Featured Reader @NatyBaby
How To Wear A Blazer Like The Stars
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...