A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
855 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: machine embroidered bibs, on vinyl and ultrasuede!  (Read 6404 times)
Tags for this thread: vinyl , bib , anatomical_heart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 24, 2009 05:36:51 PM »

it seems like everyone's having babies, so i've done A LOT of hand and machine embroidered bibs over the past year! my best friend's son is now 13months old, so he's long past the point where he needs drool bibs, now he needs full coverage, easy to clean FOOD bibs!

i've seen so many cute bibs made out of oil cloth, but it's pretty much impossible to find here. plus, it's not so much my best friend's style!

i'd been thinking about making vinyl bibs for a while, and i finally got around to it in time for christmas.

i digitized all of the designs using PE Design Lite software, and then machine embroidered them. PE Design Lite doesn't have a whole lot of font options (30 or so), so i created files in photoshop with the words, and then digitized them.

this image is from a wingding font, i think it was 80s themed. the design took FOREVER to stitch, well over half an hour, and it stretched the vinyl out quite a bit, even with the stabilizer, which was irritating.

when i gave this bib to them, my friend told her son ""you'll never know what this is, but i will!" it's true, i didn't even think of that!

it's backed with brightly striped flannelette. i LOVE this vinyl, it's the same stuff i used for the vinyl octopus last winter. it's got great depth to the colour, it's almost pearlescent.

this one was a wingding as well, though i forget which font it was. halloween maybe?

i wanted a gothier type design!

it's backed in a skull print flannelette that i bought at joanns on halloween for 70% off. they only had about a yard left, not enough for a bigger project.

this one is a sublime stitching pattern that's been digitized, it was one of the samples i posted when i first started playing with the software.

it's backed with the same skull flannelette.

glitter vinyl!

torbot is one of his nicknames!

this one is backed with a star patterned cotton, because i didn't have a flannelette that matched.

their family celebrates "gothmas" in addition to the christmas that the extended family celebrates (his mom hates the tackiness of christmas), so i HAD to make him a gothmas bib!

i'm really irritated that the "mas" isn't straight, but i wasn't going to restitch all the rest of it (or waste the metallic thread i'd already used!).

the holly is embroidered in metallic thread. i think the silver was coats and clark, and the red was gutermann. i stitched the leaves twice, because the silver thread broke and it was really obvious where i rethreaded it. going over it again covered that up and made the colour a lot more dense.

after i embroidered the writing, i went back and carefully stitched around each letter with the metallic thread to tie it in to the holly better. i think i'm crazy, it took forever!

it's backed with a black cotton that has silver holly printed on it. i didn't like how thin the cotton was on the backing of the glitter vinyl bib, so i added a layer of black flannelette between the vinyl and the cotton on this one.

honestly, i'm not that happy with this one. my friend LOVED it, and i love it in theory, but it was really rushed, and i'm not perfectly happy with the lining up, or the shade of grey thread i used (it was the closest shade i had on hand.) but at least THEY loved, that's what's important, right?

i also did a set of machine embroidered bibs for sweets4ever and her son camden as well, since camden's cousin was born within weeks of him. i'm much older than my cousins, and i was always sad about it, so i'm kind of jealous that he's got a friend for life out of the deal!

i didn't like any of the fonts that were with the PE Design Lite, so i wrote up the message in a photoshop file, using one of the thousands of fonts i have on my computer. i'm not really happy with the extra stitching on the left side of the Fs, but oh well, i'm learning new things every time!

these were embroidered on brown ultrasuede, and then backed with polka dot flanellette.

i hope you like them! comment AND criticisms are welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
shanna.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009 07:38:25 PM »

These are super cute! Love the GOTHmas one. I would have thought it would be really hard to embroider on vinyl... I've never worked with it, but I hear horror stories!

Funny thing, I think I may know the person the first bibs are for Smiley If so, then the vampire fangs are very fitting since she was in the DC production of Dracula...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Destined To Fail
Craftster Duo!

2 heads are better than 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009 07:57:26 PM »

The one w/ the lips is fang-tastic!!! Cheesy Cheesy Really like the heart as well!

