A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 306,070
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: make a board game  (Read 1848 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gliterella
« on: December 07, 2003 11:02:08 AM »

Does anyone have any tips on making a board for a board game? I am creating a new game, and want the board to look professionally made.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
comfits
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2003 12:23:11 PM »

these directions assume you already have the "paper" w/ your game on it.  if you look at other game boards you will notice that the game itself is just printed onto a piece of paper.

you'll need three pieces of cardboard from a box, pizza box, cereal box, or whatever.  cut two big squares (or rectangles, depending).  cut one of the squares in half.  the big square is the middle & the two halves go on either side of the big one.  these are the two pieces that will be folded in (on top of the big square).  stick a few pieces of scotch tape on the squares just to keep them in line.  be sure to leave a slight gap between the pieces to make sure they'll still fold.

now your gonna sorta wrap them like a present.  instead of using paper, use fabric. (skip down to the last paragraph for a better idea :p) it'll hold up longer & won't rip when you fold up the game.  it's kinda hard to explain this, so just go ahead and wrap the pieces like you would a present & stick it down w/ tape.  once your done, sew all around the edge (about 1/4 inch in).  the seam that goes up the middle of your board will be covered up by your game paper.  which is where were at now.  

you might want the game paper laminated??  so, what kinda glue will stick to fabric & plastic (or paper)Huh  if you used just paper, i'm guess you could use that fusible webbing stuff (it looks like paper & you iron the two pieces together).  if it's laminated, you could sew it onto there, too.  glues might be a bad idea?  

anyway, i guess that's it.  sounds a bit complicated to me.  do you have access to really good paper like what they use on real game boards??  then you could forget about all the sewing crap & just use glue.  it's basically just a really thick paper.  oh, i know--what about contact paper like what you put on kitchen shelves?Huh  that'd be perfect!!!!  then you could use clear contact paper over your game paper!!  i'd go with this idea instead!!!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thixle
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003 04:08:45 PM »

comfits directions are superb! You could also use acrylic paint and paint pens to actually paint the board game onto the fabric. I have gone fabric painting crazt lately! But all you have to do is paint on your design (if you use those paint pens, you can get a really professional look). Then soak a paper towel on vinegar, lay it over that painted parts and iron until the paper towel is dry. Then wash the fabric (it stinks by this time)  and the paint will stay! Perfectly water-proof!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jodelicious
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003 11:12:56 AM »

I know you are talking about making a new board game so this may be off subject but I had a dream that I played "memory" with photographs and I thought that would be a fun project--take a roll of film--get double prints, trim and mount them on old memory cards or your own board-like backing (book board would work great) with Yes paste (everyone's favorite stick flat glue)  You might want to laminate or put some sort of laquer over the photos though because fingerprints can do a lot of damage.  Just an idea I thought i'd share Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures
Meatless Monday: Spicy White Bean Dip

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...