A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,739
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: clover's Needle felting tool  (Read 9152 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

elowezil
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008 06:47:55 PM »

I just bought the Clover needle felting tool but the store where I got it didn't have the felting needle mat, although the salesperson said I could use a sponge instead.  Is this going to work?  I see the pic in the packaging shows the felting needle mat to be sort of like a scrubbing brush, so would one of those work too?  I'm afraid to use the needle tool yet until I find a suitable backing/mat to use with it, in case it breaks and then I will be really really sad!  Hope someone can help.
Also, I would like to make 5 or 6 petal felt flowers with my new little gizmo - any links or ideas on how I would do this?  (The lady in the store was not very helpful!)
Thanks in anticipation ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftladyjane
East Coast Crafts Rock!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2008 01:59:46 PM »

Excellent... I have had my eye on this model for a while!! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008 08:33:14 PM »

I just bought the Clover needle felting tool but the store where I got it didn't have the felting needle mat, although the salesperson said I could use a sponge instead.  Is this going to work?  I see the pic in the packaging shows the felting needle mat to be sort of like a scrubbing brush, so would one of those work too? 

I don't know about a scrubbing brush, but a piece of foam rubber (like the kind you'd use for a chair seat) will work just fine. (I actually prefer using the foam rubber to the brush - it seems to give a smoother finish, but I think it's really a matter of taste)

Also, I would like to make 5 or 6 petal felt flowers with my new little gizmo - any links or ideas on how I would do this?

You want to make the whole flower at once, or you want to make individual petals and then assemble them?  You should be able to get pretty good results by laying the roving out in the general shape you want, needleing it, then sort of rolling the edges in,  smoothing it over and felting everything in place until you sort of sculpt it into the right shape. Or there's the method I've seen some people use to make pins, where you cut the shape out of plain wool felt and needle-felt the roving on to give it shading and color.  If you want to needle-felt the flower onto something, I've also seen people use stencils and sort of 'color in' using the roving.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
amybarnett
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008 11:38:52 AM »

I just bought the Clover needle felting tool but the store where I got it didn't have the felting needle mat, although the salesperson said I could use a sponge instead.  Is this going to work?

ok, gosh. I read a few places online that said you could use a sponge, too, so I tried it. I was about one minute into the project (first time using the tool) and ALL OF MY NEEDLES BROKE!!!!! I went out and bought the 10 dollar felting mat and now I have to buy replacement needles online for about 15 dollars. Its worth it to buy the mat!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mammallama
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009 06:30:53 PM »

I love all the talented craftsters! 

I've been reading and reading...and reading some more about needle felting.  I'm so EXCITED!!  LOL!  I bought a little kit and am waiting until I have some foam so I can start.  This forum has really whet my appetite! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2009 01:50:25 PM »

I just ordered this needle YESTERDAY!!!  I'm glad to hear all of the good feedback and can't wait till mine gets here and I can start on my first project!!!!!  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2009 10:28:24 PM »

mammallama & Jenna_Gayle
Love to see what your new-found inspiration helps you to create  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WMA
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2009 08:54:47 AM »

ok, gosh. I read a few places online that said you could use a sponge, too, so I tried it. I was about one minute into the project (first time using the tool) and ALL OF MY NEEDLES BROKE!!!!! I went out and bought the 10 dollar felting mat and now I have to buy replacement needles online for about 15 dollars. Its worth it to buy the mat!!

I know it's been nearly a year since that post but...

Peace Fleece sells needle felting needles for 25 cents each. They only offer one size...3" 36 gauge. I've only played with needle felting a little so I'm not sure if just any needle will fit the Clover tool but Peace Fleece also offers a multi-needle tool. http://peacefleece.com/felting.htm The needles are listed at the bottom of the page. I ordered needles from them because I couldn't bear the thought of paying $8 for 5 needles for a craft I just wanted to try out. For a mat I just used an old pillow...one of those little decorative pillows that are too hard to be comfy for actual use lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Uses Chickpeas for Artwork
The Morrison Hotel Photo Gallery Opens in Los Angeles
The New Zealand Night Sky Over Lake Tekapo
How to Take Photos of Food
How to Take Photos of Christmas Lights
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...