A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,618
Currently Running With Scissors:
741 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felted Toad Stool Seating!  (Read 1490 times)
Tags for this thread: martha_stewart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jenna_Gayle
« on: March 18, 2009 01:54:42 PM »

I was doing a swap and found this idea on my partners Wist.  The original project can be found at this address   http://www.marthastewart.com/article/toadstools?autonomy_kw=toadstool  (I can get the dad gum html to work!)
I didn't follow the instructions exactly and I think it makes it a little easier the way I went about it!  Martha Stewart's site tells you to use several different things to make it, but these are the things I actually used

15" (or whatever you feel is a good size) plywood (I used OSB because I got it free!)
13" (just about 2" smaller than the first piece) plywood (used OSB here, too)
15" circle polyfoam   DO NOT get the high-density foam they recommend on the show's site - you'll pay out of the rear end for it!  I checked at the uphostery shops in town and what I would need to do this would cost $30-$45!  I went to Hobby Lobby and got 2 pieces of polyfoam and glued them together with Elmer's Craft Spray Glue.  Works like a charm and only cost me $10!  You also don't need the glue gun or glue sticks to attach the foam to the wood.  Just use the spray stuff again.
Electric knife - Don't worry about how bad it looks when you round it off.  Mine looked absolutely terrible and I thought about scrapping it, but once you pull the felt tight it looks perfect!
Staple gun and LOTS of staples
30" circle red felt.  I got a yard and have enough to do 2 more!
Batting - I used the cheap stuff from Walmart
Wool roving
Felting needles - I used one single needle and the Clover felting needle with 5 needles
Tree Stump
Drill
Screws

Using these materials I pretty much went by assembly instructions.  The only change I had to make was to cover the small disc with fabric.  Since I was using the OSB board my surface wasn't smooth so I didn't want to just paint it.  I got a light brown fabric, followed the same instructions as putting the batting on the large disk and Tada!

Since I was doing this for a swap and didn't finish until the night before I had to send my package off I didn't get a great picture of it!  The log should be a bit skinnier and shorter, but this one was closest to the house!

This only took a few hours to make start to finish.  It could have been a little quicker, but CSI was on!

« Last Edit: March 18, 2009 01:58:34 PM by Jenna_Gayle » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
skaborsk
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

always procraftinating..............

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009 02:53:48 PM »

very cute! i might have to make a whole slew of these for my yard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
http://www.etsy.com/shop/cappywanna
ninjanator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009 03:21:46 PM »

aww that's adorable Smiley What a whimsical touch! Although I imagine if you had it on a skinnier log, it may not balance as well when you sit on it? Dunno. Also, yes CSI = win
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
robotarsonist

glitter is the herpes of craft supplies.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009 06:21:43 PM »

I LOVE this idea  Grin

And I love that you made it for me. It's really great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009 05:55:53 AM »

Although I imagine if you had it on a skinnier log, it may not balance as well when you sit on it?

It just might!  They say to get a log that is slightly bigger on the bottom to help with the balancing.

I LOVE this idea  Grin

And I love that you made it for me. It's really great.

And I love that you inspired me to do this!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Coachella Style Guide With Alessandra Ambrosio
Music Festival Fashion Must Haves on a Budget
We Spy: Will You Wear the Socks With Sandals Trend?
How to Update Your Spring Wardrobe on a Budget
How to Rock the Midi Skirt Trend
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...