A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,077
Currently Running With Scissors:
671 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tango handkerchief w/ initials  (Read 828 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

moosecafejf

IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!!!

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2009 09:06:14 AM »

I made this piece for my hubby for his birthday.  I borrowed his handkerchief before we went our separate ways to school with permission to alter it, then a couple months later, viola.

I've been taking tango classes so I like to imagine that we are the dancers doing the tango.  I'm happy with it except that the guy's back has an eXtreme arch  Smiley I got the design idea from a line drawing of dancers I saw on an embroidery site. 

His initials are WMD (hehe), so that's downplayed a bit for those of us who spend a long time figuring out whether the D is the first, middle, or last initial.

So.. this is what the back of the handkerchief looks like.  I've never really needle-anythinged before, and I wasn't actually sure how to go about it.  Should I be doing lots of little tie-offs, or is it all one continuous thing since I only used one color?  I also clearly didn't use a real stitch... I should probably just look it up on youtube, but I always prefer input from real life crafty people  Smiley 

Thanks for looking!  You guys are an inspiration for me to do random lil things when the mood strikes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MrXStitch
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009 09:24:39 AM »

This is great.
Will he feel guilt wiping his nose with it? I would.

Top stuff!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit MrXStitch.com to see the best in contemporary embroidery!
Do you hang out at The Phat Quarter?
It's the Mr X Stitch Facebook Fan Page!
dazeychick
"I got my toes in the water, a** in the sand..." -Zac Brown Band

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009 09:32:16 AM »

I've never done embroidery before either but I really want to for a valentine present I'm dreaming up, so I can't give you any advice but I think it looks wonderful!! :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Leave something good in everyday" -Dolly Parton

http://pinterest.com/c_green
http://candragreen.blogspot.com/
IamSusie
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009 09:57:50 AM »

This is a wonderful little embroidery and you did a great job! 

Some advice for the back.  There is no wrong way to do it.  In my opinion, as long as the front looks good, who cares about the back?

In my experience, sometimes little knots on the back have a way of pulling into the front, but that is because I use and launder my embroidered things.  One of the things needleworkers do is run threads along the backsides of stitching so that there aren't long trails across blank areas.  You can embroider without knots entirely, all you have to do is run the threads back and forth along some stitches on the underside.  You can also start your first color with a "waste knot".

I hope you'll keep embroidering!  It's such fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quimera
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009 10:22:38 AM »

It's cute... I really liked, good idea!

Greetings from Buenos Aires, come here and practise your tango lessons!  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged
moosecafejf

IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009 01:57:23 PM »

I made sure he was ok with using it  Cheesy, and he shows it to me every time I see him and it is in his pocket.

thanks a bunch for the tips IamSusie Grin

and quimera, you have no idea how often my tango teacher tells us about how amazing it is to tango in buenos aires!!  I have a friend dancing his buns off there right now, I really must go one day  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
~Glenda
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009 07:23:16 PM »

That turned out really nice. I would say the male dancer is just really buff thru the shoulders and upper chest and then has a trim waist ;-).

I use knots for starting and ending threads -- it's what I'm most comfortable with. I do wash embroidered things frequently and haven't had my knots pull thru. I almost always stitch with two threads of floss, and I tie my knots three or four times, depending on how tight a weave the fabric has.

When I'm stitching on a sheer fabric, like hankies tend to be, I tend to tie off and start new threads rather than carrying threads across the fabric, only because when you hold the sheer fabric up the threads carried across on the backside will often show thru on the frontside. On something that's not sheer, it's less of an issue to me. Sometimes I do what Susie mentioned, and that's threading thru stitching on the backside. I think how the backside looks is strictly personal preference. I like the backsides of my projects to look neat, so I don't mind tying off or threading thru backside stitches Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

quimera
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009 09:20:57 AM »

Hi, Moose
I'm embarrased... I don't know to dance tango hhahaaaa
I have a Hong Kong friend, she came here 5 times (5!). She not only dances but sings tango, she always ask me Come with me to milonga, but no way, I didn't learn

there are many many places, if you come, drop me a line, you don't need to go to touristic places for dancing tango, I'll tell you where to go.
Meanwhile, look a little about tango shoes and get some inspiration for more needlework! (but remember that you don't need these expensive shoes for enjoy dancing)
http://www.tangovipshoes.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009 10:05:19 PM »

Very pretty. What a great gift for your hubby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Teen Choice Awards Best Dressed
Summer 2013 Essential Swimwear
How to Dress Like Model Cara Delevingne
How to Get the Mila Kunis Look
How to Get a Great Wedding Guest Look
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...