A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
623 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Yes, MORE skirts...  (Read 4403 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheWrongGirl
The illest MF from here to Gardena

Amps.

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2005 03:00:23 PM »

I know that there are thousands upon thousands of skirt posts, but I'm gonna add to the list.  I made three skirts and wanted to post them.  A girl can NEVER have too many skirts, especially in Texas where it gets 2,598,745 degrees in the summer. 

I went to Urban Outfitters and saw the cutest skirt, but it was about $48, and I just can't afford that, so I thought I'd make my own version.  Here it is: 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/TheWrongGirl/TheWrongGirl/photobucketskirt.jpg

Here is a skirt I made out of some sheets my parents have had since God was a baby.  Patterns and I do not play nice, so I just took a skirt I already have and cut the fabric in the same shape and size.  I love this one- I wore it out and got asked several times where I got it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/TheWrongGirl/TheWrongGirl/Sheetskirt.jpg

This is my first attempt at a pillowcase skirt.  This is a very old pillowcase and I will probably go straight to hell for cutting it up, as it's been in the family for a couple of generations, but hell, no one was using it, and my granny said I could cut it up so I did.  The problem I had with it was that it would fit fine around my waist, but not around my legs and booty, so I had to take some material from another pillowcase of the same color and add about an inch to the side.  This made it WAAAY too big in the waist, so I'm working on that.  I really love the detail at the bottom.  
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v181/TheWrongGirl/TheWrongGirl/Pillowcaseskirt.jpg
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012 01:14:28 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blah.
meow!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005 03:12:47 PM »

I really like the last blue one! good job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

issue #3 of my zine is out! PM me for a free copy!
Lars
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005 03:40:38 PM »

oh god i love the first one!!

one question: for the first skirt, you just cut up two pieces (using an existent skirt) and sewed it up the sides is that it?

good job lil' lady*tips hat* Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And so it goes...
TheWrongGirl

Amps.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005 04:47:48 PM »

oh god i love the first one!!

one question: for the first skirt, you just cut up two pieces (using an existent skirt) and sewed it up the sides is that it?

good job lil' lady*tips hat* Cheesy

Thank you!  Yes, I just cut two pieces of fabric using an existing skirt, and then sewed it up the sides.  Then I used quilt binding to make a waste band.  That stuff is the best thing ever.  I use it on everything i have to hem or make a waistband for.  I also did that with the second one, using a sheet. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blah.
mel-my-issa

f*** it dude, let's go bowling.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005 04:51:26 PM »

did you put a zipper on your skirts??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheWrongGirl

Amps.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005 05:00:19 PM »

Yes, there is a zipper on all of them.  I never put size zippers in, though, because I hate side zippers, so they are all on the back.

The thing I don't understand about zippers is, almost everyone I talk to in real life who knows anything about sewing is amazed that I put the zippers in by hand. (I actually do all of my sewing by hand.  The sewing machine and I decided to stop seeing each other because we don't get along, and so my ex-boyfriend has it.  They play together better anyway.)  But zippers are very, very easy. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blah.
karmapolice
Culture Vulture

1000 feet per second.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005 05:11:50 PM »

love them all!!  Grin You can never have too many skirts, even in Canada where it gets to about 15 degrees celsius during summer. I'm exaggerating, but not much.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Our hell is a good life.
Ayame
Psycho Jrocker

Hurry up hurry up wrist cut show

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005 05:46:04 PM »

Those are awesomely cute wow... I'm even more amazed that you sewed them by hand X___X Thats so crazy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SKN725
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005 06:28:30 PM »

For the pillowcase skirt that came out too big in the waist you can just make a dart on each side seam as deep as you need to to fit your waist.  The pillowcase one is too cute!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karolynprg
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005 06:44:59 PM »

Wow. You can add me to the ranks of those more impressed with the knowledge of the hand sewing.  Most of the things I hand-sew fall apart.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Suzanne Guillette Reveals Who She Admires Most
Meet Author Phyllis Montana-Leblanc
Pathfinder Book Trailer
Lisa Jones Reads from Broken
Meet Author Suzy Welch
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...