A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,374
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Vogue 7571- I'm in love.  (Read 23375 times)
Tags for this thread: vogue_7571  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MindWhore

Believe it or not, I do have a nose.

View Profile
« on: March 17, 2005 02:38:14 PM »

Alright, so I may have strayed from the pattern some. The bodice is completely different. I had to take it in about 6 inches in the waist! I must have been completely self-loathing when I bought a size 18.

Here's the pattern picture.

Here's me! Have to love mirror pics.

Pointy-toed shoes required.

...And the back! This is more like the color.

I still need to make a few small alterations, but it's basically done!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2009 03:42:25 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tessa
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005 03:49:30 PM »

Thats beatiful!! I love the color
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I submit my incentive is romance.
karmapolice
Culture Vulture

1000 feet per second.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005 05:14:28 PM »

swanky!! I was considering the pattern but chickened out cause lace is expensive.  But this dress looks gorgeous on you and I love the color you chose.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Our hell is a good life.
DIYdani
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005 07:13:22 PM »

Wow! That's gorgeous and the pattern looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005 08:12:30 PM »

that's really pretty Smiley I can't see myself wearing it ever, but I love how it came out
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
lauramae
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005 11:13:58 PM »

Pretty! I especially love the back of it. Yeah I was thinking about using that pattern but I decided to mak up my own instead..so I hope it's nto my downfall ha
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005 11:17:48 PM by lauramae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polkadottedpaper.co m- Handmade Love
stitchedprincess
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005 11:28:30 PM »

I'm in love too! So great! I love lace so, so much lately and you've inspired me! Did you make it for any particular occassion? I would wear it to a formal dance or something. You totally rock.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005 10:17:33 AM »

Thank you all so much! I swear I'm blushing.

I'm in love too! So great! I love lace so, so much lately and you've inspired me! Did you make it for any particular occassion? I would wear it to a formal dance or something. You totally rock.

I would wrap myself in lace all the time, if I could. This is going to be my prom dress, this year. It's my first prom, so I didn't want to end up with the same dress as everyone else, or spend more than I needed to.

I got the lace for free from the theater where I work. I'm the head costume designer, so when they get in boxes and boxes of free bolts of fabric, they don't mind if I take one or two. I get all my great fabric that way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Milly
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005 10:20:24 AM »

that is absaloutly gourgeous! well done! Smiley
i looked at that patteren too but was unsure about which length, and also its Vogue! = hard!!
Well done!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i want to walk in the snow and not leave a footprint
MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005 10:23:54 AM »

Thanks much, Milly! Actually, I'm probably going to make the shorter dress in this deep raspberry-colored lace I bought on eBay (17 yards for $25!!!). Originally it was going to be my prom color, but then I found this pink and decided on it instead.

If you do make it, be sure to send me the finished pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missgurle17
Miss Dana Rae

XoXo, Dana

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2005 01:21:40 PM »

Ooo that is beautiful, at first I was like ooo come on I need to see a non mirror picture, lol, but then you saved me. No one will have anything like it! I hope you have a blast! And BTW I am way jealous that you can steal fabric, lace is wow, expensive. Great Job!
<3, Dana
THIS ROCKS   Logged

XoXo, Dana Rae

I have 50 gmail invitations, this is a great invite only email service. Email me if you are interested.
RumGummbleBee
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005 08:41:02 PM »

beautiful!! Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005 12:53:19 PM »

Thats insanely gorgeous! I really love the fact that it has sleeves...which are so hard to find on formals. I can't even explain how in love I am with your dress! I'm sure everyone will be completely envious of it.  Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
Era Vera
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005 03:55:38 PM »

omg, i am in love with this pattern too. i really want to make the short version. i dont know what exactly it would be for, i just feel as though i must have this dress. i suppose i could wear it for homecoming or prom or something. or just randomly wear it when i want to feel beautiful. but yeah, im worried about fabric if i make this. doesn't the pattern call for some special double edge scalloped lace or something? i couldnt find any like that. but then again i wasnt really looking.

anyways, you and your dress look wonderful, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2005 09:16:41 PM »

It calls for double-edge scalloped lace, but you could work around that. Really, I think you could use any sheer fabric you want (although I love the way lace looks) and use bought trim. I almost did just buy lace and trim that matched well, but I got lucky with the pink and raspberry lace.

