A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 37 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Punk Rock Backpack  (Read 14858 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

grrl13
« on: February 18, 2004 02:13:48 PM »

here's my monkey.... intarsia was a challenge for me.... i didn't use a different ball of yarn for each color break, so it was all disconnected...but I just crocheted it all back together when i finished the monkey intarsia part. I fudged it, but it's all good in the end. Mine looks a little eddie munster-ish to me, but i luv it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitcole
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004 06:21:28 AM »

That is so adorable and it looks awesome. I did my monkey in shades of pink and purple on a black bag and I ended up doing it shoulder bag style instead of like a backpack, but yours looks so cute I'm thinking about making another one and actually following the pattern for it!

-  Nicole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, triathlons must have taken Him completely by surprise."
P.Z. Pearce, M.D.
sbub

I'm not a turtle!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004 06:31:27 PM »

I love the shade of green you have used.
Very cool! And the contrast straps look good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

punkn
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004 09:02:13 PM »

I love your Eddie Munster monkey. He's the cutest! This backpack is on my to-do list now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004 01:51:27 AM »

thatis pretty damned cute, I thought it was adorable in the book, but I like the job you did of it better!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chainreaction
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004 05:36:59 PM »

i love it!! so cute. and i love the green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knittinggodess
my mom thinks im cool.............

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004 05:37:02 AM »

Hey i have all the peices for by back pack knitted
but i need help with the lineing, ive never sewn
a lining to knit fabric, did you hand sew or
on the machine
thanks
Dawn

THIS ROCKS   Logged

wanna be crafty, not quite there yet
grrl13
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004 03:35:18 PM »

did you hand sew or
on the machine
thanks
Dawn
I used a machine to sew it. Mine came out less than rectangular, more rhombus-like, ha, i used really stretchy fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarloop
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004 11:48:01 PM »

that is just so awesome! well done! i love the green  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elysium
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2004 10:47:32 PM »

I'm in the middle of knitting this. And I was wondering if anyone had ideas on how to make it a little more stiff. Maybe I could put some interfacing on the lining. Or stick a little rectangle of hard plastic into the bottom. I'd like it to remian washable. I'm just not sure I love such a limp look. But maybe it looks really great once it's on. I don't recall ever seeing a knit backpack.

My other question is: I started with the back piece (not the patterned side) and after knitting up 13 inches realised my gauge had magically changes on me and I was now 15 as opposed to 18 stiches to 4 inches. Should I knit the piece up longer or frog it all and start again? My worry is that the back is patterned by inches and the front sections are patterned by rows and I want to make sure they match up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
glitterbug

Glitter is in my blood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004 07:41:54 PM »

Hi elysium,

Some clever craftster said her grandmother used to put plastic from margarine or icecream containers into the linig. Stays washable but stiffens it up.

GB
THIS ROCKS   Logged

femmie, artsy, pinko, commie, hippie geek
http://55bisous.typepad.com
Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004 02:23:04 PM »

Wow!

You're intarsia is so perfect looking!
I was afraid to make it because it looked difficult but maybe i'll try it. The colors came out really great too!

Illanna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

readheadedgoddess

live like a kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2004 04:54:48 AM »

I'm working on this now, I've had the most ordeal w/ it b/c I wasn't doing the intarsia correctly so i stopped w/ the front and did over half of it and started again. I made the evil kenevil bunny.  Lips sealed i'll post pics. when I'm through. I tried blocking it and stretching it out, b/c the intarsia in the back made it kinda funky looking. but i'm going to take it everywhere w/ me. i absolutely adore it. I also made it for a total cost of .75$ It amazed me, b/c just when I was going to go buy some new yarn, I stopped at a garage sale and found just what I needed there. Any advice for finishing the project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004 09:14:28 AM »

Hellooooo

I am making this backpack now... My grandma sent me a bunch of vintage yarn so i am using that. I liked the monkey but didnt like the green for myself, so i am making it maroon. It's a little dark so far but i am hopeful. My other attempt at intarsia was pretty annoying so i hope i can finish this one.

