A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Greasy Classics made Vegan--MOZZARELLA STICKS and chili cheese  (Read 11327 times)
Tags for this thread: vegetarian_holiday_food , craftster_best_of_2009 , cheese  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« on: January 25, 2009 06:21:21 PM »

I've been vegan for 7 years now, and if it's one thing I can't stand, it's how so many food companies think vegan = uber healthy sprouts and whole grains.  I'm vegan for the animals, not because I have a granola fetish, and it's a very sad day when the only vegan snacks I can find are whole grain, fat-free, low sodium monstrosities.  Give me something deep-fried!

For all the other deep-fried-loving, high-sodium-diet vegans out there, I want to share my greatest discoveries: vegan mozzarella sticks, chili cheese dogs and chili cheese fries.

Before I was vegan, mozzarella sticks were one of my favorite foods, and it's been a very sad 7 years since the last time I've had them.  I got ahold of this new vegan cheese called Teese, which is absolutely amazing.  I haven't found it in stores where I live, so I had to order it online from veganessentials.com.  It was totally worth it.  I've heard that this is the best fake cheese out there so far, and I can see why.  After using some for pizza, I realized it would probably be a really good base for mozzarella sticks.  I tried making some without a recipe, which ended in an oily disaster.  Then I found this recipe for mozzarella sticks.  Apparently the trick is to double and even triple dip the cheese sticks in the breading.

I followed that recipe almost exactly, doing three runs through the breading cycle, substituting the granola-friendly whole-wheat pastry flour for good, old fashioned plain white flour.  I also used canola oil, which I use every time I deep fry something.  Much less healthy, much more delicious.

They weren't gooey and stringy like real mozzarella sticks are, but the flavor is spot on, at least from what I remember they tasted like 7 years ago.

Another one of my recent favorites is chili cheese.  My doctor chastised me for not getting enough fiber, and told me to try eating beans every day.  She suggested chick-peas and hummus, but that stuff is WAY too healthy for me.  So when I'm in need of a fiber kick, I go for chili cheese fries and chili cheese dogs.

Sorry, I eat the chili cheese fries too fast to have a picture, but I do have a picture of the chili cheese dogs I made a few nights ago.  These are really really easy to make: I buy some chili beans in sauce from the store (make sure to check the ingredients! I use Fred Meyer brand), and heat them up on the stove.  Meanwhile, I prepare frozen French fries or vegan hot dogs like normal.  For the cheese fries, I generally grate some cheddar Vegan Gourmet cheese into the beans while they're heating up, and then after I've dumped the cooked fries in a bowl, I'll pour a bunch of the chili cheese on top of them.  For the chili dogs, I cooked the beans separate and melted the grated cheese in the microwave.  If you do it this way, you have to be really quick because the cheese only stays melted for a few seconds before it solidifies again.

If anybody else tries making the mozzarella sticks, I'd love to see more pictures and hear more thoughts on them.  I've tried making mozzarella sticks with a bunch of other types of vegan cheeses, but I never had them turn out edible before.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
nevaehyeknom
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009 06:31:01 PM »

I'm not vegan, but I'm always trying new vegan or vegetarian things because I want to convert eventually and I just like to try new things-- those look awesome!  I have a friend who is vegetarian that I'm sending this link to! 

Oh, and your chilli dogs are on my grandparent's plates.  Can I please have them back?  jk, hehe.... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009 06:39:41 PM »

Oh, and your chilli dogs are on my grandparent's plates.  Can I please have them back?  jk, hehe.... Smiley

Funny story: When I was unpacking kitchen stuff with my roommate when we first moved in together, we discovered that we BOTH had the same plates.  I guess we're a good match!  PS: Your grandparents have good taste Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
amethystrain
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009 06:57:04 PM »

I eat a lot of meatless/fauxmeat stuff and my biggest complaint is that they aren't greasy enough! So I LOVE your quest for unhealthy vegan food!! Both the mozzarella sticks and the chili cheese dogs look amazing! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TwiztidBlood
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009 09:41:46 PM »

oh my gosh, now im completely craving a chili dog
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
jinn
walking widdershins...

I'm ready for my detention Professor Snape.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009 10:45:19 PM »

Awesome!  I can't remember the last time I had a chili dog or cheese sticks!  I've been vegan for..lesse, it'll be six years this summer, also for the animals.  Actually I'm the only vegan I ever heard of who actually gained weight after going veg!  Cheesy  Good to know I'm not alone in my love of things fried and greasy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no life I know, to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be...
fishie
she of the sea

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009 11:27:45 PM »

Actually I'm the only vegan I ever heard of who actually gained weight after going veg!

I gained 20.  Cheesy  After I got over the initial shock of finding soy ice cream, I lost around 10 of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
vegebrarian

I brake for kitsch!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009 10:14:45 AM »

This looks so good! I've been curious about Teese ~ I keep seeing it on veganessentials.

I'm going to have to order some! Have you tried other flavors?

I was so excited a few months ago when I made nachos using Vegan Gourmet! I never thought about chili cheese fries - I miss those so much!!!

Thanks for the idea!

My Nanna had those plates too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

provides 100% of your daily recommended allowance of glitter
TwiztidBlood
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009 10:28:26 AM »

This looks so good! I've been curious about Teese ~ I keep seeing it on veganessentials.

I'm going to have to order some! Have you tried other flavors?

I was so excited a few months ago when I made nachos using Vegan Gourmet! I never thought about chili cheese fries - I miss those so much!!!

Thanks for the idea!

My Nanna had those plates too!

my mom still has those plates! haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just moved to a new loft, please contact me for my new mailing address!
My Wist
aliceownsj00
werd homie.

Life's grand, aint it?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009 11:11:56 AM »

mmm I'm so not a vegan, but those looked really good lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
2013 MTV Movie Awards: Red Carpet Fashion - Selena Gomez, Emma Watson
Kim Kardashian Dons Some Sexy Maternity Wear at the MTV Movie Awards
4 Ways to Wear the Ruffle Trend Without Looking Too Young
Cheap Ways to Rock Coral For Spring
2013 MTV Movie Awards Style Prediction: Mila Kunis
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...