A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Disc bin... saved from the recycling bin... (image heavy)  (Read 1587 times)
Tags for this thread: origami , papercraft_challenge_14  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

foldsomething
« on: January 25, 2009 03:40:50 PM »

Ok, I guess I'll go second... I thought this was a cool project idea, and I took most of my materials from our recycling pile.  The phone book was not in the recycling pile quite yet, but it might as well be since I don't ever use it.

So here's a brown paper bag that I cut into a bunch of strips and then started weaving back together.  Originally I was going to use newspaper, but that was way too flimsy. 

Here's the finished woven bag.  I cut it into a square so I could origamize it into a box.

Here's a piece of junk mail that I started weaving into a strip of paper.  You can see how I use this in the last picture as a divider. 

Here's a pic of the finished product.  The box / Disc bin is made out of the woven brown bag.  The disc sleeves are made out of pages from the phone book.  I didn't really plan it, but it just so happened that the first disc sleeve had a message about recycling on it... a bit of serendipity. 

From this side view you can see how I inserted the woven junk mail sheet in as a divider. 

You can watch video tuts on how to make the square box and the disc sleeves at my website.  The cool thing about this stuff is that if it ever tears or rips, I just plop it right back into the recycling bin and make a new one.  Cheap and low environmental impact... huzzah!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

foldsomething.com
...one fold at a time
petsjubilee
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009 04:50:32 PM »

Very cool!  I love how recycling has really turned into a theme for this project, even though we are the only two that have posted so far.  Congrats on a job well done!

I look forward to seeing everyone else's projects! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mego
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009 07:31:56 PM »

Wow, awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing, cooking, traveling, and everything blog:
http://www.whatmegmakes.com

My stores:
http://megwest.etsy.com
http://mwest.mymarkstore.com
fiorinda
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009 09:13:35 PM »

Very cool idea.  I like the size, it looks like it would fit easily on a shelf.  I always have space issues because I have too much stuff so I've been trying to figure out a way to make some boxes to hold stuff.  I may give this a try, I like how the paper bag really looks like a basket. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seven_Six_Two
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009 12:09:25 PM »

I used to work with a guy that used paper to make boxes and baskets in his spare time. I love the idea of turning what would otherwise be waste in to something useful. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009 11:57:59 PM »

this is so cool! i love the variety in this challenge, i never would have thought of origami!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
panthermoon
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009 11:19:02 AM »

Very nice  Smiley I like how you used recyclable items and it can still be recycled if it gets damaged.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in trading? ATC Gallery

Wists

100 Theme 12/100
Happy 100 ATC 6/100
100 Music Theme 4/100
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Overtime and Rebuttals in Beer Pong
How to Play a Normal Beer Pong Play
How to Start the Beer Pong Game
Shooting Styles for Beer Pong
Rules for Playing Beer Pong
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...