Thanks for all the support!
Illanna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Duckie

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2004 10:32:46 AM »

I just made a felted bag and I fell in love with it, so I'm going to make this felted as well (don't need to worry about lining/strength that way, either!). I'm just waiting for my purple wool to come in (for the body of the bag), and I'll post pictures when I'm done. I'm also going to customize the intarsia: it's for my friend, who's obsessed with monkeys (think the evil monkey from Family Guy). She's invented a "company" called Purple Flying Monkey Inc., which is going to take over the world, so I'm going to put the letters PFM on the bottom of the back, and I'm considering knitting in wings, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Princess Dukki
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2004 09:12:32 PM »

I thought I'd share my completed backpack.

My b/f was impressed with it, he praised it for half an hour after I showed it to him (and I soaked it up like the little sponge that I am Wink).  It was sweet, cuz he was trying to make up for the trouble I had with the intarsia at first (I had to re-start, because I didn't understand SnB's intarsia directions).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What was that for?! Chickens are not your brethren!
Zoe
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2004 12:19:02 AM »

Wow, Xiaoyu, That turned out PERFECT!!! Makes me want to give it a try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Adrienne
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2004 04:35:31 PM »

it's so cute! and i love the plaid insides!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Touch not the cat bot a glove.
Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2004 11:26:00 AM »

Hey folks!

Still working on my maroon punk backpack... My intarsia looks weird.

i was wondering if the intarsia looks better after you block it.

There are little holes between color changes that are on the same row. If anyone has any advice, please help!

Illanna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Princess Dukki
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2004 11:40:25 AM »

You have to twist the yarn together, so it links.  If you know anyone else who knits, and has done intarsia, it would probably help to look at the back of theirs.  That's what helped me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2004 11:43:52 AM »

I thought i did twist it... When you say twist it, you mean just twist the 2 colors of yarn around eachother, right?

I think that's what i am doing  Sad

Illanna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Princess Dukki
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2004 12:19:01 PM »

Hrm.  Well, all I can think of is that maybe you're not pulling the loops tight enough?  I found that it looked better if I went through each row after I knitted it to pull the color-change loops tight, and I held them tighter than usual as I was knitting them too.  I could be totally off, because this was my first intarsia experience (my first knitting project whatsoever, actually) so feel free to ignore what I have to say.  Maybe someone with more experience could help. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tishlu
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2004 06:39:45 AM »

Hey, about the question for what to put in the bottom to stiffen the bag...try plastic needlepoint canvas.  It's really cheap and sturdy, but flexible, and will hold up! 

Loved all the bags!  I've wanted to make this backpack for a while, but I'm a project whore and won't let myself start until I finish a couple of other things :-)

Lulu
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Illanna24
Enemy of moths

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2004 08:33:18 PM »

I figured out what was wrong with my intarsia.... I was using size 9 instead of size 6 needles. i had them upside down the whole time Sad

I am going to try again sometime.... I got very fed up.... thanks for all your help!

Illanna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annamal
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2004 01:47:07 PM »

Oooo that backpack is so cute!  About how long did it take to make?  I wanted to make one for my friends birthday (which is a little over a month away) and I was wondering if I had enough time to make it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Princess Dukki
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2004 11:25:07 PM »

I finished mine in about two weeks, but I took a break for several days, and I had to re-do the intarsia (which I had been working on for 2 days and was only halfway on at the time), so it probably would have only taken me a week normally.  You should have plenty of time, if you have enough free time on your hands (I worked at it for about 4 hours a day, but I'm a beginner knitter, so I was going pretty slow).

Hope that helps... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mackster
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2004 10:37:18 AM »

Hey guys/gals!

I've been watching this forum for quite awhile now, but I finally decided to say hi! I'm totally loving the Stich and Bitch book and can't wait for number 2.

Im currently working on the punk rock backpack. I just finished the gusset that I started a few weeks ago, and now I think I'll do either the back or the straps. I'm using a funky turquoise acrilyc for the MC, and I'm still not sure what to put on the front for the picture. I want something simple and cute like the monkey and bunny, but I'd like to create my own design, so I'm saving the front for last.

It's a lot of fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2004 01:27:04 AM »

oo ive done the fornt of mine, and im working on the straps - double knitting just because I wanted to try it out Smiley Mine has gir from invader zim on the front Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Mackster
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2004 07:43:10 AM »

Gir? Wow, awesome idea! I won't steal it though - like I said, I'm going for something similar to the monkey and bunny - maybe a pig, because I love pigs.  Cheesy You'll have to post pics when you're finished!