Also: Thanks all! I'll post prom pics after it's all over.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ORenIshii
i am the next vera wang

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2005 08:26:37 PM »

thats flippin hott!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djungelorms friend

staying sane through grad school by staying crafty

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005 08:39:32 PM »

it's beautiful and looks so wonderful on you!

p.s. i envy a job that gives you free fabric!  i guess i can have all the splicing tape i need, but, um, it's not the same.  heehee! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have you hugged a moose today?
Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2005 01:32:30 AM »

Oh I fell in love with this pattern when I saw it in the Vogue catalog and HAD to buy it several weeks ago! Not that I have an occasion to wear it or anything, but ya never know! I love it b/c it is such a glamorous 1920's look, and I'm a Jazz Era fashion fan. You did a great job on yours! Yay!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005 07:56:10 AM »

The Jazz Era is my favorite too!

Prom went really well. I had a sweet date who wouldn't let me pay for anything (except the tickets, but I insisted.. after all, he graduated last year and it wouldn't be fair for him to have to buy tickets to a prom that wasn't even his) and, when he found out that I made the dress myself (I didn't tell him at first because I hate forced compliments) he couldn't stop telling everyone we talked to. He actually brought over some of his friends and said "Hey there, sweetie. Give us a spin." I was on a cloud all night. Pictures should be in this week, so I'll make sure to scan.

Oh yeah, and I was one of the only ones there who didn't have the same dress as someone else. Seems like everyone had the same style in different colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittypryde
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2005 01:21:33 PM »

I'm totally making this. I found lace at WalMart today for $2 a yard and immiediately bought all of it. I'm glad the pattern actually turns out like its pictured.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Era Vera
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2005 06:08:57 PM »

hey, I might actually have a reason to wear this dress now. In school we have to do a project about what time era we would like to live in and why. We also have to make some sort of product. I was thinking of doing 1920's (that is the proper era for the dress, right?) and making this dress. What do you think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2005 07:46:26 AM »

I think you could swing it. What a great show-and-tell item!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
caribbeanjerk
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2005 07:52:20 AM »

I got my mom to make this for a school dance a couple of years ago, but I think yours looks much better than mine turned out.  Let's just say don't go for black lace on a black underdress with the long sleeves, looked much too funeral-like.  I might shorten the sleeves if I ever want to wear it again, and make a lighter color underdress.

Great job again!

-caribbeanjerk-
THIS ROCKS   Logged
educo
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2005 12:29:16 AM »

OH MY GOD!!  I made this dress too!!  I have to take pics and show you guys as well.  This pattern is FAB!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2005 12:01:59 PM »

You totally need to. I want to see other people's results!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
educo
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2005 06:19:32 PM »

Let's see if this works, if not my pics are in the craftster gallery
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010 02:44:02 PM by jungrrl - Reason: tried to fix pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged
educo
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005 06:22:37 PM »

Wow, it worked ! Anyway, I used an invisble zipper instead of a regular one.  I didn't have scalloped lace, so I bought extra, cut out the flowers, and handsewed them to the edges of the neckline, armholes and skirt hem.  I'm sorry you can't see the detail, but I was in need of a little black dress, that i didn't do another color.  I'm so pleased at the result that i want to make another one out of regular fabric instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Era Vera
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2005 07:18:35 PM »

That looks great! Hey, I was wondering, what's an invisible zipper? It sounds intriguing. I'm not very experienced with sewing so I don't know a lot of these things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

skye691
Fredrick VonHugleburg

I haven't died yet.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2005 11:38:21 PM »

an invisible zipper is just a thin zipper that's usually plastic and the pull is painted to match.

They're not the big huge clunky zippers that are on jeans normally, but the smaller thinner ones that you see on skirts and nice dresses.

They're pretty common, honestly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The earth, stained with the blood of a thousand dying soldiers, weeps as she welcomes them home.

http://www.tickercentral.com/view/3wl9/1
Era Vera
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2005 11:55:28 PM »

Ah cool. Thanks for telling me. I just didn't know the name for them. I feel stupid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

McJulie-O
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2005 07:58:10 AM »

Era Vera,
check out the invisible zippers at your friendly local fabric store. It installs a little differently from a normal zipper and uses a special presser foot on your sewing machine, but instead of a visible zipper where your zipper is, it just DISAPPEARS into the seam! (I love 'em, but use them only in places where the zippers won't have a lot of stress on them,...sheathes, etc)

Certainly don't feel stupid! If you live long enough you'll see all kinds of "NEW and IMPROVED" stuff, and it's hard to get it all in one gulp! Hopefully, we learn something new everyday. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
educo
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2005 08:20:25 AM »

Yeah, invisible zippers are set into an open seam, so when you zip it up, the seam closes along with the zipper, so all you see is the seam, NOT the zipper.  There is more work involved into setting a zipper like this,(like basting before sewing, another presser foot, etc), but the result is so worth it.  It's a beautiful clean finish.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Era Vera
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2005 07:01:03 PM »