Love that glitter vinyl! Smiley Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

W
             WWWWW
    W      WWWWW        W
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
   WWW    WWW    WWW
     WWW  WWW  WWW
           WWWWWWW
      WWWW  |  WWWW
                      |
                      |
craftydame

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009 08:19:57 PM »

thanks, all 3 of you! Wink

embroidering on vinyl is actually way easier than sewing with it! when you're embroidering, the foot isn't actually touching the fabric, so it doesn't matter. fabric with nap is hard to embroider without proper stabilizer, but vinyl's easy cause it's so smooth. it does stretch a bit, and i need to experiment with more layers of stabilizer i think.

vinyl is tricky to sew with, but if you have the right tools, it's not bad at all. i've been working with it for years now, and i love it. i don't find it difficult at all.

i ADORE glitter vinyl, but i can't find it anywhere in canada. i stocked up on a visit with the portland mods, they have the most amazing fabric store down there.

shanna, at first i thought, DC? nope, she's in canada! and then i realized what DC really stood for, and yep, you're right, she was! that was right after torbot was born, he was backstage every night!  Grin how do you know her?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009 08:20:58 PM by crafty_dame » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Destined To Fail
Craftster Duo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009 09:22:04 PM »

vinyl is tricky to sew with, but if you have the right tools, it's not bad at all. i've been working with it for years now, and i love it. i don't find it difficult at all.

i ADORE glitter vinyl, but i can't find it anywhere in canada. i stocked up on a visit with the portland mods, they have the most amazing fabric store down there.

We usually use a vintage rolling foot when sewing vinyl & never have a problem. Just finishing up a major project involving black snakeskin vinyl. Hope to get it posted soon! Wink Wink

Glitter is hard to find! We've seen it here in Toronto, but it gets pretty pricey. Too bad because it's so fab! We really want to cover a piece of furniture in it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

W
             WWWWW
    W      WWWWW        W
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
   WWW    WWW    WWW
     WWW  WWW  WWW
           WWWWWWW
      WWWW  |  WWWW
                      |
                      |
shanna.

I reject your reality, and substitute my own

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009 11:54:47 PM »

Crafty_dame, I had a creative writing class with her in 2006. Haven't seen her around lately, but once in a while I run into her. Torbot is such a cutie!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009 12:09:25 AM »

destined_to_fail, i've tried a roller foot, but it left marks on some kinds of vinyl, so i pretty much stick to my teflon foot (best $10 EVER!). with the glitter vinyl i use a walking foot, because it's still a bit too "sticky" for the teflon foot.

you're lucky to be able to find glitter vinyl! i can't find any in vancouver, unfortunately. it's probably good though, given that fabric in canada can be double the price of it in the states, it'd be ridiculous even if i could find it! portland has the most amazing HUGE fabric store, so it's not exactly a hardship to go pick some up when i'm down there! i pay about $18-20 a yard, though i lucked out and went once when it 40% off (i bought A LOT that day).

i'd LOVE to cover a piece of furniture in it! i love the look of vintage chairs upholstered in glitter vinyl, but i have a set of chairs with awesome vinyl already. i almost wish they sucked so i'd have an excuse! Wink

shanna, that's so funny! even the internet is a small world! Grin i love torbot to pieces, he's such a darlin.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Destined To Fail
Craftster Duo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009 07:31:38 AM »

destined_to_fail, i've tried a roller foot, but it left marks on some kinds of vinyl, so i pretty much stick to my teflon foot (best $10 EVER!). with the glitter vinyl i use a walking foot, because it's still a bit too "sticky" for the teflon foot.

you're lucky to be able to find glitter vinyl! i can't find any in vancouver, unfortunately. it's probably good though, given that fabric in canada can be double the price of it in the states, it'd be ridiculous even if i could find it! portland has the most amazing HUGE fabric store, so it's not exactly a hardship to go pick some up when i'm down there! i pay about $18-20 a yard, though i lucked out and went once when it 40% off (i bought A LOT that day).

i'd LOVE to cover a piece of furniture in it! i love the look of vintage chairs upholstered in glitter vinyl, but i have a set of chairs with awesome vinyl already. i almost wish they sucked so i'd have an excuse! Wink

Luckily we have not had a problem with the roller foot leaving marks (yet). Lots of times we have just put vinyl through our regular sewing machine. We don't sew with it often enough to invest in a Teflon foot.

$18-20 a yard doesn't seem too bad! We both worked in a downtown fabric store a few years back & they would do special orders of glitter vinyl in the most amazing colours, but were charging $50-60 a yard!!! Shocked Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

W
             WWWWW
    W      WWWWW        W
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
WWW   WWWWW    WWW
   WWW    WWW    WWW
     WWW  WWW  WWW
           WWWWWWW
      WWWW  |  WWWW
                      |
                      |
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009 10:16:07 AM »

Oh wow, I can't even pick a favorite! I love these so much more than storebought ones!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mandasbrighteyes
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009 11:48:44 AM »

oh my! you have have HAVE to sell some of these on your etsy! i would love some cute bibs for my soon to be baby boy Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"In my world everyones a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies."

Wists!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tools of the Trade
Low Light Digital Photography
Simple Supplementary Lighting
Finding and Archiving Digital Images
Photographing Black and White Images
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...