Finishes the upper front - now I'll work on the back, then the straps, then finally, the front!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lekaiya
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2004 10:11:06 PM »

oo ive done the fornt of mine, and im working on the straps - double knitting just because I wanted to try it out Smiley Mine has gir from invader zim on the front Smiley
Could you PLEASE post a chart or something? I'd LOVE to make one with Gir on it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2004 04:04:31 AM »

umm yeah i will do... you might have to wait until i get the chance to do it on photoshop tho - i did it by hand... i adapted it from a cross stitch pattern my friends mum used to make a group of us matching pictures Smiley i dunnno if she made it tho or where she got it from, il post it in the discuss future projects board - oh and feel free to use it on the bag... mines turning out pretty well Smiley i made the chart originally for a beanie for my friend, i had to make me something with it tho... its sooo cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_kitten

dance the dance..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2004 01:36:44 AM »

i'm currently working on the backpack, i'm wondering because this is kind of weird..i'm working on the lower front bunny on row 12(i'm not doing anything under said bunny) is one row a knit and a purl. or just a knit and then the next is the purl? i'm not sure if that is really clear, but it seems like mine is quite tiny to what it looks like it should be. if i kniw one row then purl the next is that equal to one row in St st?

please help.

-yellie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not everything is rainbows and butterflies..
ysolda
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2004 04:54:22 AM »

each row in which you work across all of you stitches counts as 1 row, regardless of whether you are knitting or purling, hope that helps, there isn't very much space under the bunny so ur probably doing it fine, for the chart you knit across the first row followin the chart form right to left, and then you purl across the next row following the 2nd row of the chart from left to right and so on. It helps to mark every second row before you start on the chart and then tick each row off or put a lline through it as you go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_kitten

dance the dance..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2004 07:26:26 PM »

ok, well i figured it was just the way it looked, tiny and kept going. i'm up to the ears on the bunny chart, but my intarsia looks aweful. i know what everyone means by there being stings like the back of those socks and stuff, but mine have string on boths sides so it's not smooth when i weave, it's all lumpy!! help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

not everything is rainbows and butterflies..
luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2005 11:51:47 PM »

A photo of my finished punk rock backpack.

This was originally finished in May but I'm just now figuring out how to post photos here.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010 08:39:41 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
iamacliche
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2005 02:06:49 PM »

does anyone have a pic of the back of the inastarsia part?
im working on it & since it's my first inastarsia project, im kinda Undecided
i finished it & it looks kinda funky (im doing the bunny)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewincbm

maybe i just like towels!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2005 08:01:39 PM »

i was just wondering, b/c i want to do this same bag, is there anyway of doing inastarsia or a link that makes it easier, i LOVE tha snb books and i cant wait to jump into this project, i just hope it turns out as good as these ones all have
THIS ROCKS   Logged

holla
ax174
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2006 03:38:05 PM »

I made this a few years ago, before I got my digital camera, so never photographed it.  Well, that's taken care of now.  Smiley

The zipper pull is a shrinky-dink banana.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

twilight
Craftista

Aren't we all lamas really...on the inside?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2006 05:41:07 PM »

The zipper pull is a shrinky-dink banana.

Clever! Zipper pulls are so cute. Good choice on the color of the zipper too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It's just a ride."-Bill Hicks
My crafting blog: http://twilightkallisti.com/
Twitter: @TwilightChaos
LunaBlueStar

Hip Like Badass

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2006 11:40:30 PM »

This was the first thing I knitted from SNB and really the first thing I knitted other than a scarf.  It looks a little lopsided and lumpy but it has just been through a lot.  I made it about a year ago, and still carry it from time to time.  It's made from some cheap pink acrylic I bought at a yard sale and some scrap black acrylic.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Better to be hated for who you are, then loved for who you're not.
ChanPai

Is it nap time yet?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2006 08:26:44 AM »

I am knitting this project right now. It's my first time using intarsia, and I am saving that panel for last. I'm a little nervous.

I am also not used to knitting on such small needles (I am an instant gratification knitter with giant needles and huge yarn). How long did this take most of you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It doesn't beep, it goes, "Hai!"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter F
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter C
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter E
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter A
What Is Graffiti Blockbuster Style
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...