A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
456 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crummy jersey dresses turned awesome - img hvy.  (Read 1561 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shesxautomatic

my mom says i'm a catch.

View Profile WWW
« on: January 26, 2009 09:01:54 AM »

i was going through a big ol' pile of clothes that i made a couple years ago, and boy, some of that stuff is embarrassing. when i first got a serger (it was a janky singer deal; i have since upgraded to a babylock imagine that threads itself Wink), i had noooo idea how to use it, or thread it, and i just kind of threw the thread around and whacked out the tensions. i also only had black and white thread, and didn't *quite* understand the concept of 'stretch' in stretch knit... so yeah. some of this crap was, well, crap Cheesy

anyway, i found a couple dresses that i had good intentions for, and set about ripping them apart and reworking them (because jersey is expensive, ok! i ain't wasting that fabric!). here are two that i am especially proud of.

i don't have any before pictures, because most of the errors were stuff you had to see in person, or were to do with the construction on the inside. just believe me when i tell you, i am much more improved now!

this little turquoise dress was originally an awesome bright spring green... except i bought EXTREMELY cheap fabric that deteriorated without a few minutes of sewing. i've never seen fabric that literally fell apart, thread by thread, like that. i hadn't even washed it! and when i did wash it, it scrunched up and got stiff and... ugh. but the flowery yoke was cool, so i saved it and put it with some turquoise jersey Grin

i also gave it a sweet asym collar. loves it!

the back, and mah butt. Grin

this brown one started out pretty similar to how it looks now, except the middle panel was the same brown jersey and there were pockets at the bottom. it was AWFUL, it didn't fit anyone Lips sealed but the fabric was nice, so chop chop, and i put this sweet sweater knit in the middle and gave it a huge cowl neck.

huuurrrr, it's a little tight on me Tongue

moar butts Grin Grin

so! for those of you who are still concerned about their lack of skills - PRACTICE. rip stuff apart and KEEP SEWING.
as always, thank you for looking, and please let me know what you think Wink Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"i didn't mean to maim you.
i only meant to kill you."

www.lladybird.wordp ress.com
www.wickedtomatofac tory.etsy.com
SassyRedhead
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009 09:14:23 AM »

Those puff sleeves are adorable. I'm glad you improved enough to reuse the fabric in great ways, gives us all hope, I'm sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides."
James Quinn
dawnofdolls
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009 10:31:23 AM »

Very creative... these are great.   Wink 

I saw the post of an ugly  Lips sealed Goodwill dress you re-made into something cute as well.   Grin  I like the different versions of the neckline you've tried with this pattern.

And you're right... practice practice practice, and sewing skills WILL and DO improve.  I've been so busy, I haven't touched my sewing machine in awhile.  I need to get back to it one of these days!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please visit my Etsy shop:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/DawnOfDollz
Addie Marie
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009 12:59:01 PM »

Eee, I love when you post! so much inspiration. Smiley Both of these are great, but I really love the first one. The flowery yoke is just so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

phoquess
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009 02:02:28 PM »

These look great, I love the first one in particular!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessmonster

And so, the lion fell in love with the lamb..

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009 07:15:27 PM »

these are great! i can only hope practice will get me somewhere close to this in a couple of years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jubileebud

Yummie Doodles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009 12:07:59 AM »

I love the dresses. I like the futuristic retro spin of them. Cheesy Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NinaBerries
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009 12:53:10 PM »

I love the turquoise one and it looks nice on you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Grill Hot Dogs
How to Finish Burgers on the Grill
Grilling Burgers, Hot Dogs and Steaks
How to Finish BBQ Chicken on the Grill
How to Bake Beans for Your Chicken
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...