A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's the lethal dose of butter?  (Read 1442 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Julz

Let's bury the hatchet. Quickly.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: January 24, 2009 02:57:57 PM »

I am about to make a batch of cupcakes (which I have never done!) and I have this American recipe that calls for 2 sticks of butter. I got online to check what the equivalent is in grams (I'm Australian) and it's 227g for 2 sticks.

So here's the botch - 3 weeks ago I made 2 banana cakes and I went online to get an icing recipe. I got one off cooks.com (which has a lot of strange concoctions that people use at home) and at the time, I assumed that 1 stick of butter was 250g! You know, cos, like, 500g comes in a square shape and 250g is a rectangular shape, more like a stick. So I used 500g of butter in icing that only required 227g. I got the icing sugar bit right (I think). But I was wondering why I had a motherload of icing left - it's still in the freezer! And seriously, I spread that icing on the cakes REAL thick, sides and all. That's not the first time I did something stupid like that...

I once made an entire cake with plain flour because I didn't read the instructions properly... when I realised it was supposed to be half plain and half self-raising, I'd mixed all the other ingredients. So I added an equal quantity of SR flour to make it even. But I'd run out of golden syrup (it was a caramel cake) so I used caramel topping and brown sugar. I didn't have the right ingredients for the topping so I thought I'd melt some butter and brown sugar in a pan and put that on top. Great idea til it solidified as soon as it hit the cake (I think I'd over cooked it) and I couldn't spread it. It sort of sat on top of the cake like a flat, slightly skewed beret. It didn't look like Nigella's at ALL. When my uncle tried to cut it, he couldn't get through the "icing" so he had to lift the 'hat' (as my brother called it as he rolled on the floor, crying with laughter) and we all took turns trying to break the toffee/fudge/whatever on our knees. I think we eventually broke it on the side of the coffee table. The cake itself was delicious if a bit crumbly (I managed to 'glue it back together' with a concoction of butter and sugar) and twice the size it should have been - which forced it to rise WAY above the top of the cake tin. Here's a picture, just in case anyone is in doubt -

The plate on the left has broken toffee hat, the plate on the right is the borken cake. The gormless looking girl in the photo - I've never seen her before in my life...  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beadingjunkee
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009 04:52:09 PM »

Wow. I know nothing about baking or cooking for that matter. But I think butter makes everything better Cheesy Especially lots of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KellyMilly
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009 11:37:29 PM »

I'm sorry you had so much trouble, but your post had me laughing.

At least you have a story to tell at parties now!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Glitter in Face Painting
How to Face Paint a Bat Mask
How to Face Paint a Christmas Poinsettia
How to Face Paint a Reindeer Face
How to Draw Cartoon Bodies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...