A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,170
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Midlands  (Read 13407 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flapper
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2005 08:35:20 AM »

oh i'm getting along!  only been here a little over three weeks now, tho it seems like much longer!  i went to paper gourmet and stayed for the longest time.  i'll have to limit my trips there to once a month.  and they were so nice and walked me over to gadsby's, which was nice but not as great as p.g.!  and i went to gladragz yesterday and dan there is such a sweetie!  they've got some great stuff, tho it was a little too dark to see most of it!  i'm gradually finding my way around.  i'll be looking forward to stitch n bitch to meet some crafty ladies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.flapbags.net

handmade bags and wearables inspired by a love of nostalgia and assymetry.
Littlejo
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2005 02:24:53 PM »

I went to the tate modern art gallery in london 2day it was sooo cool! yey. lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
difazio
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2005 01:36:06 PM »

hello crafty midlanders. :>  i am currently in wolverhampton (near birmingham, sort of) and actually have managed to wangle myself into working for the art gallery.  so in terms of craftiness, i know a bit about local facilities etc.

e.g. bilston craft gallery, which is a fantastic gallery dedicated to craft and especially local crafts (such as enamelling, japanned wares etc.) and is about to open a new exhibition called 'deconstruct: reconstruct' which focuses on contemporary crafty people and looks like it'll be very exciting.  there's also a textile group starting up in response to the exhibit.

then there's wolves art gallery which is mostly closed for refurbishments and the building of a fab pop art gallery, but we do have a contemporary exhibition on at the moment called 'courage is stronger than fear' and it has some interesting bits and bobs in it.

there's also bantock house and museum which is an arts & crafts style edwardian building and i used to go to as a child, so i have a special soft spot for it. Smiley

aside from my work related stuff, there's a knitting group in beatties which is on saturday afternoons 3 - 5, and tuesday lunch times (but can't remember the time) and then there's gadsby's art shop next door to beatties.. and at chapel ash there's high town art shop, and near bantock park a wool shop called 'la tienda'.... also, near central library there's another wool shop called 'wulfruna wools' - both these shops do mainly acrylics, nothing very posh.  beatties is your best bet for that, or online.

i am majorly waffling.  make me be quiet!

Smiley

adrienne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vez
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2005 08:29:29 AM »

I live in Birmingham in Uni term time!  Grin

me too! Where are good crafty shops in brum? I've been to the indoor market but all I found was a shop selling wool! I guess maybe in areas that aren't in the centre of town...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ilovepinksparklies

It's not my fault I have a blonde personality!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2005 09:49:44 AM »

Ive still not found any either! I still love living here though!!

me too! Where are good crafty shops in brum? I've been to the indoor market but all I found was a shop selling wool! I guess maybe in areas that aren't in the centre of town...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
razorbladesky

'In you I feel so pretty. In you I taste God.'

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2005 06:27:19 AM »

adrienne i live in wolverhampton too.
just thought youd like to know being random.
i make hair extensions and get some of my wool from wulfruna wools. its pretty cheap which helps seeing as im a student.
i have no idea what the point of this post was but oh well.

kerry
xxxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Raggy_Pink
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2005 03:41:43 AM »

Where are good crafty shops in brum?

Well, I've only been here just over a year, but I work in the Rag Market part of the week for Barry's Fabric. So, apart from us (and our shop which I work in the rest of the week, which is at 1 Moseley Street, right behind the wholesale market) there's several fabric stalls, a whole row of haby stalls with bottons, zips, ribbons, sequins, threads, etc etc etc. There's a chap that sells some fun fur fabrics and some Patons acrylic yarns, and a few other crafty bits and bobs. There's a few hardware type guys, if you look hard enough you can find all knids of interesting things. Thats just the Rag and outdoor markets. If you go into the indoor market there's a fairly large haby place on one of the side walls, they have ribbons, yarns and all sorts of crafty bits and pieces. I have to admit, the first time I walked around I didn't see much potential, but the more I go there, the more I see. Same for all the stalls in the markets. Oh and if you're looking for stretchy fabrics, then on a tuesday there's a woman on the outdoor market that does all kinds of stretchy stuff, but it does take some searching to find stuff thats not best suited to dance costumes.

Then there's the new haby dept in Rackhams, all Coats stuff (that includes yarns by Rowan, Jeager and Patons and lots of crafty bits) and the staff are really nice and lots of fun!

Fancy Silks which is opposite the markets (I've only been in there once and didn't like it much myself, and I'm always getting told by customers that they come to us because they're really rude in Fancy Silks...but they do seem to have a good selection, but we're pretty damn good too I might add  Wink ).

Outside of the centre I've so far found John Lewis in Solihull which is useful, then there's a wool shop in Northfield shopping centre thingy and one in Cape Hill. There's also a really nice shop by Morrison's in Borders Green (I think, it's the one by the Blue's ground if that helps).

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of purely craft, it seems to be more knitting and fabrics (which suits me!)

Hope this helps. If you happen to be in the Rag Market or Barry's Fabrics (and do come!) I'm the one with curly hair thats pink (currently anyway, it was turquoisey green a few weeks ago) at the front and I'm called Janine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kousagi
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2005 05:18:41 PM »

I'm moving to Birmingham tomorrow.
First time I've been there, I'm nervous, fingers crossed it was a good town to pick.
Now I just need to find a job preferably a crafty one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Once upon a time...
wood
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2005 08:25:14 AM »

Hello I'm new here thought I'd post somewhere. I live in the midlandsish. I go to birmingham lots, it is an ok place don't worry people who are moving there. I would say the markets are pretty good but there always so busy whenever I'm there. does anyone know of an art shop in birmingham that sells proper artists paints or pens? Sorry if ones been mentioned already, went round birmingham for ages the other day not finding one
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debsign
« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2005 03:04:43 PM »

hello all
If you are at a loss of what to do on a Saturday Morning, you are very welcome to come to the S n' B meeting we have in the centural Library between 11 and 1 pm, everyones welcome just bring your knitting along and join in the chat!

Debbie (the rebel sock knitter!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ i'm sittin' so i'm knittin'! ~
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Straighten Afro Hair
How to Use Hair Straighteners
How to Create a Messy Knot
How to Be a Beautiful Redhead
How to Be a Brilliant Brunette
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...