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys! This is why I love craftster, always oppertunities to learn something new!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DaisyMae
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2005 02:52:45 PM »

MindWhore-  Your dress turned out absolutely beautiful!!!  I was considering this pattern yesterday, but since it didn't have any real model pics in the book, & Vogue patterns being so expensive, I chickened out.  Now that I've seen your wonderful real-life results, I'm gonna give it a try on my next fabric store trip.  Again, nice job, it turned out great!  :0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jettetheimpala
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2005 03:47:30 AM »

Wow, that turned out beautifully. I agree that it's gorgeously 1920s. I'm tempted to try, although lace frightens me. I still haven't graduated from stitching stuff out of bedsheets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the little fish have fun in the sea... http://www.quicklittlesplinter.com
britknit
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2005 11:55:31 AM »

MindWhore-  Your dress turned out absolutely beautiful!!!  I was considering this pattern yesterday, but since it didn't have any real model pics in the book, & Vogue patterns being so expensive, I chickened out.  Now that I've seen your wonderful real-life results, I'm gonna give it a try on my next fabric store trip.  Again, nice job, it turned out great!  :0)

I have seen a picture of one of the shorter versions made up in the June/July 2002 British "Vogue Patterns" magazine.  Ever since I have been hoping I could develop the skills to make it!  I love this pattern and I love your dress, you look wonderful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like work; it fascinates me.  I can sit and look at it for hours. - Jerome K. Jerome
Krista_for_the_masses
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2005 07:50:22 AM »

Dude, I just bought that pattern, and haven't started making it yet.  How did it go for you?  Anything I should know before I start?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--- I'm never going to be famous.  My name will never be writ large on the list of "those who do things," I don't do anything.  Not one single thing.  I used to bite my nails, but I don't even do that anymore ---
seizure
zombie a go go!

your words are cancer in my mouth

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2005 02:22:59 PM »

holy cow, it looks gorgeous!

where did you get this pattern?! i've been looking for something like it everywhere!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://theherocomplex.typepad.com : Knitting and Novel Writing -- what else matters?
Knit_Dork24

Do you feel crafty? Well, do ya... punk?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2005 06:47:48 AM »

This is funny. I bought this pattern last fall in hopes of making it my wedding dress. Unfortunately, I didn't buy the right size. The slip fit nicely and I was encouraged, but then I got to the lace and it went down hill from there. I ended up ditching the project completely and buying a dress on clearance at Kaufman's (local dept. store).  Tongue

But... your dress looks gorgeous. Great job! I hope you had a great time at your prom. (making everybody jealous with your totally unique gown, I'm sure) Wink

I thought this pattern was great, and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be. It's a lot of work, though. And the lace requires some patience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blondes here don't jump out of cakes

http://eat-sleep-knit.blogspot.com
polkadotgraffiti
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2005 09:48:47 PM »

wow, that dress looks awsome! I am going to make it .... someday! I have so much i want to d I tried to make it for the store i work at but they didnt carry the lace I wanted but yours looks awsome! congrats!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grapefruiit
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2005 10:39:04 PM »

oh wow!! that's so beautiful!! i have loved this pattern since forever and i was thinking about making it my formal dress.. hm, or maybe even my wedding dress, when i do get married that is............. anyways. i was just wondering how hard this was to make? do you think it'd be easy enough for a newbie like me?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2005 06:52:20 AM »

That was basically the first pattern I've ever worked with. You could probably manage it as long as you have somebody to explain the little things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grapefruiit
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2005 12:18:37 AM »

so it doesnt come with instructions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MindWhore

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2005 09:57:01 AM »

Oh it does. They're just a little unclear at certain parts and I was unfamilliar with some terms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jujus_moowee
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2005 01:39:25 AM »

oh my gosh, it's so pretty, i was going to get this pattern to make for a wedding but then decided on something else, cause thought that lace was expensive, but after seeing this i really want to make it now... the short on for like everyday wear! I'm going to look for it! Thanks! and great job you look really preety with the colours too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
imfamizzmami
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2005 11:31:46 AM »

YOU LOOK BONITA MAMI KEEP IT UP
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetis88
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2007 07:55:28 PM »

Just wondering if you have your pictures anywhere.  I am thinking about using this pattern for my bridesmaids and would love to see how your's turned out! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pleasantly Malformed
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012 08:01:13 AM »

This is so beautiful! So classy and elegant... Almost can see you laying prostrate with grief over a chaise lounge lol.  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liliovinna
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2012 12:28:49 AM »

Your design, I like it very much, but I'm not tall, I don't know the cloth is fit for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Fireworks Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Dusk/Dawn Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Copy Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Beach/Snow Scene
Canon XSi/450D: Set for Backlight Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...